Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2023, 07:05 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*Non-Pro* Tip --- Battery check!

I learned the hard way that before you go out on a road trip to take pictures an hour away from your house, you may want to turn the camera on and check to see if the battery is not dead.

Had an hour of panic driving home after I took THE. VIRIDIAN to the truck garden to get some test shots and flipped it on and... nothing. I had no spare on me, I didn't notice if it was already on when I grabbed it, and I vaguely recalled pulling the SD cards out and reinserting them and seeing the blinky light a few weeks ago.

Biggest worry was if this was actually a camera issue and not just a dead battery ... the baby does not have a US warranty.

Anyway, got home, put in a spare battery and all was well - including the date/time, so no harm done, other than to my mood and my gas tank.

Will never make this particular mistake again, but I expect I'll make a different one next time.

This is how we learn stuff.

12-09-2023, 07:19 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw this only recently ahead of my son's high school graduation. A friend of a friend was there with their Nikon to grab some shots...flipped the switch...nada!

Fortunately I had shown up with my trusty K-1 fully charged and ready to go! We managed to still get shots of the boys in their suits!

Moral of the story...you just need more cameras? Then at least one of them will probably be charged ;-)
12-09-2023, 07:51 PM - 7 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some day soon I will probably get somewhere with camera bag full of batteries, cards and lenses and where is the camera????🤪
12-09-2023, 08:00 PM - 6 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Always carry spares.

12-09-2023, 09:34 PM - 4 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Oh this applies to so many more things that just batteries. Check your gear before you head out. I have proven myself to be an idiot on so many occasions.
12-09-2023, 09:47 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Pro tip - sort it out when you get back from a trip so it's all ready with minimal fuss when the next one pops up. Clean glass, recharge batteries, D/L & format cards, etc.
12-09-2023, 09:55 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah we've all been there. It's one good reason to take your camera in a bag, which is always stocked with a few essentials: spare battery, spare SD card, polyfibre cloth.

Of course when you have 3 cameras (using two different batteries), 12 lenses, 2 TCs, 6 bags, filters and filter spanners, step rings, flashes and batteries, triggers, diffusers, spare caps, tripod mounts for two different tripods, tripods in different locations and a monopod in another .... well, let's say there is plenty of scope for missing something.

12-09-2023, 09:58 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been there, done that! Recently, too! Actually had the spare batteries in the car, but left them in the car. An hour's walking.....and it was back to the car!!!!
12-09-2023, 10:01 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. Batteries, SD cards, correct lenses and filters. Flash if applicable
12-09-2023, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
before you go out on a road trip to take pictures an hour away from your house, you may want to turn the camera on and check to see if the battery is not dead.
I'm one of those photographers who never shoot the last frame on a film until I'm about to hand it over to the technician to get it processed, and in any case I have a back up roll on hand just in case..And I have cultivated similar habits when it comes to my digital cameras when left without power can become a very expensive paperweight. So even on an impromptu jaunt I will pack an extra battery just in case.

Last edited by Digitalis; 12-10-2023 at 03:04 PM.
12-09-2023, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #11
dbs
Pentaxian

Oh yes spare batteries .. got it .. yes ... need it ,put into camera turn back on ,.. Oh no ....... empty ......
12-10-2023, 01:59 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always at least one extra battery and one for gps or whatever powered accessories you carry. And an extra QR plate as I forgot that once.
12-10-2023, 02:14 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Sure I've said this before - maintenance routine :

Once a month (usually on 1st, except January - too hung over !) I charge all spare batteries, swap ones in camera and grip for freshly charged ones, replace current 'spares' with freshly charged ones, clean contacts on camera and all lenses, use home rocket blower on sensors and mirror (other rocket blowers stay in Ziplocs in camera bags). Once every few months, completely empty camera bags (dividers, shock-absorbing bubble-wrap, ancillary equipment etc) and clean interiors with portable vacuum cleaner. Check security of camera, binocular and bag straps, scrub (gently) zip closing pockets on bags with old worn toothbrush. Every six months, re-apply waterproofing spray to bags (if any left over, do same to body warmer).

Works for me - YMMV.

T
12-10-2023, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I went on a trip of several days a couple of years ago and found I had brought the camera without its battery in it. It uses the D-L190, so no way to buy one where I was. The episode prompted me to buy a grip and keep it on the camera, because the grip can take AA batteries which can be bought anywhere. Nowadays I have the D-L190 in the camera body and a normally empty AA carrier in the grip. Admittedly it is a faff recharging the L-D190 because I have to remove the grip first to get it out.
12-10-2023, 03:58 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

I've arrived at destinations with camera and no SD card before. I've also arrived with empty battery, only to find the spare I brought was also empty. You name it, it's happened to one of us. Thankfully it appears I have learned from these errors, as unfixable surprises don't seem to happen to me anymore. Regardless, @35mmfilmfan's maintenance schedule sounds well thought out, and I might try to develop a similar routine. Thanks!