Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #1

Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 and LX focusing issue (or is it?)

Hello!

I'm brand new to this forum and I look forward to learning from all you fine people.

A little background: I recently purchased a Pentax LX that came with a Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 lens. The camera is in great cosmetic shape, not a ding on it. It had a mild case of the sticky mirror syndrome which I managed to correct by gently applying graphite powder to the sticky mirror rest. That seemed to clear it up pretty easily. I decided to run a roll of film through it before I sent it off to a camera repair shop for a once over and CLA.

When I was out and about today, I found a spot to take some photos and test everything out. First, with the lens on my ME Super, I took a couple shots of an old abandoned farm yard (buildings were about 150 yards away) everything worked beautifully throughout the focal lengths. I switched the lens to the LX and tried to take the same shots. I noticed that I couldn't get the image to focus using the split image spot. The focusing ring would stop at infinity but I couldn't get it to line up, no matter what the focal length was set to. It will focus much closer, but I can't seem to get it to focus farther out.

TL;DR - Lens seems to work perfectly on the ME Super but doesn't seem to focus beyond 25' (it gets close, but not quite) with the LX.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

EN

12-06-2023, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the mirror is out of alignment due to the mirror stops "shrinking or swelling" with age the focus in the viewfinder will be off, try focusing on the film plane with some frosted plastic instead of film and see if it is ok at the film plane vs via the viewfinder and mirror
12-07-2023, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LX has interchangable screens. I would suggest to check if the screen is insert correctly.
12-07-2023, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a dumb question, but the lens didn't accidentally get into close-focus mode, did it?

12-07-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
many of the LX interchangeable viewfinders have diopers - make sure your diopter is set to a zero correction.
12-07-2023, 02:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The shop that serviced the camera should have checked focus. Maybe the screen popped out of place in shipping.
12-09-2023, 12:32 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I tested a couple other lens that I have, they are all doing the same thing. So, obviously it's the camera. I also checked the diopter adjustment on the viewfinder, it is set correctly.

I'm sending it out this coming week for an assessment and repair/CLA.

Thanks again,

EN