Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #16
Forum Member

Not that my photos are any good, but sometimes I think modern cameras have too many features, mostly to deal with sensor limitations I guess.

I still struggle to figure out all of the digital "settings stuff" and went back to using my old Spotmatic F fully manual camera.

I will admit that recently my 11 year old and I took our first test roll through a (new to us) ME Super. It was much easier for him to start getting good pictures with the auto exposure setup than if he needed to learn everything at once.

It is probably just me being difficult, but film just seems so simple and forgiving compared to digital sensors.

As far as indoor shots, it always surprises me just how little and low quality light there actually is. If it were me, I would ditch the stock zoom lens and use a fast 50 or 55mm lens, even if it is not auto focus.

Last edited by HarryN; 02-19-2009 at 01:01 PM.
02-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Harry, I understand your viewpoint. I sometimes wish I had grown up with a SLR camera, instead of the kodak instamatic cameras, before I started into digital cameras. I always shot with ISO 400 or 800 film (because it was cheap) and never thought about WHY it was cheaper. Only since I purchased my first DSLR (K100D) have I begun to understand what I missed in film. Reading the helpful posts in the forum, talking about cameras to friends, family, plus reading the cameras manuals, has started showing me all of what I have missed not having more background in film use.
02-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
Harry, I understand your viewpoint. I sometimes wish I had grown up with a SLR camera, instead of the kodak instamatic cameras, before I started into digital cameras. I always shot with ISO 400 or 800 film (because it was cheap) and never thought about WHY it was cheaper. Only since I purchased my first DSLR (K100D) have I begun to understand what I missed in film. Reading the helpful posts in the forum, talking about cameras to friends, family, plus reading the cameras manuals, has started showing me all of what I have missed not having more background in film use.
It's never too late to try film.
02-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yes, this is a very good point.
The viewfinder is way larger, the operation is simplified, and you will have to supress the tendecy to shoot everything that comes in sight.
More, is the longing you feel to see the result.
with digital, you get instant result, so is easier to be dissapointed, while with film, you give yourself the chance to be surprised.

02-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I just discovered this site yesterday that has free photography tutorials aimed at beginners:
Michaels Photography School Home

I really haven't looked at it too much in depth, but it looks like it could be a valuable resource for DSLR noobs.

Heather
02-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
I realize that I just need to become more familiar with the camera, and plan on going out and shooting more often. Your right, it is free, so why hold back?!
It's better than free. If you think about it in very simple terms, the more you use it the less it costs.

After all, when you buy a camera you're not really buying a camera....you're buying the means of producing photographs, which are the end product you really want.

So if you spend $1000 on a camera and get one photo out of it, that's a cost of $1000 per photo. Get ten thousand photos out of it, that's a cost of one thin dime each.

Digital is cheaper the more you use it.
02-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

As other have stated, don't be so hard on yourself and have fun!

I myself have only been shooting for a year and have much to learn still. Learning is part of the natural process in just about everything and can be very rewarding. One thing I love about photography is that it requires one to "stop and smell the roses" so to speak. I view things much differently now that I have a camera in hand. I have always loved nature but the beauty of it now is magnified by my study of detail through photography.

Get to know your camera, this is advice I can use for myself.
Don't give up!! Have fun!!!