Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #1

Super slow upload time

...I have the 200D with a 4gb sdhc card and it takes forever to upload to my Picasa photo program.It used to just take a minute but now literally 20 mins for a dozen pics???.My old Canon still uploads fine,I even tried reformatting the card with no avail.I love the camera though,any ideas???

02-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using the camera connection or a card reader? I always use a card reader, and it only takes a couple of minutes to load the card into Lightroom or DxO, even when the card is nearly full (over 200 PEF files).
02-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
slow upload

...Thanks for the quick reply!.I have tried both sdhc card reader and usb from the camera directly!....same thang!...Corrupt card???
02-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

That's not impossible. Once you have your images uploaded so they are safe, format the card in the camera - not on the computer. It might help and cannot do any harm. I have two SanDisk Extreme III 4 Gb cards, and they work pretty quickly.

02-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Slow upload

Thanks Boss!...That did not seem to work,so i'm thinking new card now!.
02-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Electric Eye Quote
...I have the 200D with a 4gb sdhc card and it takes forever to upload to my Picasa photo program.It used to just take a minute but now literally 20 mins for a dozen pics???.My old Canon still uploads fine,I even tried reformatting the card with no avail.I love the camera though,any ideas???
I've noticed considerable difference in speed between large and small JPG's handled by Win-XP. The speed in copying files over a network between computers also is not linear with the file sizes. Speed also fluctuates a lot.
It looks like the problem is jpg file size related, not Pentax related. I've exported RAW to JPG in Lightroom with different file sizes resulting in the same effect. Small = fast, Large = extremely slow.

Is it my PC, my virus checker, this Microsoft jpg Trojan horse detection, something else? Somebody knows?

- Bert
02-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Well it does sound to me like a problem with the card, the good news is that cards are not that expensive nowadays.

I have always used Sandisk Extreme III and they do for me "what it says on the tin"
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My guess would be the card also as it is equally slow whether in the camera or a card reader and if a different camera works ok then that rules out issues with the usb port or cable. Your computer is only reading the information on the card. It is possible that anti virus software could interfere but if thats the case then it should also slow down the upload from the Canon. Win XP will assign a different drive letter to different cards and its possible that something is getting messed up but getting another card is the easiest thing to check and one can always use another SD card anyhow. You could try having your anti virus software do a scan of your card. There have been some cards and flash drives found that had trogans installed shipped from the factory.

02-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
Slow uploads

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My guess would be the card also as it is equally slow whether in the camera or a card reader and if a different camera works ok then that rules out issues with the usb port or cable. Your computer is only reading the information on the card. It is possible that anti virus software could interfere but if thats the case then it should also slow down the upload from the Canon. Win XP will assign a different drive letter to different cards and its possible that something is getting messed up but getting another card is the easiest thing to check and one can always use another SD card anyhow. You could try having your anti virus software do a scan of your card. There have been some cards and flash drives found that had trogans installed shipped from the factory.
...Thanks all that replied!,but Reeftool's advice seems to hit home with me as the Canon uploads fine with the same usb reader,as well as the output directly from the Canon.Maybe a trip to the ol camera shop is in order.Thanks for all the input folks,I really love my new camera vice!...lol!