Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I want to like the Peterson book because it usually comes so highly recommended, but there's something that bugs me about it, and it's not about the shape used to represent the aperture/shutter/sensitivity relationship - it's the degree to which he emphasizes metering off the sky. I find it a pretty quirky recommendation (ie, not something most experienced photographers do), and one that leads to enormous confusion/misunderstanding as people try to meter off the sky to expose their backlit subjects and then wonder why it doesn't work. I know from perusing the book at the store that he doesn't *really* suggest the sky as your all-purpose metering target for all subejcts - it has everything to do with the nature of the scene you are metering, and he sets up a whole series of relationships between sky and subejct for different situations. None of which seems to stick with a lot of readers, from the sort of questions and comments I see posted from time to time.

Yet lots of people recommend the book, so I take it that a careful reading of the book does eliminate any of that sort of confusion? Or the whole sky business is a small enough part of the book as to be a non-issue?

02-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #17
graphicgr8s

Got to second the Kelby books. And for Photoshop try othe Kelby books like CS4 for photographers. Look at the NAPP website photoshopuser.com
02-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'll third the Kelby books. They're easy, fast, and perfect for learning a tip a day, for example.

And I've found that reading them a second time, after another 5K clicks on the shutter, gives a new perspective. "Oh, THAT'S what Scott was getting at. I get it now!"

But these, and the fine camara-oriented manuals, are no substiture for a basic tutorial on composition and one on exposure/lighting. Or, of course, a good book that covers both simultaneously.

I'll speak for myself. My biggest problem is not with setting up properly for the photo I have in mind. It's in seeing in my mind's eye the photo I want to take in the first place.