Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What Filters?

I am looking for a good quality graduated ND filter for my K20D for shooting sunsets and landscapes in general, but it's proving hard. There's nothing of the sort in the shops in my area and even on the internet i'm finding it hard.....anyone help? what/who are the best brand? Cokin? if so which series? Hoya? OCE? any/all opinions appreciated.

02-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Don't know if they ship internationally, but you can still learn about different brands, etc., from browsing their site.

Camera Filters The Filter Connection 2filter.com for Hoya HD filters, Hoya Pro 1, Tiffen HT, Tiffen 4x4 Camera Filters, B+W filters and Canon Ink

You can do a lot for landscapes with multiple exposures and blending in photoshop. Just depends on your preferences and workflow.
02-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks, on the site now. lots of useful information, i'm capable of some fairly decent corrections in photoshop, but I DO like to get a well exposed picture in-camera as best I can. There's lots of choice out there but thanks again for that link...lots of god opinions on that site.
02-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Singh Ray grad filters (@ Singh-Ray Photographic Filters). They have several to choose from and most come in Cokin rectangular style. I especially like their reverse ND grad.

They are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. I won't use anything else now.

02-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #5

Singh Ray

I use Singh Ray too and I second Navcom's suggestion i.e. buy Singh Ray filters. Cokin filter holders and Singh Ray filters are compatible. Do not buy a round screwmount grad ND filter.

If budget does not permit Singh Ray then go for Lee or Cokin filters.

Try big US online stores like Adorama and B&H to get an idea of the price first. Then you can shop around.
02-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also if you can find one get the thin cokin holder if you only want to use one filter at a time.. as on UWA lenses it is much less likely to cause vignetting... though especially on ebay it is harder to find...