Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2023, 12:53 PM   #1

K-70 Software Update

OK, there are updates for the Astrotracker and my K-70 has it, so says the index. I cannot find any means to update software for the K-70. Is there such an animal? If I hook-up the USB I can't see anything on the camera screen. I'd better ask.

12-11-2023, 12:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eyetookem Quote
OK, there are updates for the Astrotracker and my K-70 has it, so says the index. I cannot find any means to update software for the K-70. Is there such an animal? If I hook-up the USB I can't see anything on the camera screen. I'd better ask.
The update file...... .bin has to be on a SD card
12-11-2023, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The update file...... .bin has to be on a SD card
Detailed instructions are provided at the end of the Ricoh page from which you download the firmware update. It is simple and painless. Format the SD card first, and make sure your battery has plenty of charge.
12-11-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the K70 is included on this latest round of firmware updates. It isn't on the list. Different versions of Astrotracer in the listed cameras. Too bad, I have a K70 also.

12-11-2023, 03:19 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it was included with the KF?
12-11-2023, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, but I'm not willing to brick my K70 with an update for a KF...the cameras are very similar, but... if Ricoh didn't include to K70 on the list, they have a reason. IMO
12-11-2023, 06:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
There is a Firmware Update 1.14. "Corrected --- When using the Astrotracer function with remote release, certain operations may cause the bulb timer time to be applied instead of the Astrotracer time." This from the Ricoh site. I'm not sure I need an update because I don't even know about Astrotracer but I just like to have all I can in the way of updates. I'm new to the K-70 so I have to be careful of what I do.

12-11-2023, 06:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Yes, but I'm not willing to brick my K70 with an update for a KF...the cameras are very similar, but... if Ricoh didn't include to K70 on the list, they have a reason. IMO
The Ricoh site had a new firmware update for the KF ( to Ver 1.31 ) primarily for enabling the focus limiter on the DA 35 macro. Nothing mentioned about Astrotracer function being included in this update from what I read.
12-12-2023, 08:07 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Latest firmware for the K70 is v 1.14.
12-12-2023, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eyetookem Quote
There is a Firmware Update 1.14. "Corrected --- When using the Astrotracer function with remote release, certain operations may cause the bulb timer time to be applied instead of the Astrotracer time." This from the Ricoh site. I'm not sure I need an update because I don't even know about Astrotracer but I just like to have all I can in the way of updates. I'm new to the K-70 so I have to be careful of what I do.
Good idea! Always stay with the designated firmware downloads and you should be safe with your updates. I'm not sure if the K-70 would even update from the KF the KF bin files.