Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Why is the Iso speed lower in the K200 vs the K-M?

Good day all,
Well this is my first post.
Please don't laugh to hard but I have absolutely no experience with dslr's. I have only used a point and shoot, fully automatic.
I will be buying a Pentax. K200/K20 Problem for me is the price. The k200d is what I am looking at seriously but I keep drooling every now and then to the K20.
Question #1
Why does the k200 have an iso speed of max 1600 and the entry level K-M has ISO 3200. Should that not be the other way around?
Should this be a concern when choosing a model?
Question #2
When in the camera store I had narrowed it down to the K200 and the Nikon D60. The salesman was demonstrating the anti shake on both models. Pentax had the 18-250 lense and the nikon was 18-300. When zoomed out all the way I was able to hold the Nikon very steady. When doing the same with the Pentax I could see my shaking through the lens it was awful. When I asked him why the difference he simply told me that I would not see that when the picture is processed. That did not sit well with me . What do you think?
Thanks for the help and any other advice to help me choose feel free.
Have a great day.

01-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I was in the same spot as you are a few months ago. I eventually went with the K20D when the price difference dropped to about 200 dollars (560 w/kit for the K200, 760 w/kit for the K20). I'm pretty happy with the brighter viewfinder and the better controls.

Anyway, to answer your questions in order: The K200 came out almost a full year before the K2000, so the engineers had more time to squeeze the last ounce of performance out of the 10mp sensor. But, keep in mind that it is the same sensor. It is quite noisy at 1600, and is going to be all but unusable at 3200.

As for the Nikon vs the Pentax shake reduction, that seems like a bit of a salesman's trick to sell the Nikon. You see, on the Nikon the shake reduction is done in the lens, so when you look in the viewfinder you see the image being steadied. On a Pentax camera the image is steadied by moving the sensor to compensate for shake, meaning the effects of the shake reduction are only evident after you take the picture.

So, with the Nikon, every lens you buy has to have special shake reduction features. With the Pentax, every lens you put on the camera dating back to vintage 1950s manual lenses has the benefit of shake reduction. I see that as a small price to pay for putting up with a shakier viewfinder, but to each his own.
01-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you Kranrev,
So if I understand right I can expect the shakiness when looking through and should have a good result when developed. So I don't experience the shake reduction while looking through the lens.
01-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Good day all,
Well this is my first post.
Please don't laugh to hard but I have absolutely no experience with dslr's. I have only used a point and shoot, fully automatic.
I will be buying a Pentax. K200/K20 Problem for me is the price. The k200d is what I am looking at seriously but I keep drooling every now and then to the K20.
Question #1
Why does the k200 have an iso speed of max 1600 and the entry level K-M has ISO 3200. Should that not be the other way around?
Should this be a concern when choosing a model?
Question #2
When in the camera store I had narrowed it down to the K200 and the Nikon D60. The salesman was demonstrating the anti shake on both models. Pentax had the 18-250 lense and the nikon was 18-300. When zoomed out all the way I was able to hold the Nikon very steady. When doing the same with the Pentax I could see my shaking through the lens it was awful. When I asked him why the difference he simply told me that I would not see that when the picture is processed. That did not sit well with me . What do you think?
Thanks for the help and any other advice to help me choose feel free.
Have a great day.
The k100d ISO range was 200-3200 and was changed to 100-1600 on the k200d, I thought this was a big mistake too until I got my 50mm FA f 1.4 and now I get super resolution and low light ability without the noise of the 3200 ISO setting. Maybe they should have kept both but I'm happy. Given a choice, I'd rather have 100 ISO than 3200 as an option

Barry

01-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
Thank you Kranrev,
So if I understand right I can expect the shakiness when looking through and should have a good result when developed. So I don't experience the shake reduction while looking through the lens.
Yep, sounds like you've got it.
01-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
The k100d ISO range was 200-3200 and was changed to 100-1600 on the k200d, I thought this was a big mistake too until I got my 50mm FA f 1.4 and now I get super resolution and low light ability without the noise of the 3200 ISO setting. Maybe they should have kept both but I'm happy. Given a choice, I'd rather have 100 ISO than 3200 as an option

Barry
*facepalm*

the iso range was not changed

the K100D has a radically different sensor than the K200D

the K100D uses a sony 6mp CCD and the K200D uses sony 10mp CCD, the difference is not "just" in megapixels, the entire design is different.

the K-M continues to use the 10mp CCD, and while the added ISO3200 option shocks some people, you have to understand how ISO works with digital cameras.

unlike FILM where the concept of film speed is a result of chemical reaction, with different mixtures on different film.

digital is simply signal amplification VIA electricity (at sensor level), or complex algorithm prediction (at the post-processing computer level)

the KM was simply programmed to punch a bit more juice to the sensor and thus enabling iso 3200.
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Probably the single-most under-stated advantage of the Pentax system, bar none, that quickly pays dividends with the purchase of even two performance lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by kranrev Quote
So, with the Nikon, every lens you buy has to have special shake reduction features. With the Pentax, every lens you put on the camera dating back to vintage 1950s manual lenses has the benefit of shake reduction. I see that as a small price to pay for putting up with a shakier viewfinder, but to each his own.
01-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah Gooshin has it covered.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
*facepalm*

the iso range was not changed

the K100D has a radically different sensor than the K200D

the K100D uses a sony 6mp CCD and the K200D uses sony 10mp CCD, the difference is not "just" in megapixels, the entire design is different.

the K-M continues to use the 10mp CCD, and while the added ISO3200 option shocks some people, you have to understand how ISO works with digital cameras.

unlike FILM where the concept of film speed is a result of chemical reaction, with different mixtures on different film.

digital is simply signal amplification VIA electricity (at sensor level), or complex algorithm prediction (at the post-processing computer level)

the KM was simply programmed to punch a bit more juice to the sensor and thus enabling iso 3200.