Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New Pentax k20d user needs some advice

Hey everyone so i recently gave up my nikon d300 and bought a pentax k20d i have had my eyes on the k20d since it was first released last year and finally got it with an 18-55mm lens. Some people might think i am insane for switching from a nikon d300 to a pentax k20d but i can tell you that i love this camera more than any camera i have ever used and it shoots so much better than any nikon or canon i have ever used, of course any professional photographer will call the pentax k20d the non professional digital slr but seriously i dont know why. The pentax k20d kicks the butts off the competition and when is this camera gonna get the recognition it deserves as a serious professional camera. Anyway im thinking about getting an lcd screen cover and a uv filter and a 50-200 mm lens i saw used at the place i get my photo gear id also eventually like to get a macro lens any suggestions would be great.

02-08-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the club!

I can give you some recommendations on lenses, at least:
--Filters: I like Hoya Pro1 Digital for my lenses with larger filter diameters. Unfortunately, they don't make them in the 49mm size that I use on my primes, so I use the standard Hoya Multicoated (HMC) filters on those. Don't let the prices on the Pro1 Digital filters scare you off--check Fleabay and you'll find some better deals on those.

Lenses:
Since you said that you're interested in macro, I would recommend the DFA100 macro, which does both macro and short tele well. It also plays nicely with teleconverters if you need more reach. If you are willing to save up the extra money, it would definitely be worth your while to pick up a DA55-300 for your telephoto zoom; the 50-200 isn't a bad lens at all, but the 55-300 is a more modern design that came out shortly after the K20 did last year.

HTH,
Heather
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome and congrats on the K20D purchases.

Heather's filter suggestions are good ones. The key is buy good filters, last thing you want on a nice lens is a budget UV filter. I also have the 55-300 and for a relativley cheap lens the quality is outstanding.

As for macros suggestions there are quite a few. I use a Sigma 105 and have been very happy with that. Search the Lens section. The range will run from a few hundred dollars to one of the best Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO which will run over $1k.

Check the Market place as well - there are usaully some good deals on lenses and soemtimes filters.
02-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm FROM a D300? Please tell us why? The D300 is very appealing to me.

02-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I switched to the pentax for several reasons , one being a reason that isnt very important to certain photographers but it was weight the nikon is heavy it continuously cramped my neck when i had the extra battery plus flash installed. Also when using it with an open aperture for night shots and low level light shots the pictures where just not clear at times i would have to take over 20 shots of an image to get it where i want it. In auto mode forget about shooting in low level light. Also in auto focus its just to slow, it doesnt even get close to the pentax,s capabilities , its a shame that nikon calls the d300 a professional dslr and the pentaxk20d a semi pro , it should be the other way around because pentax is killing the competition, people that dont see that are stuck in there ways , when pentax finally does produce the next gen dslr its gonna really blow people away.

Last edited by tattoosbymaxim; 02-09-2009 at 02:08 AM.
02-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
And thank you for the filter and lens advice i will definitely look , right now i dont think my budget is at a level to afford the best lenses money can buy , but im sure it will get there one day.
02-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hello tattoosbymaxim, I'm glad you're enjoying your new camera!

I own the 50-200 and I can tell you that the image quality is surprisingly good for a small zoom -- as long as you are using it outside. The image quality degrades quite a bit inside or on very cloudy days outside, so I don't use it much. I have not used the 55-300, but from I have read about it I can concur that it might be better to save up to buy that one.

If you're in the market for a cheap upgrade from the kit zoom, I also highly recommend the 16-45 f/4. At below $300 new, it's a great value.

Want more great value for your money? Like prime lenses? Try the FA50 mm f/1.4 or the FA35 f/2. Both would be great compliments to your wide kit lens.

As an alternative to the macro lenses already mentioned, I will also suggest the Tamron 90 mm f/2.8 or the Pentax DA 35 mm f/2.8 -- both come highly acclaimed and are useable for more than just macro work. Both are around $400 each new.

Good luck.

02-09-2009, 05:38 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
If you're in the market for a cheap upgrade from the kit zoom, I also highly recommend the 16-45 f/4. At below $300 new, it's a great value.

Want more great value for your money? Like prime lenses? Try the FA50 mm f/1.4 or the FA35 f/2. Both would be great compliments to your wide kit lens.
Hi Tattoosbymaxim,

I couldn't agree more with Urk, I had the 18-55 kit lens on my K10D and have just bought the K20D with the 16-45 and the difference is quite considerable, it's a worthy upgrade. I also have the 50 f/1.4 and it's a really sweet lens that is an absolute steal at the price. I have a Tamron 70-300 which is reasonable for a budget lens, but I think my next purchase will be a 100 or 105 macro as mentioned by Heather and daacon.
02-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

just a quick support for the DA55-300. I can assure you, for its price, this lens is a very recommendable purchase. Give it some real consideration. Love mine.
Congratulations on you choice of the Pentax. It is great to hear (read) your strong words of endorsement.
02-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Welcome to Pentax. I also suggest the 50-300, I don't have one, but from what I read, it's a very capable lens! Ditto for the 16-45/4. Of course, if you really want Pentax's best, go with primes, for zooms, go for the DA* 16-50 and 50-135!

PS: The D300's weight issue, I agree. Tested my friend's D300 with Tammy 28-70/2.8 (body and lens only), it was much more heavier than my K20D + 16-50/2.8 with grip, extra batt and remote. As for its low light focusing, the Pentax is slower, but only a tad bit IMHO.
02-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Forum Member

Welcome to the family! I sold my Canon 50D for Pentax K20D, and couldn't be happier. I was missing a macro, too, and just yesterday got myself a Sigma 105. I have had several Sigma macros w Canon, so I know what to expect. Man that's sharp! Too sharp for portraits...