Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Clarification on Raw Button Function

Hi,

Got my new camera today. I had downloaded the user manual last week while I was waiting on the camera to arrive and was able to read it all the way through, but I have a question which I can't seem to find in the manual.

When pushing the RAW button on the side of the camera -

It says on page 149

JPEG -> Raw+
Raw -> Raw+
Raw+ ->Raw+

If I understand this correctly, if the camera is set to record in JPEG and you push the Raw button, you get a JPEG and a Raw file

If the camera is set in Raw and you push the Raw Button, you get a JEPG and a Raw file

If the camera is set in Raw+ and you push the Raw button, nothing changes you still get your Raw and JPEG files.

I tried the search function here and got a bit lost in all the threads so figured someone would be nice enough to straighten me out on this.

Thanks in advance

Al

02-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hello! Based on my K10D, what you've said is correct. Pressing the raw button when you've selected to shoot JPG in the rec.mode menu results in RAW+JPG being shot, and so on.

The only thing I can add is that if you go into the 'custom settings' menu, you also have the choice of selecting whether the effect of pressing the Raw button will be carried over for only the next shot, or until the Raw button is pressed again.
02-11-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
AGW
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks,

Yes, I saw about carrying it over for the next shot in the manual.

I played with the functions in the camera a bit last night and figured that was the way it was doing things.

There is a lot of information in the manual. I'm sure it will take a while to figure it all out but I am making progress.

Thank you again for your help

Al
02-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by AGW Quote
Thanks,

Yes, I saw about carrying it over for the next shot in the manual.

I played with the functions in the camera a bit last night and figured that was the way it was doing things.

There is a lot of information in the manual. I'm sure it will take a while to figure it all out but I am making progress.

Thank you again for your help

Al
Hello Al...

I just wanted to give another suggestion for a Magic Lantern guide with your new camera purchase. No, I don't work for the publisher, etc.

Amazon.com: Pentax Magic Lantern

I have used them with several digital cameras and have found them to be completely valuable.

Jason

02-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
AGW
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank You, I am going to get one when I order my Grip next week. It's a great suggestion.

Al
02-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #6

Glad to help. Between these forums, that guide, patience with yourself and plenty of experience, you cannot go wrong.

Jason