Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is this amount of noise normal with a k200d?

This is shot up into the sky with a 500mm cat, hence the blur - just the matte screen for focusing.

But look at the noise on the blue sky and on the eagle.

Granted that the camera decided to use ASA 800, but this is much worse than the tests I've seen on the internet of this camera.

Attached Images

02-06-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
This is shot up into the sky with a 500mm cat, hence the blur - just the matte screen for focusing.

But look at the noise on the blue sky and on the eagle.

Granted that the camera decided to use ASA 800, but this is much worse than the tests I've seen on the internet of this camera.
Depends on the processing, ect. Some is noise (esp eagle) some looks like jpg artifacts. That photo is just not a good test......
02-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Depends on the processing, ect. Some is noise (esp eagle) some looks like jpg artifacts. That photo is just not a good test......
That was all there in the PEF as viewed on the camera LCD, and in RawHide.

What -would- be a good test? Maybe I can try whatever that would be.
02-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How about a nicely lit scene with fast shutter but just high ISO? Indoor shot maybe so you don't get such a huge contrast between light and dark.

02-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sodbuster Quote
That was all there in the PEF as viewed on the camera LCD, and in RawHide.

What -would- be a good test? Maybe I can try whatever that would be.
Well the camera LCD view is created from the jpg created from the original capture.
If you have low "star" jpg" or extreme sharpening that's what the jpg will look like. If you shoot RAW plus jpg you can see the difference when you process the raw file. Have no idea what Rawhide is but it may be using the jpg as a preview which would lead you to the same thing as above. RAW files always have a low quality jpg embedded but it really is only 1 interpretation of the original file.
Still my best guess is you tweaked the jpg settings of quality and sharpness and fell off the quality bandwagon...
02-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #6

In the almost 5000 shots I've taken since November using ISO all the way up to 1600 I have never seen anything this pronounced. It could be just the "perfect storm" for ISO noise.
02-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #7

Zigzag shaped noice

Wery interesting. My K10d shows very much noice when it gets a little dark.
In the noise you can se a zigzag pattern that is just awful. Look at the side of the bookshelf, over the flower-pot. My daughters Ixus 80IS shows nothing like this in similar pics. Neither does my friends Sony. And that sucks! I love to take photos in natural light, at dawn, looking out over the city. But I just canīt get rid of that noice.
A bad CCD maybe?
Attached Images

Last edited by Affe; 02-10-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Attached the wrong file.