Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Still not a Pentax user...

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum (registered today) and I would ask you a quite strange question.
I'm about (hopefully) to buy my first DSLR but I'm quite unsure on what to buy. Cause of my friends choices on DSLR I was pointed to the Canon 1000D... so I was quite sure on what to buy some month ago but my father, who is an old happy Pentax user, hacked me by asking about what Pentax is making now. So I took a look and I find that I really like Pentax image quality (especially about the colors, which I find them more natural)... now I'm unsure especially because I need to know something more about the K200D maybe in comparison with the Canon 1000D.

Currently I'm a happy Fujifilm S5500 user who find it too small now. Small because now I became a sort-of "official photographer" of the event on my town (but that's not the only reason... just the main one). So I go shoting photos at sports events (mainly football and cycling), school parties (both outdoor and indoor/theater performance) and meetings.
On the personal side (=what I like to shot) I like macro (I use 55mm Hoya close-up lenses) and nature photography, many landscapes (from cities to country) and some portrait.

From a DSLR I look for fast autofocus (as for manual focus... a real manual focus, not just buttons, a ring like in my first analog camera: an old one from the sixties, don't remember the brand and model) cause I need to limit the pre-focusing in sport shots. An effective stabilization or a not too noisy high ISO image quality that can help me taking photos at indoor performances (I really like the idea to have in-body stabilization instead of having it in the lens) and also because I like taking shots without flash. It has to be a bit weather (and hurts) resistant cause I like to take shots in bad weather situations (near a stormy sea, while raining or snowing). Cause I made many panoramic images, I care of the quality of RAW images.
Take care that I just do, with many difficulties, all of this with my little camera... with a DSLR I want to improve the results and get rid of some hard part of the job.

It's hard for me to get a real feedback about the K200D cause many reviews I read seems to be always Canon/Nikon oriented. For example how much is true that the K200D has an annoying shutter lag? Is the JPEG quality so poor? (JPEG quality is not so important for me, I usually work with RAWs... but when I need to make massive event shots I use JPEG even only to save batteries charge)

The last (and sad) point of my post (that is getting long, sorry) is that I don't have much money. :P
It would be great if you can also suggest a lens which is enough flexible and precise in the details (I don't look for a 10x zoom...)... an italian online shop offers a K200D kit with 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 AL II plus the 50-200mm F/4-5.6 AL ... how are they?

I would be really happy if you can help me: there's something inside me saying that the Pentax could be a good choice, even better than the Canon. Want to hear real use experience, no more reviews.

Thanks,
Jenner

02-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The only thing that current pentax DSLRs suffer from is less than stellar auto focus speeds. Many people say they don't find it bad for sports, others say they do. Everything else you will be very pleased with...
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In daylight or brightly lit situations, the Pentax AF is about as fast as any others DSLR. When the light level is going down, it does get slower, but if you use the flash AF assist, it goes back to being on par with other makes. Take a nikon D80, block the AF assist light, and watch it struggle, and stuggle, and struggle...Given the same condition, with the same help, they are rather close.
02-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Jenner, Yves is right with his remarks. Low light AF is not the strong point. However, manual focus works well the camera has a MF in focus help.
Also, besides being slower the K200D AF seems to be more accurate than the competition.

Since you will spend time outdoors, weather resistance is important.
In the end you will need good, long lenses that can catch a lot of light, that is where you should spend your money. Good news here Pentax long lenses will cost you a lot less than comparable lenses made by N or C.

If you want more control, you might consider a K10D, they are offered at very low prices here in the Netherlands.

- Bert

02-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
ntx
Forum Member

Original Poster
So I can use the manual focus while in low light. Manual controls aren't a problem for me... I still use my S5500 in manual mode (except the AF which isn't manual even in manual mode).
About the K10D: what are the main difference with the K200D?... I compared them in dpreview and they seem to differ only for the continuos shooting speed ...maybe I'm wrong (the side-by-side comparison is someway strange... :P). Sadly no one of the online stores I checked has it.
I was also impressed by the "Enhanced Dynamic Range" in this thread. It seems able to fix the problem I have taking photos of red roses: I have to set a large under exposure to avoid red channel clipping...

And about those lens? Are they good or it's better to buy the body only with a better lens (suggestions appreciated)?

Bye
Jenner
02-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #6

Hi Jenner,

When I was looking for a new camera, I was pondering the same questions you are. In the end I went for Pentax (K10D) with very little regret; such a dream to work with. However, keep in mind that lenses may be hard to find. That and a (sometimes) poor high-ISO performance are things I'd like to see improved.. (together with the already mentioned AF speed)
That said, every camera has pros and cons. C*n*n lenses may be (a lot) easier to find, especially 2nd hand, they're also quite expensive, more so with IS, something a Pentaxian need not worry about.
If all your friends use C*n*ns, you could swap lenses, keeping cost down.
My advice re camera is to visit a good shop and play around for a while with the cameras you are considering; there'll be one that feels better, nicer.

Re lens; it's a budget thing. Pentax's kit lenses aren't bad, and it took me a while before I realised I needed an upgrade. Now I feel that lenses more than camera impact image look and feel. The alternative to the standard 18-50 would be the 16-45, good lens, but more expensive.

Tough choice, I hope you'll enjoy the process!
02-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can buy the relatively cheap AF360FGZ flash unit or the one in my sig. Both of these have AF assist beams. There are even less expensive flash unit alternatives which you can read about on this forum. You'll be able to focus in a snap even in total darkness. Focus speed and noise also depend on the mechanics and optics of each lens: my 55-300 is a slow dentist drill, AF-wise--but I'm happy with its Image Quality.

EDIT: Your real concern should be the so-called Lens Buying Addiction that may...no, will ensnare you.
02-06-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
and a (sometimes) poor high-ISO performance are things I'd like to see improved..
High ISO performance is hindered by the tendency of the camera to save highlights, meaning it often underexposes by up to 1 stop. If you avoid underexposure, you can get very good results up to the maximum ISO of 1600.

02-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ntx Quote
So I can use the manual focus while in low light. Manual controls aren't a problem for me... I still use my S5500 in manual mode (except the AF which isn't manual even in manual mode).
About the K10D: what are the main difference with the K200D?... I compared them in dpreview and they seem to differ only for the continuos shooting speed ...maybe I'm wrong (the side-by-side comparison is someway strange... :P). Sadly no one of the online stores I checked has it.
I was also impressed by the "Enhanced Dynamic Range" in this thread. It seems able to fix the problem I have taking photos of red roses: I have to set a large under exposure to avoid red channel clipping...

And about those lens? Are they good or it's better to buy the body only with a better lens (suggestions appreciated)?

Bye
Jenner
Jenner,

I would seriously look at a double zoom kit (18-55mm + 55-300mm) or a body with the 18-250mm lens. Both combinations can be ordered here on line with both the K10D and the K200D for the body. The 55-300mm has very good ratings in the reviews.
You may want to try both bodies in a shop before you decide.
Also, you can download the user manuals of both cameras and compare them.
Since they sensor in both camera's are the same and you shoot RAW, you can pick both.

- Bert
02-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

K200D is definitely a more solid feeling camera than the EOS1000D. Low end Canons feel plasticky and cheap to me. With K200D you gain weather sealing, body shake reduction, out-of-box backwards compatibility with every K-mount lens made since 1973, and a couple more AF points. You lose some AF speed and Live View.
02-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your dad is a pentax user he might have some nice lenses you could borrow (you don't need that nasty old a 200 f4 macro do you dad?)
02-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you're tight on the money, the K200/18-55/50-200 would be a great way to get started. Of course, there are better lenses out there, but these lenses are no slouches, either. Later on, if you decide to upgrade, you can always sell the lenses to help finance the purchase of the better ones.

With that being said, if you think you're going to need longer than 200mm, then the DA55-300 is definitely the way to go.

Since you said that you don't mind manual lenses, then another lens worth picking up would be a fast 50; either an A50/1.7 (under $100 USD) or an A50/2 (under $50 USD) would be good inexpensive options. For macro, picking up something like a Raynox 150 macro conversion lens (DCR150 Raynox DCR-150, Macro-Scan 1.5x Super Macro Conversion Lens, with Snap-on Universal Mount for 52mm to 67mm Filter Diameters.) to go on the front of any of your lenses would do the job until you could afford a dedicated macro lens.

HTH,
Heather
02-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #13

ntx -- As an owner of a Pentax K200D I can't say how pleased I have been with the camera. Yes, it has its little quirks (such as low light AF speed), but it is a solid performer. I have owned at least 15 digital cameras and the only regret I have now is that it took me so long to invest in the Pentax digital system. I was familiar with the quality and durability of Pentax thanks to the K1000. I should have spent more time finding a great deal on a Pentax DSLR body then on all those other crazy cameras out there.

Nikon and Canon make cameras that are just as great as the K200D, but neither will be readily available at the same price point that the K200D is at.

Don't worry about JPEG image quality issues. They don't really exist. In fact, many people that purchase my photos can't say enough about the quality of the JPEG output. If you are super picky, shoot RAW or adjust camera settings until you are pleased with the JPEG output.

I once again have to suggest the Magic Lantern Guide for the K200D. It is a steller handbook, wipes out the owners manual by a significant margin.
02-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #14
ntx
Forum Member

Original Poster
First of all: thanks for all your answers. I think I'll become a Pentax user.
I forgot an important thing to ask: I wear glasses (and that's why I looked at first to cameras that have live view) and I would like to know how's comfortable the k200d viewfinder. I'll be sure that I would not use the diopters adjustment... I can't take-off the glasses every time I have to take a photo.

Thank again,
Jenner
02-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, loads of good advice there, will your father notice his lens collection has disappeared.