Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Would like some advice.

I guess you can say ive been interested in photography for a while, but with my college student level funds, and many other interests (which include shooting and cars . . . neither of which is cheap) photography got pushed further down the list.
Well, I was finally able to purchase a K10d body, and really dive into photography. Ive been stuck with a Canon point and shoot for the last two years (at least it has a M mode). Rant aside, my question is this.
Through some miracle or other, I have got a decent amount of extra funds, and i am stuck between the DA* 50-135 and the 16-50 (like i said, miraculous.) Not the worst problem to have.
A lot of my shooting is indoors, and usually, i find myself wishing for something that reaches further than 50mm. As it would be my first and only lens do you think the 50-135 would be good for a walk around? or should i consider two lower priced lenses? i have open ears. thanks for your time.

02-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can't go wrong with a 50-135 but it is quite large for your every day walk around. I like primes. You could get a DA 70 which is smaller, cheaper, and a tad bit faster, then save for something else as you find out more about yourself as a photographer.
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #3

Need More Info

Did you get the kit lens with the K10D (DA 18-55)? If so, are you considering the 16-50 for the faster speed?
My advice, which you asked for , would be to get the kit lens if you don't have it. If you do, get the DA 50-200 and then shoot a lot to see what focal lengths you like. There are programs that will map what you actually use from the EXIF data.
Once you use the kit lenses enough, you will know if you prefer the 16-55 range or 50-135/200. Mabey you won't be able to live without either. You may just figure out that you shoot at one focal length quite a bit and then I would recommend buying a prime lens at that length....
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Speed is one of the things I am looking at, I like to use flash as little as possible, which is the reason I am looking at the two DA* lenses.

02-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #5

Photography and Cars

QuoteOriginally posted by newKid10D Quote
Speed is one of the things I am looking at, I like to use flash as little as possible, which is the reason I am looking at the two DA* lenses.
With camera gear as well as with cars, if you want speed, you have to pay to play!
Indoors and the 50-135 don't seem to go together. What kind of indoor shooting are you talking about?
As far as flash is concerned, are you using a good external flash with tilt and swivel? Bouncing off of walls and ceilings to get light at the angle that makes your pictures look good?
I am all for fast glass but once I learned to use a good flash effectively, I realized that the kit lens at f8 looks as good as much more expensive zooms.
Also, at f2.8, the 2 DA* zooms are moderately fast. If you really want speed, start looking at primes: FA50 1.4, FA31 1.8, FA77 1.8, FA43 1.9, FA35 f2.
02-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. Ive decided to go with a FA 50 1.4 and the DA 18-250. I figure this is pretty versatile, and will help me figure out the kind of photos i like to take, all for the price of one DA* lens. I can go for the big money lenses later when I figure out what I typically use.

Last edited by newKid10D; 02-10-2009 at 11:17 PM.
02-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newKid10D Quote
Thanks for your help. Ive decided to go with a FA 50 1.4 and the DA 18-250. I figure this is pretty versatile, and will help me figure out the kind of photos i like to take, all for the price of one DA* star lens. I can go for the big money lenses later when I figure out what I typically use.
Good choice you made. I had the 50/1.4 for some time and it was my most used lens. Gotta be one of the best bang for buck lenses out there. It will work good indoors with available light. Haven't used the 18-250 but read a lot of good things about it. It probably won't get as much use indoors, but felix said before, learning to use flash effectively can make the most out of your lens at smaller apertures.
02-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
newKid10D
Thanks for your help. Ive decided to go with a FA 50 1.4 and the DA 18-250. I figure this is pretty versatile, and will help me figure out the kind of photos i like to take, all for the price of one DA* lens. I can go for the big money lenses later when I figure out what I typically use.
I think you made a very wise choice indeed. These 2 lenses, together, weigh less (slightly) than the 50-135 and I think you will have more fun and options with them. But of course the 50-135 produces great images. It awaits you when you are ready! Best of luck.