Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Force shots in low light

Sometimes when I shoot in low light, the camera can't get a focus lock and it doesn't permit me to shoot.

When I press the shutter, I want it to shoot.

Is there a way to override this behavior?

02-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can use to on board flash to help with focusing. You can also use AF-C or manual focus, but if you use AF-C, there is no guarantee the focus will be on.
02-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Sometimes when I shoot in low light, the camera can't get a focus lock and it doesn't permit me to shoot.

When I press the shutter, I want it to shoot.

Is there a way to override this behavior?
Manual focus.
02-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ahh, the worst part is that it will try to focus, fail, and then I'll use quick shift to focus. And then it won't shoot.

02-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Manual focus.
I second that.
If you worry about getting blurry shots, use wider lens at smaller aperture which increase your depth of field dramatically

Daniel
02-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what camera you have, but I think you can probably turn off that not shooting thing by going through the menu and allowing shutter release without focus ( I think).
02-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have my K100DS setup to use the OK button to enable AF. That way AF is decoupled from the shutter button. Other than that what the others have said about manual focus is spot on.

02-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #8

Just yesterday morning (5 am) I had this 'problem' (on my K10D).
I like to use AF-S, because I find thet AF-C makes too many misses. Using the on-board flash as focus assist I found far too intrusive, I tried to catch an intimate scene (mother-child on a night market).
So that left the manual focus option (or, optionally, an external flash with focus assist beam. But how do you get those things to emit a beam and NOT fire?). Without a split prism I find the manual focus hard, though. What I (really) don't understand is why the fopcus assist LED seems top work just fine when manual focussing (focus indicator lighting up), but it can't find focus when autofocussing??
02-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
I second that.
If you worry about getting blurry shots, use wider lens at smaller aperture which increase your depth of field dramatically

Daniel
Yup, I'm in this camp as well. Just flick the switch.
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #10

Couple of Suggestions

There is a menu selection to let the camera shoot even if it doesn't have a focus lock. Read the manual, it is in there somewhere.
Second suggestion is to look up hyperfocal distance with an online depth of field calculator, set up your lens in manual focus and just shoot. You will have to use a specific aperture and focus at a specific distance, but once set, you can just fire away.
As an example, at 21mm and f8 on the K100D, everything from 4.6 feet to infinity is in acceptable focus.
02-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by fishy Quote
Just yesterday morning (5 am) I had this 'problem' (on my K10D).
I like to use AF-S, because I find thet AF-C makes too many misses. Using the on-board flash as focus assist I found far too intrusive, I tried to catch an intimate scene (mother-child on a night market).
So that left the manual focus option (or, optionally, an external flash with focus assist beam. But how do you get those things to emit a beam and NOT fire?). Without a split prism I find the manual focus hard, though. What I (really) don't understand is why the fopcus assist LED seems top work just fine when manual focussing (focus indicator lighting up), but it can't find focus when autofocussing??
If you put the flash in SB (spotbeam) mode, the flash does not fire, but the focus assist lamp will work.
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Set your AF button to cancel autofocus, and you can press and hold the AF button an the camera will take the shot when you press the shutter release regardless of focus status.
02-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #13

I wish the AF-S setting on the K10D was a little less hesitant and the AF-C was a little bit more 'perfectionist' because both of them are a cause of frustration. But between the two, I prefer the camera to shoot rather than hesitate, so I keep things on AF-C. As settings go it's the more useful.

For quick-fire manual focus on the K10D, I set to ISO400/800, f8 and hold the lens focussed at infinity. As in literally - I hold the lens with that focus in place.
02-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
For quick-fire manual focus on the K10D, I set to ISO400/800, f8 and hold the lens focussed at infinity. As in literally - I hold the lens with that focus in place.
If you're going to use an approach like this, you should probably set the focus to the hyperfocal distance. For example, at f/8 with lens at 35mm if you focus the lens to 25 feet away, everything from ~13' to infinity will be in focus. You can use the depth-of-field calculator at dofmaster.com to figure out what settings are best for your needs.
02-18-2009, 11:23 PM   #15
Forum Member

Whilst we're on the subject of focusing and low-light, is there a way on the K100D to have the flash fire for AF-Assist, but then not actually fire to take the picture?