Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Forum Member

Did not buy K200d Today because of focus inconsistency.

Hello every body,
I had made up my mind to on the K200d. I loved the feel and weight. I had the Canon xsi as well. The reason I did not buy today was that I could not seem to focus consistently with it as compared to the Canon. Both had the Kit lens 18-55. The canon never had a problem. The Pentax seemed to always be a little out of focus on the subject or an object at the furthest point compared to the canon. I would have to half press the shutter button several times in order to get it right. I still want the Pentax, but figured I should ask here what you thought might be the issue. The sales clerk did not know . As well is there a way to make the camera information in the view finder a little bigger and brighter?
Thank you.

02-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the first problem, was it very dark in the store? though that would cause hunting more likely than what you described.. Can you try one out at a different store, maybe that one was faulty in some way?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
camera information in the view finder a little bigger and brighter?
You can get magnifying eyepieces to make the whole viewfinder bigger, though that wouldn't help the info at the bottom that much.
02-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks joele,
No the store was your typical department store, lighting was normal as far as can be. It was not hunting. just blurry at the furthest point. I had to half press the shutter several times to get it clear.
I agree I will try another store to compare.
Thanks for the reply.
02-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

make sure you focus on something contrasty that's easy for the camera to pick up

02-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was trying to focus on the cashier maybe 40' away. He was burry. Ijust don't understand why the pentax did what it did and why the Canon did not. Like it was suggested , I will try again at a different store. I really hope I wont have a repeat. I really want the Pentax.
02-02-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sitting Bull Quote
I was trying to focus on the cashier maybe 40' away. He was burry. Ijust don't understand why the pentax did what it did and why the Canon did not. Like it was suggested , I will try again at a different store. I really hope I wont have a repeat. I really want the Pentax.
Maybe, it's because the focus point is not set to center by default. I've had my camera set to central focus point and center weighted exposure almost since the beginning--otherwise, the camera will try to guess what you're trying to focus on and what you're trying to expose well.

EDIT: A red rectangle will light up in the viewfinder indicating where the camera is trying to focus.
02-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Just a thought. Did you have the VF adjusted for your eye? Maybe it only looked fuzzy due to diopter out of whack.
02-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Good morning all,
Yes I did have the VF adjusted, but it still did it. The red center square was in the center as well. Un fortunately I do not know anything about photography so I could not even attempt to play with the menu or function. All I could do is pick up the cameras and look through them to compare what I saw. And depend on the sales clerk.
Have a great day all.