Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #16

I read some where once that the k20d could handle 100mm of rain in three minutes, which is ridiculous. But lets assume that was meant to be 10mm in three minutes(which is the same as the 5dmkii). thats 200mm/hour. that's 4x more than what meteorologist classify as extreme rain(as high as it gets). Rain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It used to be that the K20d had better weather sealing than even the top of the line canikon. I'm not sure if that still stands but personally with a da* lens even in the most extreme conditions I'd never worry. The rain would probably hurt you before it hurt the camera.

02-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Closer view of a DA 16-50 o-ring, on the outside edge of the mount.

Cheers, Mike.
thanks for the pic that really helped
02-12-2009, 12:05 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill Stickers Quote
I read some where once that the k20d could handle 100mm of rain in three minutes, which is ridiculous. But lets assume that was meant to be 10mm in three minutes(which is the same as the 5dmkii
Well then I'd guess the 100mm is the right idea, since the 5Dmk2 isn't weather sealed, so the K20D shouldn't have the same specs.
02-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Well then I'd guess the 100mm is the right idea, since the 5Dmk2 isn't weather sealed, so the K20D shouldn't have the same specs.
Wanna bet
QuoteQuote:
With the advent of the Mark II Canon are finally talking about the dust / water resistance of the body, the second image below shows these seals, Canon's description: "The battery compartment, memory card door, LCD and the camera buttons are all fitted with sealing materials (indicated in red). In addition the adoption of high precision split-level alignment of the magnesium-alloy external covers, high precision dial construction and external rubber grip covers (indicated in green), has improved the camera's dust and water resistance."
from Canon EOS 5D Mark II Hands-on Preview: 5. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

I'm no engineer, well not electrical anyway, so I'm not sure how that compares against the k20d's 72 weather seals(to my myopic eyes it looks less sealed than the k20d) but to say that they aren't comparable is either a downright lie or shear ignorance. If the latter why post?

Anyhow this doesn't affect the fact that the K20d(with a da* lens) will be able to withstand more rain than noah had to.

02-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

For me i have complete confidence in the weather sealing. I dont even have to worry unless i am going through changing temperatures such as getting in and out of a car a lot in sub zero temperatures.

It means that while the other photographers are steadily getting through a box of tissues i am sitting there happy with my wet camera.
02-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

it depends how extreme you want to go. In rainy weather, use a ziploc bag + rubber band to take photos. for even more extreme tape up any possible openings with waterproof tape and then use the ziploc bag.
02-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #22

Wanna bet
from Canon EOS 5D Mark II Hands-on Preview: 5. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review

I'm no engineer, well not electrical anyway, so I'm not sure how that compares against the k20d's 72 weather seals(to my myopic eyes it looks less sealed than the k20d) but to say that they aren't comparable is either a downright lie or shear ignorance. If the latter why post?

Anyhow this doesn't affect the fact that the K20d(with a da* lens) will be able to withstand more rain than noah had to.
Yes I do wanna bet. How much have you got? Go check this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/49674-fate-one-5d-mkii.html

And this post, by me, specifically:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/480439-post14.html

Then go read the links referred to in that post.

Then come back here and apologize, because they aren't comparable. The 5dmk2 is NOT WEATHER SEALED. Canon just spin a load of marketing bullshit about "improved resistance" which DPReview parrot onwards.

02-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #23
Forum Member

Antarctica 2009 - What Worked

There is some interesting stuff in here about how poorly some Canons fared.
02-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My policy on the weather-resistance has been that I can safely treat this camera just like I've always treated cameras, like, say, a Canon F-1N, ...sensibly. Don't have to worry that it's basically an expensive computer with a whole lot of case penetrations that i'm proposing to take out in the rain.

Never owned a weather-sealed lens in my life, mind you. But it's a lot easier to protect just a *lens* in a little bit of precipitation than have to be paranoid about the whole rig. Heck, my instinct in the *lightest* of rain is to protect the lens *with* the body when I'm not actually pointing. Frankly, a sealed body, even without a sealed lens, allows the good-old plastic bag, hood, and rubber band method, and that'll do for nearly anything, with due diligence.

For me, it's one of those things that made the Pentaxes my way into digital: (I didn't think I'd get one so soon, but there was the K10) ...they came out with the obtainable camera that you can *pretty much do the same things as you could do with film, apart, of course, from shooting film.*

By all report, these bodies are actually *better* sealed than old film ones, ....but they should be. Really, all they had to do was get to a certain point.

With a lens, well, fewer ways for a raindrop or bit of melted snow or whatever to get in, is nice, but the thing about calling it weather-sealed is, the sealing has to be *perfect.* Cause imperfect 'sealing' would mean that any moisture that does get in is going to have trouble getting *out.* And that's a potential problem in your optics.
02-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

If you want both peace of mind and to keep your DA 40, you could always rent a DA* lens from cameralensrentals.com. Not sure how long you're going to Costa Rica, but this might solve both problems.
02-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sdesposito Quote
I recently purchased the K20D. One of the features that sold me on the Pentax (vs the Nikon D90 or Canon 40D/50D) was the weather resistant body. Since I'll be visiting Costa Rica in April this was a really important feature to me.

In recent days I've started thinking about the fact that while K20D body is weather resistant, none of my lenses are (in addition to the kit lens I've also purchased the DA 55-200m and the DA 40mm limited).

Will light rain or ocean splashes cause serious damage to the lenses I have?

Should I consider investing in a DA* lens (I would like go for the 16-50mm or the new 55mm). Problem is if I were to invest in a DA* I would likely need to sell the 40mm to help offset the cost....and I really like the 40mm.

Also, just how weather resistant is the K20D + a DA* lens. Could I shoot in pouring rain, heavy snow, etc?

Any recommendations? Thanks

I've used it for 45 minutes in the pouring rain on one occasion (rain was so hard that softball fields flooded quickly but tournament games are NOT stopped unless there is lightening). I've used it in the snow, sleet, and light to moderate rain on many occasions. Freezing fog, and fog as well. On one occasion it was 100% humidity at 5000ft, we were in and out of the clouds, and my gear (pack, clothes, body) was completely soaked from moisture, as was my camera!

I really don't understand why people continue to debate this.

The K20D/K10D are fully sealed cameras. There was a post on photo.net recently about snow in london and the K20D and 50-135 was fully covered in snow on a tripod. I have not seen a secondary post that said it's no longer working.

Secondly, while it was well agreed that YOU SHOULD NOT put your K20D under a faucet the K10D/GX10 was put under a faucet and again it still worked (see youtube or dpreview.com for thread).

I'm not really sure who is spreading the rumors that the sealing is sub par, or what they have to gain. I suspect Canon and Nikon have the most to gain from this, as do disgruntled Canon and Nikon shooters unhappy with that fact they have to spend $1600 to $3000 to get a sealed camera, and Canon is more like $4000.

Most of the people spewing malicious and wrong information about the sealing actually never needed a sealed camera, and most likely never used it in conditions that surely required sealing.

I have almost 20,000 actuations on my K10D, I have used it mostly outdoors for over 2 years, I have also used a K20D in many situations where sealing was essential over a 5 month span, and again both cameras are fully functional and continue to take quality photos with no sign of damage or wear.

Further, while the worst of the weather (the 45minute pouring rain) was endured with a sealed lens, most of my other inclement weather shooting has been done with non sealed lenses. In 10 years I have never lost a lens, and never had fungus. Granted I usually use my manual focus lenses for this type of stuff since they are typically better built and more durable than modern autofocus, the point of course is sealed lenses are not 100% necessary to protect the camera body except in the worst conditions.

I highly doubt, unless you live in the rain forest, that you or your gear see more days of rain, snow, sleet and 100% humidity in the clouds fog than I do. Quite frankly Pentax should be giving me free gear to test for them, as there is no test like the real world.

Bottom line, the cameras are sealed well enough that most likely YOU will be beaten to sumbimission from the elements before they do!

Now go take your camera outside, take some photos and stop worrying that Pentax is somehow trying to trick you into believing you have a sealed camera when you really don't!
02-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #27

First let me get it out that I have no affiliation with canon, I don't even own one, I'm pentax through and through.

QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Yes I do wanna bet. How much have you got? Go check this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/49674-fate-one-5d-mkii.html

And this post, by me, specifically:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/480439-post14.html

Then go read the links referred to in that post.

Then come back here and apologize, because they aren't comparable. The 5dmk2 is NOT WEATHER SEALED. Canon just spin a load of marketing bullshit about "improved resistance" which DPReview parrot onwards.
Wow you only read what you want don't you.
QuoteQuote:
One of the owners mentions what happened here, his 2 cameras that died that were under rain covers!
So you're using the death of two dry cameras to promote your idea that they can't take rain?! that's 2 out of the 6 that died didn't even get wet! They most likely died from the cold. It's reasonable to conclude that the other 4 died from the same reason. Especially since 20 more suffered through the same conditions without a problem.
Who says that the ones affected weren't defective. What lenses were they using? maybe that was where all the moisture got in

the other idiot let his camera take a swim in Dr Pepper. Did you forget the fact that we're discussing how well they handle rain not submersion. Did you forget the fact that water is not the same as a fizzy soft drink? The camera was in his bag, for all we know he only had a lens cap on.

So let me get this straight one dude drenched his camera in Dr pepper and a bunch of cameras died in the cold/were faulty. You ignore the other 20 that survived just fine. way to prove your point
02-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #28

First let me get it out that I have no affiliation with canon, I don't even own one, I'm pentax through and through.

Wow you only read what you want don't you.

So you're using the death of two dry cameras to promote your idea that they can't take rain?! that's 2 out of the 6 that died didn't even get wet! They most likely died from the cold. It's reasonable to conclude that the other 4 died from the same reason. Especially since 20 more suffered through the same conditions without a problem.
Who says that the ones affected weren't defective. What lenses were they using? maybe that was where all the moisture got in

the other idiot let his camera take a swim in Dr Pepper. Did you forget the fact that we're discussing how well they handle rain not submersion. Did you forget the fact that water is not the same as a fizzy soft drink? The camera was in his bag, for all we know he only had a lens cap on.

So let me get this straight one dude drenched his camera in Dr pepper and a bunch of cameras died in the cold/were faulty. You ignore the other 20 that survived just fine. way to prove your point
You didn't even read the links that I or Tigershoot linked to obviously, and didn't even properly read the DPReview review you linked to, and won't acknowledge you are wrong, nor apologize for your attitude, OR even see the logical flaws in your own arguments, so I'll just leave you to it.
02-14-2009, 03:33 AM   #29

No doubt about dust and weather seal on my K10D and DA*16-50.
Rain or shine will do. Mud on my camera body or lens! Just wash it with clean water and wipe it.
02-14-2009, 03:54 AM   #30

I have been using my K10 and K20 cameras regularly several years in light and moderate rain, shooting, hanging in the neck etc. without ANY problems.

Inspite of that; we were in the Iceland in the very first day of Pentax meeting and walked in the moderate rain to the local waterfalls. We were out in the rain about 2 hours. Because of my earlyer experiences I didnt protect my camera at all, just only wiped water from Sigma 70-200 front lens before shooting.

I again didnt have any problems, but two other Pentaxists got water under the back LCD screen. One of those got also some malfunctions which disappeared during next days. Three other K10/K20:s didnt have any problems at all, including mine.

We discussed about this and there is maybe an possibility that those two bodies had taken some hits before the Iceland meeting and so got leaking sealings somehow ....