Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think these have been mentioned before, but I can't recommend these two books enough:

Amazon.com: The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter): Books: Scott Kelby
Amazon.com: Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2 (Real World): Books: Bruce Fraser

The main point, though, is keep everything organized and backup, backup, backup! After that, it's just a matter of increasing efficiency.

03-31-2007, 06:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

"work".. "job".. "professional".. keeping the required work down to a minium.. all relevant..

"fun".. taking pictures.. enjoying taking pictures.. shooting jpegs to avoid the need for "work" flowing or otherwise..

a professional needs a "workflow".. not being one i just move pictures from my camera to my PC and enjoy looking at them..

an alternative viewpoint from someone who simply likes taking pictures and feels at a slight loss as to what to do with them afterwards.. except get pleasure from the ones that have worked out and try and take better ones the next time..

trog
03-31-2007, 06:34 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, foo on you! You..., You..., liberal pragmatist!

You will never reach the 17th level of pompous pixel peeper if you don't do everything at 100% crop and peer into and stare at and ponder every little dark corner of your fully disassembled and now useless camera.

No, No, No nirvana for you, bub!
03-31-2007, 08:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

there is something deeper here than first appears.. someone says somewhere in this thread they were happy with what their "point and shoot" camera produced..

now they have a dslr they feel the need to take things futher.. i wonder why.. he he he

trog

03-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #35
Forum Member

Workflow for Beginner

Great thread with very good advice. The thread was very timely for me as you will see below. Pleae note these comments are based on my Windows XP use.

The point I would add is to spend a lot of time planning how to manage your digital images. For anyone who has experience with computer databases, you know the value of planning your database before you commit your data to it.

Spend some time thinking about where your want to go and see what tools you need to get there. In my own case I shot film and ran a wet dark room for 20 years until allergies forced to give up printing. Fortunately about that time Epson introduced the 2200 and with a scanner and Photoshp I could keep on printing. In February, thanks to the K10D, I finally went digital for capture.

Frankly my diigital scan files are a mess...spread over 3 hard drives. My film files, contact sheets and prints are in far better shape organization wise. I realized after two week with the K10D (when I filled up 2Gb card with about 150 images at one shoot) that I was not going to be keeping my head above water going forward.

My solution was to look at programs for managing images. I had beta tested Lightroom and the release version and trial tested, FOTOSTATION PRO, ACDSEE PRO, iVIEW MEDIA PRO and finally IMATCH. While I like Lightroom, I ultimately did not like the Library aspects. Also since much of my work ends up as B&W prints and I use several stand alone programs for preparing my images for the printer, Lightroom currently allows only one outside editing program at a time in addition the Photoshop.

My final decision was to go with IMATCH instead of Lightroom, using my $199 to upgrade my PS7 to CS3 when it's released.

IMATCH has a very powerfull database function and by putting shortcuts in a special "Open program folder" you can invoke any number of editing progams from the image browser. Also it features dynamic categories for cataloging your images, IPTC keywords etc, color and letter ratings....these are a mouse click away. Finally, IMATCH watches the database folders and recognizes all changes and updates. It also supports multiple databases and offline files (CD and DVD, etc.). What IMATCH is not is an editing program....even the program's developer, Mario Westphal, makes this point very strongly.

The cost of all this power is US$60 and some serious homework on the part of the user when setting up IMATCH. IMATCH offers a free trial period.