Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2024, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #1

Help with manual focus pentax for glasses wearer

Hello to the forum, i wear all my life glasses since i cant see far. I got s pentax mx with an 28mm 3.5 smc m lens and while i really like the combination and the camera feels great in the hand the viewfinder is clearly not made with glasses wearers in mind. I cant see the whole frame if i dont move my eye around wich makes me somehow not enjoy the procedure at all. I like 28 but i must be able to see the corners too. Which pentax camera has a glasses friendly viewfinder with a lower magnification ?
Thanx for your time

03-02-2024, 03:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There is not any glasses-wearing-people-friendly camera. I have worn glasses most of my live and viewfinder focusing never hampered me with getting the good results and enjoying taking pictures. Just a small change of mind would help you: you do not have to see the abundance of information in the viewfinder, they only take your mind of what is really important. And really important is the subject and your composition. And the lightmetering, perhaps. Manual focusing became really difficult with the first DSLR's, but then you have the help of AF if you want to.
03-02-2024, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gzisis69 Quote
Hello to the forum, i wear all my life glasses since i cant see far. I got s pentax mx with an 28mm 3.5 smc m lens and while i really like the combination and the camera feels great in the hand the viewfinder is clearly not made with glasses wearers in mind. I cant see the whole frame if i dont move my eye around wich makes me somehow not enjoy the procedure at all. I like 28 but i must be able to see the corners too. Which pentax camera has a glasses friendly viewfinder with a lower magnification ?
Thanx for your time
You may want to find a correction lens adapter M.
Attached Images

Last edited by Argos; 03-02-2024 at 03:38 AM. Reason: spelling error
03-02-2024, 03:43 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
There is not any glasses-wearing-people-friendly camera. I have worn glasses most of my live and viewfinder focusing never hampered me with getting the good results and enjoying taking pictures. Just a small change of mind would help you: you do not have to see the abundance of information in the viewfinder, they only take your mind of what is really important. And really important is the subject and your composition. And the lightmetering, perhaps. Manual focusing became really difficult with the first DSLR's, but then you have the help of AF if you want to.
I dont want to see any informations on the viewfinder since i always use an external lightmeter but id be happier to be able to see my whole frame and not have to move my eye around to compose a photo. On evfs its easier to me but then you have the delay which for street is sometimes not wanted.

03-02-2024, 05:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thread moved to "troubleshooting"
03-02-2024, 06:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

One solution (or at least partial solution) is to get spectacles with very small lenses (think John Lennon-type), which will enable you to see more of the image in the viewfinder. I use these for photography and birding (so I can see the entire field of view with binoculars). I have tried the suggested correction lens adapter, but since this required removal of my glasses completely, I found it unacceptable, since my furthest focus without glasses is about three feet away ! And please, no-one mention contact lenses !

If it's any help, it's not just Pentax - I have the same problems with my Nikon F2 and Nikkormat.
03-02-2024, 06:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
One solution (or at least partial solution) is to get spectacles with very small lenses (think John Lennon-type), which will enable you to see more of the image in the viewfinder. I use these for photography and birding (so I can see the entire field of view with binoculars). I have tried the suggested correction lens adapter, but since this required removal of my glasses completely, I found it unacceptable, since my furthest focus without glasses is about three feet away ! And please, no-one mention contact lenses !

If it's any help, it's not just Pentax - I have the same problems with my Nikon F2 and Nikkormat.
I never had this problem with the nikon f3hp but the weight drove me crazy after 2-3 hours on the streets

03-02-2024, 07:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The diopter correction lens adapters have already been mentioned. You can also get eyeshades for the viewfinder which will accept a small lens. Get your opticians to cut down the lens from one of your old spectacles to fit. Another possible option is one of the viewfinder magnifiers you can get. These (not the pentax OME53) will also allow some diopter correction (but possibly not enough). They will assist with focus but they also restrict your viewfinder view.
I oscillate between just going with my specs and dealing with it, and using a VF magnifier that gives me additional diopter correction.
03-02-2024, 07:24 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use diopter correction, which is built-in on my digital cameras, but I added a corrective gadget on my Spotmatic. Very helpful. The nuisance part is having to remove my specs, but there are many options for dealing with that.

BTW, welcome to PentaxForums!
03-02-2024, 09:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OrchidJulie:
I've had eye problems due to sequelae from an auto-immune issue, including some CME's (cystoidal macular edema) which has put holes in the retina of my "good" eye, the one I focus with. As a result of the drugs I had early development of cataracts in both eyes, which were successfully operated on for artificial lens implants. For the first time ever I could drive without glasses, but my arms are now to short to read with...I use drugstore cheaters.

What I've got are the little cords that attach to the bows of the glasses...to take a picture I flick the glasses off my nose and let them dangle from the cord while I swing the camera around on its strap and up to my eye to take a shot. With a little practice it's just a second between seeing something and taking the shot. And it saves me from buying piles and piles of cheaters, since I used to lose them all the time.
03-02-2024, 09:15 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blackwing1 Quote
OrchidJulie:
I've had eye problems due to sequelae from an auto-immune issue, including some CME's (cystoidal macular edema) which has put holes in the retina of my "good" eye, the one I focus with. As a result of the drugs I had early development of cataracts in both eyes, which were successfully operated on for artificial lens implants. For the first time ever I could drive without glasses, but my arms are now to short to read with...I use drugstore cheaters.

What I've got are the little cords that attach to the bows of the glasses...to take a picture I flick the glasses off my nose and let them dangle from the cord while I swing the camera around on its strap and up to my eye to take a shot. With a little practice it's just a second between seeing something and taking the shot. And it saves me from buying piles and piles of cheaters, since I used to lose them all the time.
Thanks. Yes, the "little cords" are an obvious option, one I think about every time I've tried to prop the specs atop my head and they slide down. I should be able to make some, easily, I have all the components right here (I occasionally play with beadwork, eyeglass holders are easy, I might actually have a few stashed somewhere). I just never remember them until I'm out in the field somewhere...<duh> There should be a set or two in the camera bag...maybe I'll make that Today's Project!
03-02-2024, 01:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just thinking. Would it help to remove the square rubber of evf ( shifts up)? It is there to improve comfort if you push your eye against camera, but if you wear glasses..., you gain a millimeter ( on older calera even bit more). Only worry: scratches on your glasses?

Also: recheck your diopter on evf. Sometimes I find it to be pushed off its ’good’ setting . If camera focussed and I don’t see scene sharp, I know my diopter was pushed off mark... happens me all the time.
03-03-2024, 02:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read this question another way.
Even if you had perfect sight and no glasses, you would still have this problem because 28mm is wide angle and the viewfinder on the MX is massive, it is recognised that you need to look around the frame.
03-03-2024, 08:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The MX is unusual in having a high magnification and high coverage viewfinder, second only to the LX. However the key piece of information you need for use with glasses is what is the eyepoint also known as eye relief. This information isn't always available though.

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2021/02/un...from-2002.html is a very useful discussion of viewfinders.
03-03-2024, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I can see the whole of the viewfinder in my MZ-M when wearing my spectacles ... but I don't have the rubber cup fitted 'cos it perished
It is important to have the eye central to the viewfinder to be able to see into all the corners!
I've recently acquired an F 17-28mm fisheye, so I do appreciate the need for seeing into the corners when I've got this fitted
If I fit my Ref A right-angle viewfinder I can still see the whole screen normally, but have the advantage of 2x magnification available if I feel I need it
My spectacle frame is thin metal "aviator-style", so the lens of my spectacles can fit quite close to the eye ... I'm sure that helps