Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2023, 09:56 AM   #1

Pentax K-50 Repair

Hi All - I am looking to repair my wife's K-50. When photos are taken not in "live view", the photos all come out extremely dark. I've been searching the manual for a fix but not luck so far. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thank you,
Bill

10-26-2023, 10:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Bill...welcome to PentaxForums!

I'm moving your query over to the "Troubleshooting" section, where more knowledgeable members can chime in with suggestions and questions.
10-26-2023, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdurdel Quote
Hi All - I am looking to repair my wife's K-50. When photos are taken not in "live view", the photos all come out extremely dark. I've been searching the manual for a fix but not luck so far. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
It is the common ABF problem, also called dark image syndrome.

The solenoid in the aperture-control is stuck.
You find out for sure:
Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com
and then either accept it and use it for manual lenses with an A-Ring

or apply DIY:
Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com
10-26-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fortunately it's a problem that has different options to fix without sending to Precision and paying more than the value of the camera. Follow photogem's links and advice, he is the expert on the subject.

10-26-2023, 02:14 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, I hope the various responses have helped you to identify your issue.
10-28-2023, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If DIY isn't for you, then I recommend:
Pentax Camera Repair - Aperture Control Repair

The price charged is $ 100 + shipping and they give an unofficial life-time warranty (their official warranty is 1 year which is longer than others).
But if DIY is somehow possible for you, then find the true DSLR Japan white solenoid.
Sadly the solenoid 3rd generation sold by John Pye in UK is not available outside UK for that excellent price.
Further information you can study here:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
12-18-2023, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #7

I followed photogem's instructions and it was quite easy to do. I bought a solenoid off of ebay for $50 so still a good deal but I believe someone sells them here in the forums for $30 shipped. I fairly handy and regularly replace phone and laptop parts so I didn't hesitate to do the work. I also have a soldering iron and small tools so it didn't cost me anything extra. IMO $100 is a good deal if you don't have the patience, tools, time, or confidence to do the repair yourself.