Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K20D and MasterWorks: Jumpstart Guide for the K20D.

Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K20D: Peter K. Burian: Books

MasterWorks | DVD-Video: Jumpstart Guide | JSGPK20D | B&H Photo

are both worth buying for better understanding of what each function on the K20D does?

thanks.

02-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not familiar with the dvd, but I have the Magic Lantern Guide. It's very good for a quick reference.
02-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I'm not familiar with the dvd, but I have the Magic Lantern Guide. It's very good for a quick reference.
when you say quick reference...???
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the Magic Lantern guide for the K10D and found it to be a very good introduction to the camera and to the basics of photography (something I needed) as well. Never heard of the DVD either.

02-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

why would you read that book when you have this forum? :ugh:
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
Amazon.com: Magic Lantern Guides: Pentax K20D: Peter K. Burian: Books

MasterWorks | DVD-Video: Jumpstart Guide | JSGPK20D | B&H Photo

are both worth buying for better understanding of what each function on the K20D does?

thanks.
I've got the magic lantern guide for the K20D and to be honest, I would have liked a bit of "examples" of whatever setting is being discussed. IMHO is about the same as the owner's manual, but a bit friendlier, Thats it.
02-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I have the ML K20d and K200d books (and the relevant cameras).

The K20 book seems to have been written by a photographic writer who has used the camera for a day or two. It contains some useful and unique information, but, on the whole, very much seems as if it was written by someone following a How to Write Magic Lantern template, with the odd reference back to the User Manual, which it largely repeats and closely mirrors. Not my best buy ever, by a long way, but I am glad I have a copy, nonetheless.

The ML K200d book on the other hand is clearly written by someone who has used the camera extensively. It doesn't simply mirror and expand slightly on the manual, but, rather, takes a completely different angle in explaining how to use the camera, and how to get the best out of it, with lots of really very useful tips. Plus it makes a pretty good fist at clearly explaining a great deal of general photographic theory and technique.

ML K20d = 60%

ML K200d = 95%.

If money allows, you wouldn't, imho, actually regret buying the K200d book, along with the K20 one, to use as another reference for your *K20d*.

I've never seen the DVD.

02-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #8

The forums are great, but I got the book as well. I read the book when I'm on the bus, or at work. Good investment.
02-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Inactive Account

How About....

k10dbook home
by a forum member. (Yvon Bourque)
He also has a K20D book.
I have the K10d camera and bought his book to learn how to use it. Good, easy to follow information.
He's currently selling his books as downloads only, but cheap. I just bought his K100D download (and printed it out at work) for my wife to reference for her K200D (they seem really similar as far as the controls go).
I like the idea of supporting a member that can provide this sort of service.
Brian
P.S. I have no connection and get no commision. I just like his book!
02-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Just bought the Magic Lantern guide to K20D from Chapters and it was delivered today. Now, I think I just wasted $25.
Oh, well. That may just be the cost of doing business over the internet whereupon you can't touch and look at what you are actually buying.
02-12-2009, 10:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the Magic Lantern guide
if you know a little photography and just want to find quickly how to apply technique stuff on the k20D this book is simple and fantastic.
if you are new to photography and need to learn the basic terms this book will not be much more help then the manual