Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2024, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax KF light meter.

Hi everyone,

My new KF was working great until I attached one old manual lens and changed the settings to get it work. After removing it and putting my 50mm 1.8 on, the internal light meter doesn't not work. I tried the factory reset but it didn't help. Changing aperture and shutter speed only changes the EV value on the right in the viewfinder. The LCD one works fine. Any help would be appreciated. I spent my last penny buying this and had plans for my summer set and now I'm worried. haha

---------- Post added 04-02-24 at 01:06 PM ----------

Well, I managed to fix it but I'm not sure how. haha I'm just glad it's working.

04-02-2024, 01:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Foggy Quote
Hi everyone,

My new KF was working great until I attached one old manual lens and changed the settings to get it work. After removing it and putting my 50mm 1.8 on, the internal light meter doesn't not work. I tried the factory reset but it didn't help. Changing aperture and shutter speed only changes the EV value on the right in the viewfinder. The LCD one works fine. Any help would be appreciated. I spent my last penny buying this and had plans for my summer set and now I'm worried. haha

---------- Post added 04-02-24 at 01:06 PM ----------

Well, I managed to fix it but I'm not sure how. haha I'm just glad it's working.
Glad you got it working. A few days ago, my TV was showing everything in psychedelic colors. After trying several channels an on air programming I was getting ready to replace it. I plugged it back in for one more check and everything returned to normal.🤔
04-02-2024, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You say you changed settings to get it to work. How are you using your old lens on the KF? Is your MF 50mm f.8 lens one of the "A" series having an "A" setting on the aperture ring? If not, the standard way for all Pentax DSLRs when using a MF lens not having the "A" setting, the new K-3 III might be an exception, is to first enable use of the aperture ring through the custom menus, then shoot in the Manual exposure mode and set your choice of aperture on the ring then hit the green button for the camera to set shutter speed for proper exposure.
04-03-2024, 08:26 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
You say you changed settings to get it to work. How are you using your old lens on the KF? Is your MF 50mm f.8 lens one of the "A" series having an "A" setting on the aperture ring? If not, the standard way for all Pentax DSLRs when using a MF lens not having the "A" setting, the new K-3 III might be an exception, is to first enable use of the aperture ring through the custom menus, then shoot in the Manual exposure mode and set your choice of aperture on the ring then hit the green button for the camera to set shutter speed for proper exposure.
It was a fully manual lens. I did go in enable the aperture ring, customized the green button, and it worked fine. It was switching things back and putting on my DA 50mm f1.8 that seemed to have caused the light meter to stop working. Started working again after switching lenses a couple times and taking a few shots. So, I'm not sure what really caused it. My best guess is, one of the contacts on the camera got dirt/dust on it somehow and switching lenses a couple of times cleaned it. haha

---------- Post added 04-03-24 at 08:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Glad you got it working. A few days ago, my TV was showing everything in psychedelic colors. After trying several channels an on air programming I was getting ready to replace it. I plugged it back in for one more check and everything returned to normal.🤔
That's really weird. Hopefully it was nothing serious, I'd be worried it would happen again every time I turned it on. I've turned my camera on about 10-15 times since it started working just to make sure it wasn't going to happen again. haha

04-03-2024, 09:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
MikeNArk:
Our old Philips LCD TV does that every once in a while...the sound works fine but the picture turns peculiar shades of purple. Fortunately, just recycling the power to it has solved the problem every time so far (knocks wood).

Foggy:
Glad you got your KF working again without too much trouble. My old K100D that is the repository for all my old film-era M42-mount lenses doesn't HAVE a green button, and I've had to learn to work around that. There are some truly great old lenses out there that deserve new use.
04-03-2024, 07:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How new is your camera? If you recently got it, you might still be able to return it to swap for another new copy. What you describe is not normal. The only other thing I can think of, perhaps somehow a near-invisible substance of some kind got onto the contacts of your camera- maybe from the old manual lens, then your modern lens's mount contacts failed to engage. Some cleaning of all surfaces of contacts- both lenses and camera, should be undertaken as first measure against the re-occurance of this problem. Then, keep using one then the other afterwards to make sure.
04-05-2024, 12:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plug on your manual lens again, set your K-70 to M-Mode, green button etc. and take a few shots.
Then return your DA50/1,8 and check, if the same problem reappears.

If it does, then send the K70 back and have it exchanged.

@mikesbike could have a point: The DA50/1,8 (DA35/2,4 and all DA-L lenses have smaller contacts, so it is always worth to clean the contacts
(earstick + Isopronol)
You will always find some residue on the earstick, even with a new DSLR: The contacts are that tiny bit oiled from the factory.

I myself never ever had contact problems with Pentax DSLRs and lenses though. A manual lens without contacts would have to be pretty dirty to cause problems but it can happen.