Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

What happens when the shutter breaks?

Hi all Pentaxian folks,

Just wondering what will happens to a camera used beyond the recommended shutter counts and it does break? Cost for repair? DYI?

Is everything else typically still good to use? Like the sensors/ AF motor/ mirror/ etc, etc.

Finally, had anybody got experience for overly using their camera to the point it all fails (and at what extremes do they fail)?

Thx Bros.

01-27-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dont post questions in the knowledge base.
01-31-2009, 04:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you can get the shutter replaced, though it may cost a few hundred dollars (my guess $400 or so), depending on the age of the camera, it may not be worthwhile!
01-31-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've yet to see a post about a shutter breaking. I don't think it's a real issue. The "shutter life" specs they post are a mtbf type of specification where mtbf means "mean time before failure" and I think they are conservative as a rule. I wouldn't worry about shutter life. It's much more likely that:
1 you will upgrade to a different body or
2: something else will fail
before your shutter fails.

NaCl(not an issue imho)H2O

01-31-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shutter repairs are very rare, unless you are a hard working pro user. If the shutter breaks/jams or whatever there is no way around getting a professional repair. It is not too bad, by the way, shutters are meant to be replacable.

Ben
02-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Luciferase Quote
Hi all Pentaxian folks,

Just wondering what will happens to a camera used beyond the recommended shutter counts and it does break? Cost for repair? DYI?
I have replaced a shutter myself with no troubles. I got a pair of ZX-M bodies on eBay. One had a good shutter and an electrical issue, and the other had a shutter that looked like someone had poked a finger into the curtains. The main problem was getting to the shutter, which is under almost everything. I decided on the best disassembly path with the broken camera and removed the working shutter. Then replacing the broken shutter was straightforward. Some soldering was necessary. The camera still works. I gave it to my dad.

Of course, by the time the shutter wears out, the resale value of the camera will aproach the cost of a replacement part, and a new camera will be far more advanced. It may not make economic sense even for a DIY repair.