Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Multi Exposure Question (newbie)

hi,

I just bought a K20D and whilst its a bit of a steep curve to learn how to use it (previous camera was the K100D) I am very happy with it.

But one question: whilst using the Multi Exposure feature briefly yesterday I couldn't get the camera to stay on that feature. It keeps switching off after the N photos are taken and I have to re-enter the menu and enable it. Its not the end of the world but if it can be avoided it would be nice.

thanks

01-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #2

Go into your menu, Rec. Mode and scroll down to Memory. Make sure that Auto Bracket has a check mark in the box. I believe anything that is not checked will revert to standard settings when the camera is turned off.

Gerry

After thinking about this more, I realize I misunderstood you. You are talking about multi exposure not auto bracketing. Sorry!

I'm not sure if there is a way to keep that setting.
01-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
I don't have the camera here so I will try later but Auto Bracket and Multi Exposure aren't the same thing are they?
01-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #4

No they're not. I misread your OP and edited my response. I'll see what I can find out for you though.

Gerry

01-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #5

After doing a quick search, it looks like the K20D will always disable multi-exposure after the shot is complete.

Have you seen this thread? The water shots look great!

K10d Multi-exposure mode [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
01-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #6

Original Poster
the photos are great but I don't really understand what they are talking about ... I really am a newbie at all of this. I have some work to do.

cheers,
01-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Both the K10D and K20D multi-exposure modes are "temporary" settings in that after you complete the multi-shot it reverts back to single-exposure mode. My assumption is that the engineers assumed we photogs would forget to turn it back off, and in my case at least they were probably right.

A couple other items to note regarding it...
Exposure Bracketing disables it. If you set the camera to multi-exposure and then turn on bracketing, multi-exposure turns off.
Pressing the Menu button turns it off too. So, if you decide to double-check what you set it for you actually have to re-set it.
01-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #8

I've never tried it myself, but the basic idea is this:

In order to get that "silky" look to flowing water you need a long exposure (keep the shutter open). If it is a bright day, this will lead to over exposure unless you use a neutral density (darkening) filter on your lens. Multi exposure allows for several faster shots to be taken and blended, creating the same blurred effect without blowing out the shot.

Gerry

01-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
thanks and ...

thanks a lot for your fast replies!!

I think my mistake is that I thought you could combine the pictures to get kind of joke effects eg three times the same person. It does do this but the people are ghosts of course. Its interesting in its own way but not quite what I wanted.

So I need to find some water instead now.

Its not really the place perhaps but can either of you recomend a good book for DSLRs? I have seen there are 2 k20d guides but perhaps there is something more generic that is more useful.
01-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #10

I can't speak for Venturi, but for me it's just been years of and a passion for photography that has got me to this point. I'm not saying I know much, but I'm sure having a lot of fun! I bet there are some great books out there and perhaps someone in this forum can point you in the right direction.

I do read as many photography magazines as my wife will allow me to buy though. My advice is stick around, keep asking questions, and most of all... Shoot. Don't be afraid of asking what you might think are "silly" questions. You'll always find someone with the patience to answer.
01-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Hi,
I have read that you need to be in P Mode. Then if you push the button on the upper left of the K20D after you turn on the camera you will see on the top screen see page 129 of your manual. It will show a 3 and if you turn the front dial right side you can change it to 5 or off.
Now when you push the focus button you and now take 3 or 5 photos. With 3 shots it will take a 1 normal photo, 1 under exposed and 1over exposed. Now this works great with outdoor photos. Some problems with flash photos, because of the recycle time for each flash. Now you can take the 3 photos and use a program like
Code:
http://www.hdrsoft.com
or
Code:
http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html
. You now make make some great HDRI photos.

Chambers

Last edited by Chambers; 01-21-2009 at 02:30 PM.
01-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter

It works in other auto modes, not just P. But HDR people will tell you that depth of field must remain constant during the bracket so most use Av mode.

Jack
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by nodretep Quote
thanks a lot for your fast replies!!

I think my mistake is that I thought you could combine the pictures to get kind of joke effects eg three times the same person. It does do this but the people are ghosts of course. Its interesting in its own way but not quite what I wanted.

So I need to find some water instead now.

Its not really the place perhaps but can either of you recomend a good book for DSLRs? I have seen there are 2 k20d guides but perhaps there is something more generic that is more useful.
Try Scott Kelby's 2 digital photography books. I've been shooting since 73 and still found stuff there that I took for granted. Bought the set for my nephew who is a newbie and he loved them. No, I won't buy them for you.
01-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by nodretep Quote
I don't have the camera here so I will try later but Auto Bracket and Multi Exposure aren't the same thing are they?
Auto Bracket takes multiple pictures, but with different exposure values, and writes each one to a seperate file. So, when you have it set for 5 with auto bracket, it takes five seperate and distinct photos.

Multi Exposure also takes multiple pictures with different exposure values, but it combines them into one file, and so you have one photo which is a compilation of all of the exposures.

So, Auto Bracket = many pictures with different exposures
Multi Exposure = one picture combined from different pictures with different exposures

Make sense?

Basically the purpose of auto bracketing is that if you're not sure aobut the lightin conditions, this increases your odds of getting at least one good photo.