Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #1

K200D Battery compatibility

I think I know the answer to this question, but just to clarify and put my mind at ease. ... The K200D quick start guide has a table listing the batteries compatible with the camera. This table lists, Lithium AAs, Ni-MH Rechargeable AA batteries, and Alkaline AA.

Right below this table it says: Caution, the use of Ni-MH batteries is not recommended as the voltage my cause malfunction.

I assume they caution against the use of Non-Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries, but the rechargeable versions are okay??

Can someone clarify?

Thanks!

02-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
read up on what is Ni-MH.

so far most of the users i know use eneloop batteries since they cant be bothered to practice recharging batteries before a shoot. such batteries retain their charge longer but i do find the flash is kinda slower to recycle compared to using regular rechargeable batteries. Still faster then most AA anyway.

however if you can, try these out..
02-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
AGW
Inactive Account

I've only had my K200d for three days so take this for what it's worth, but I stuck a set of fully charged Energizer Rechargeable 2500 mAh batteries in it the day it arrived and they still show a full charge on the LCD. This is with the camera on for a couple hours a day while going through the manual and taking and deleting some pictures around the shop and house to get used to it. It seems to be working just fine with these batteries.

Al
02-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterLag Quote
I assume they caution against the use of Non-Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries, but the rechargeable versions are okay??
I don't have the manual in front of me, so I am not sure on the exact wording, but I think this is referring to the fact that rechargeable li-ion (CR-V3 i think) package size are generally too high of a voltage, and can wreak all sorts of havoc on the electronics in your camera. Basically the voltage on those rechargeables is poorly marked or measured, and approaches the high end of acceptable inputs for the cameras. For most of us, it isn't worth the risk to try, and we just use eneloops.

search for CR-V3 on these forums or google

02-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I saw that also in my K200D manual and reread it several times. Certainly is confusing but I have always used rechargeables in both of mine. They last forever. I do not recall that wording in my K100D Super manual.
02-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. Turns out there is another thread on this topic too.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/25039-k200d-batteries.html

From what I'm reading, Ni-MH rechargeables should be fine, and I should look for some Sanyo Eneloops or equivalent rebrands. Any advice on what charger to use with such batteries?

In that other thread a couple people thought that the manual had a misprint and maybe it talked about Ni-Mn batteries instead. I just downloaded the manual from pentax.ca and it does indeed say Ni-Mn. What are Ni-Mn batteries? Or is it just a misprint?
02-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a good charger for sure, you will thank yourself later.. I have the Powerex/MAHA MH-C204W, and it is a nice charger. It does the "refresh" thing, which charges the battery fully, then drains fully, then recharges, which, reportedly, gives new life to batteries that have lost some of their power. It also individually charges each battery, meaning, it will charge all batteries fully. Some chargers cut off when the first battery reports a full charge, and maybe the other three are only 75% charged. It is also small enough that I can fit it in my camera bag, Mine came with a nice little pouch too. I am sure there are better chargers out there, but this one has served me very well.

Link...... http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/specials--mhc204w-charger-specials-c-224_361.html

Last edited by Stratman; 02-13-2009 at 06:10 PM.
02-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
the Powerex/MAHA MH-C204W [...] individually charges each battery
I have that charger, and while it is a pretty nice charger, it's doesn't charge cells individually; it charges in pairs.

2nd the recommendation on Thomas Distributing. I've ordered from them many times. All my Powerex cells test at 105% to 110% of rated capacity. Your first order, they'll give you a code to use on subsequent orders for 5% off.

Reid

02-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've used several sets of Energizer 2300 and 2500 mAh rechargable NiMH AA batteries with my *ist DS2 without any problems. When fresh, they're probably better than eneloops which I've started using as well. The drawback is that if you pick up your camera after some time has passed (days, weeks) or try to use that spare set that's been sitting in your bag, the life won't be as good. The main benefit of eneloops is that they don't self-discharge like most other rechargable AA's.
03-01-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I think I know the answer to this question, but just to clarify and put my mind at ease. ... The K200D quick start guide has a table listing the batteries compatible with the camera. This table lists, Lithium AAs, Ni-MH Rechargeable AA batteries, and Alkaline AA.

Right below this table it says: Caution, the use of Ni-MH batteries is not recommended as the voltage my cause malfunction.

Can someone clarify?

Thanks!
Yeah: The use of Ni-Mn batteries is not recommended as the batteries’ voltage
characteristics may cause a malfunction.

Ni-MH is not the same with Ni-Mn
03-04-2009, 03:03 AM   #11

I just downloaded the manual from pentax.ca and it does indeed say Ni-Mn. What are Ni-Mn batteries? Or is it just a misprint?
NiMn is Nickel-Manganese; these batteries don't seem to be very common now but they do exist. What little I've found suggests that they typically run a slightly higher voltage than normal for AA batteries. They also might behave strangely under high load. Either situation the camera wouldn't particularly like without being specifically designed for it.