Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2009, 03:16 AM   #1

Battery compartment issue

So I have been in the cold north China for my vacation and due to the thin air over there, I now can't open the battery compartment anymore since I am back in warm ol' Europe . It seems like it is stuck at a vacuum, it opens just about half a mm when I pull the lever.

I don't want to pull the plastic lever so hard that it would break, anybody got any tips?

01-17-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just tried the battery compartment on my K10d and it does not open AT ALL when I flip the little plastic lever. I HAVE to pull on the lever to get it open...

I would pull it to get it open, just be gentle!
01-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Please remember that questions are not to be posted in the Knowledgebase.

A moderator should be moving this thread shortly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but.. the amount of air doesn't directly impact atmosphere pressure. Yank that thing out, you should be just fine.

But if something does break, it's Hannican's fault because he was the one to suggest it first!
01-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah I've gotten it open by now, I have to open it by sticking a fork under the lever. Who designed this I am thinking of just breaking that small lid off with some pliers, anyone else tried this?

By the way, I am quite new, I didn't see a troubleshooting forum so I thought I had to post it here.

01-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I just tried the battery compartment on my K10d and it does not open AT ALL when I flip the little plastic lever. I HAVE to pull on the lever to get it open...

I would pull it to get it open, just be gentle!
My K10D came that way - if there is a spring it doesn't flip the cover open.
01-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The door doesn't pop open like the SD card door does. You have to turn and pull the little pop-up handle.

Those little flip and turn knobs adds some "photographic feel" to the camera seperating it from other cameras with flimsy little doors.
01-22-2009, 08:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
The door doesn't pop open like the SD card door does. You have to turn and pull the little pop-up handle.

Those little flip and turn knobs adds some "photographic feel" to the camera seperating it from other cameras with flimsy little doors.
It's just that I can't open it by hand, I have to wringe it open with a fork or something, which feels quite uncomfortable since those flip and turn knobs are made from plastic.
01-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john_ven24 Quote
It's just that I can't open it by hand, I have to wringe it open with a fork or something, which feels quite uncomfortable since those flip and turn knobs are made from plastic.
Fold out the metall lever, turn it, pull forward the whole cover with the lver and then fold it away from the camera body.

There can't be a vacuum, if you already opened the battery compartment 1/2 a mm. And there can't be a vacuum at all, as the K10 may be sealed but it is not airtight. I had the cameras with me in China, too and I guess, you just have to give it some more tries, until you feel safe, handling the door mechanism. It is a bit awkward.

Ben

01-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had the same problem with my K10D (K20D is OK). I took a pair of med. sized pliers that I inserted in the opening and applied some outward pressure (very gently) to widen up the opening a little bit. It solved my problem, but left a little mark inside the opening.