Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

a total newbie needs help with actuations and lenses

so... im a complete newbie with dslr...

i've spent some time wit a pentax film slr that my dad bought me
when i was in high school... but i never had dslr.....

anyways... the question is

how much do actuations/shutter count matter???
i know its like the car mileage and stuff...
i should judge the camera by just the actuation..
but i have no frame of reference or anything like that.....

since im just trying to get into dslr, i was thinking of getting a used one...
(of course a PENTAX!!! woot woot!)
but the actuations kinda got me worried/confused at same time...

what's the good/decent actuation count for a used dslr for a newbie like me???

also i have these glasses that my dad bought me with the film slr

SMC Pentax-FAJ 1:3.5(22) - 5.6(38) 28-80mm AL
SMC Pentax-FA 80-200mm 1:4.7-5.6

since i have the 28-80mm...
would it make more sense for me to just use that lens wit the dslr im gonna get,
or should i get the DA 18-55mm that are usually bundled???

any advice/recommendation would be great.

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well my K10D just went into the shop last week with aprox. 102,000 actuations and it wasn't the shutter that went bad.

Anything in the 20,000 range is good because with normal use it shouldn't reach anything too crazy for a couple of years.

I'm an odd case and pretty much abused that camera
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kwonjustin Quote
also i have these glasses that my dad bought me with the film slr

SMC Pentax-FAJ 1:3.5(22) - 5.6(38) 28-80mm AL
SMC Pentax-FA 80-200mm 1:4.7-5.6

since i have the 28-80mm...
would it make more sense for me to just use that lens wit the dslr im gonna get,
or should i get the DA 18-55mm that are usually bundled???

any advice/recommendation would be great.
Chris has you covered on the actuation part, so I'll tackle the lenses:

The FA J 28-80 doesn't go as wide as you might like on a digital SLR, so I would recommend that, if at all possible, you get the 18-55 with your camera, or buy one separately afterwards. It outperforms the 28-80 both in wide-angle coverage and optical performance. I own both, and I've used both extensively.
02-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Well my K10D just went into the shop last week with aprox. 102,000 actuations and it wasn't the shutter that went bad.
codiac, I think you have the highest actuation count of all which have been documented.

BTW, what went bad, eventually?

02-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

Anything in the 20,000 range is good because with normal use it shouldn't reach anything too crazy for a couple of years.

I'm an odd case and pretty much abused that camera
dang... 102k actuation???!!!! wow... i've never seen any actuation count as remotely as high as that. haha

thanks for the replies..
i was leaning toward buying the 18-55... and this settles it. haha

and oh yea... Chris, what did go bad??? just curious... haha

and ftpaddict, do you use the FAJ one much??? or do you just mostly use the 18-55?
i was thinking about giving my film slr to my sis.. so just wondering.
02-12-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kwonjustin Quote
and ftpaddict, do you use the FAJ one much??? or do you just mostly use the 18-55?
i was thinking about giving my film slr to my sis.. so just wondering.
I use the 18-55 on digital and the 28-80 with my film camera. The 28-80 exhibits strange ghosting artefacts on digital if it is not stopped down, but I see no such problem on film.
02-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, don't get too wrapped around the axle with actuations and stuff, just get out there with a newly acquired Pentax camera, your fathers lenses and enjoy your photography.

Then later on you can start plotting to feed your LBA.

02-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The 80-200 4.7-5.6 (at least the 'F' version) telezoom is actually pretty good optically even if it is kind of low-rent plastic construction. It is internal-zoom (doesn't extend while zooming) which is a nice design feature. I'd say hang onto this rather than upgrading to a DA50-200 and save your pennies for a DA55-300 later.

You'll probably find that the FA-J 28-80 isn't worth much on the used market. You might want to play with it a bit though...sometimes film-friendly focal length ranges like that are handy because they extend from 'normal' to 'short telephoto'/portrait range--nice for taking head & shoulders portraits across a room. The 18-55 is kind of short for something like that...plus your telezoom doesn't start until 80mm so it helps fill that gap.

Both the FA 80-200/4.7-5.6 and the FA-J 28-80 are criticized for their plastic lens mounts. I wouldn't worry about this too much. Before you wear those out you'll probably want to upgrade them anyway.