Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #1

Macro Extension Tubes

Macro Extension Tubes:
I'd like to bay a set of Macro Extension Tubes
How do they work with a pentax-M 50 mm and how with DA series lens ?

02-05-2009, 03:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gr8wings Quote
Macro Extension Tubes:
Buy one and try it out. It's the best way to learn

Regards Emil

ps/ I have heard that it works quite well...but save the money and buy a real macro if you looking for quality
02-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Buy one and try it out. It's the best way to learn

Regards Emil

ps/ I have heard that it works quite well...but save the money and buy a real macro if you looking for quality
and then use the tubes with the macro for extra extra close ... much greater than 1:1 but at a cost of DOF ... this is where you get into stacking images with software like Combine ZM
02-05-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gr8wings Quote
Macro Extension Tubes:
They'll work fine with the M50mm Macro, but your DA lenses don't have an aperture ring, and I haven't seen a set of tubes with electric contact pass throughs. If the tube isn't passing information from camera to lens, your DA lenses won't have aperture control.

02-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
They'll work fine with the M50mm Macro, but your DA lenses don't have an aperture ring, and I haven't seen a set of tubes with electric contact pass throughs. If the tube isn't passing information from camera to lens, your DA lenses won't have aperture control.
Kenko makes a set that has all the contacts. Runs about $150-$175 depending on where you look. Nice set.

Remember with extension tubes there is a rule to figure your ratio. If you have a 50mm lens you need 50mm of extension to get 1:1 so you'll need to attach all three tubes to get super close or the largest and next size down to get 1:1.

You'll love them!
02-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your precious support.
I think I'll try a cheap set of macro tubes.
02-06-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I don't understand how you can lose quality with tubes compared to a genuine macro lens. Would someone please explain that?

- Andrew
02-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #8

Pentax tube set

I have original Pentax extension tube set (3 different sizes). They work fine with M and F glass. Autofocus does not work for the AF lenses. My DA lens is not compatible with the macro tube set though. I bought the set from ebay ~$50.

02-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewShirley Quote
I don't understand how you can lose quality with tubes compared to a genuine macro lens. Would someone please explain that?

- Andrew
Technically you don't lose quality but you do lose light gathering capability since the added tubes take away from the lenses natural fstop.

You won't be able to beat the quality of most macro lenses as they little to no distortion and usually have a better lens characteristic. Plus the distance you have to be to get 1:1 is much greater giving you an advantage when hunting skittish creatures.
02-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Technically you don't lose quality but you do lose light gathering capability since the added tubes take away from the lenses natural fstop.

You won't be able to beat the quality of most macro lenses as they little to no distortion and usually have a better lens characteristic. Plus the distance you have to be to get 1:1 is much greater giving you an advantage when hunting skittish creatures.

Actually, technically you do lose quality if you move the lens out of it's design parameter. This is the case when you mount a lens that is not corrected for macro work onto a set of tubes or a bellows.
Practically, there may be no loss of quality, but technically there may very well be.
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Actually, technically you do lose quality if you move the lens out of it's design parameter. This is the case when you mount a lens that is not corrected for macro work onto a set of tubes or a bellows.
Practically, there may be no loss of quality, but technically there may very well be.
You aren't changing the lenses design like you do with teleconverters which add glass, but the addition of air has such little impact on IQ if any that it's negligible.

It's an unmeasurable thing as we can't compare the 50mm at a target to a 50mm lens with tubes at the same target since we lost infinite focus. What most people believe is quality loss with bellows is shake transfered through the whole system which is amplified by the distance the lens is away from the sensor plane. Honestly is there is IQ loss you couldn't measure it with the naked eye because there is nothing to compare it too.
02-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Thanks Chris, for explaining my gut feeling

- Andrew
02-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
. . .
Remember with extension tubes there is a rule to figure your ratio. If you have a 50mm lens you need 50mm of extension to get 1:1 so you'll need to attach all three tubes to get super close or the largest and next size down to get 1:1.

You'll love them!
Remember there is a different formula used when using a 50mm macro lens than when using a nonMacro lens.
02-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got a set of Panagor macro tubes (has electrical contacts for aperture) with a Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 a few weeks ago for the equivalent of $50.

Although not as good as my macro lenses they do a pretty good job.

This was taken with all 3 tubes attached to a Pentax F* 300mm f4.5