Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 05:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What memory to buy to go wit k100d?

i recently bought a k100d wit kit lens off of a forum member.
this is my first dslr so i need to buy a whole list of things (though i already have 2 lens from my film slr) and i kinda got stuck at memory card...

my friends been recommending (rather insisting) that i get a sdhc class 6...
since its must faster and crap.... but they have canon xsi and other ones
that have must faster fps.... also the write speed is pretty fast on their camera...

i kno k100d doesn't have FAST write speed...
i remember reading somewhere its between 2~3mbps usually 2.5mbps...

so does it make sense for me to get a class 6 sdhc???

i guess the faster reading speed is a definite plus...
but just considering the write speed... a class 4 should do it right?

is there much price difference anyway?
it seems like class 6 sdhc is become like the "standard" nowadays....

thanks in advance

02-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever card you choose, make sure its an original. You would not beleive how many fake (counterfit) memory cards are out there.

Remember: Anything that has a good name is bound to be counterfitted by someone, and the worst thing about this, is that many times the retailer doesn't know about it.

Be suspicious of low prices, great deals and online vendors.

Check this:
Fake Memory Cards - OCAU Wiki
Beware of fake memory cards
Fake SanDisk Compact Flash card
Fake memory cards demystified - Tips & Tricks - CNET Asia
Beware fake memory cards | Storage Bits | ZDNet.com
02-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Considering that decent SD cards are relatively cheap (at least in the US) and that a class 6 card will serve you better when you upgrade your camera, that's what I would suggest.
I highly recommend the Transcend 8 & 16 GB versions. Mine perform well in the camera and have survived nearly 6 months of daily use and they include a convenient, small card reader. I got mine from Amazon, but they're available elsewhere.

hth
02-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

What memory to buy?

It depends if you are the nostalgic type or not.

02-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Since you have a K100D, I don't see a REAL need for a super high capacity card. Newegg.com sells OCZ 2 gig 150X speed cards VERY cheap. I have 5 of em I think, and have never had a problem with them.

Link: Newegg.com - OCZ Speed 150X 2GB Secure Digital (SD) Flash Card Model OCZSD150-2GB - Flash Memory

if you really want SDHC, here is a 4 gig for just a tiny bit more Newegg.com - OCZ Gold Series 4GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) 150x Flash Card Model OCZSDHC6PRO-4GB - Flash Memory
02-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'll also 2nd the Transcend recommendation. They're cheap and reliable. Newegg has their 8 and 16 gb class 6 cards for about $2/gb.
02-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K100D is no speed demon so anything above 50X or so is wasted.

I've used SanDisk Ultra II's, Lexar Platinum, and Kingston in the K100D, and lately the bigger Transcend Class 6 cards in the K20D.

Never had a card problem except one day I had the lock slider locked and could not figure out why I could not take a picture. My LCD protector was covering the error message, so I tried everything else I could think of first...
02-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Damn Brit

There are two schools of thought with regards to what size card you get.
If you get an 8gig for example, you probably won't have to worry about running out of space and having to change cards. The downside of so much memory is that if something goes wrong with the card you potentially lose more shots. An 8gig card will also take a long time to download making the camera unavailable for that length of time unless you use a card reader.
Personally I would prefer four 2gig cards over one 8gig card. Yes I might have to change them occasionally during a shoot but if something goes wrong, I won't have lost everything.

02-14-2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What Gary said.

wal'
02-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I mostly use Transcend and Kingston SD 2GB cards, mostly because I got a good deal on them with a Canon SD1000-which died. Since these cards can hold 560-ish pics on my 6.1 megapixel camera, I don't see the need - yet to get SDHC cards. Maybe if I was to get a K20D, or a not yet released camera...................

I have not had any problems with the cards in my K100D though.

Last edited by chalion; 02-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.
02-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #11

I find myself finishing a 4gb sandisk card relatively quickly. You're right about this camera having slow write speeds so most of the cards out there will be sufficient. But seeing how memory cards these days aren't that expensive, I'd get a fast 8gb or 16gb just to be future proof.
02-23-2009, 06:05 AM   #12

Class 6 and class 4 cards should be about the same price. but the class rating doesn't tell the whole story about speed. In my personal experience (which could be totally different from others'), Transcend class 6 cards are faster than those from Sandisk or Kingston.
02-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
Forum Member

Doesn't Pentax recommend 8Gb for firmware updates anyway?

Thats why I went with it. I back mine up after about 1Gb is on it, I never walk around with more than that. However, 8Gb is a good buffer for shooting RAW.

As far as write speed. It's amazing how many of those "fast" cards are sold
at Wal-Mart. You just know those $80 cards are going into p&s cameras.

It just proves if its more expensive they think its better for them.