Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is Pentax a winner ?, hmmmm....I guess one could say that, as they got me to part with my hard earned money to purchase a Pentax, when no one put a gun to my head...but, I do not agree with this sentiment,....because the winner here is clearly me, as I own a pentax.

02-17-2009, 03:15 AM   #32
Forum Member

word!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Second richest photo competition in the world (total prize list $100,000). I shot with Canon and Pentax. My Pentax images placed higher...

These are my placings in the competition:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/37654-pentax-takes-1st-2...ges-total.html

Official results on the website:
Valley Land Fund Contest Winner

Regards,
Marc
oh snap!!!
02-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you have any evidence that the comp. runners have an issue with Pentax users? Anyway, if your competition runners care about the equipment you shoot with, it's probably a crappy competition.
02-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #34

Hmm, logical reason for staying with Pentax?
There is none. Or there is zillion reasons.

Let's make a small diagram...

Why did you choose Pentax in the first place?
Do these reasons still hold?

IF No THEN

IF (you have enough money to change systems) THEN (go through all the thrills and chills of selling your equipment and buying another system and be prepared not to be satisfied because the grass is always greener on the other side)
ELSE stay with Pentax

I hope this helped.
Branimir

P.S. You could also outgrow your camera. If that is the case, choose your new camera from wherever you want. But remember - cameras are like a hammer and chisel. One could be diamond coated (Pentax ) the other plain steel, but that would not matter to Michelangelo. You are the one making pictures. You could buy a new camera (FF, medium format, P&S you name it) and make better or worse pictures than you are making now.
I have recently been pleasantly surprised how good some of my pics turned out to be.

02-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Branimir Quote
Hmm, logical reason for staying with Pentax?
There is none. Or there is zillion reasons.

Let's make a small diagram...

Why did you choose Pentax in the first place?
Do these reasons still hold?

IF No THEN

IF (you have enough money to change systems) THEN (go through all the thrills and chills of selling your equipment and buying another system and be prepared not to be satisfied because the grass is always greener on the other side)
ELSE stay with Pentax

I hope this helped.
Branimir

P.S. You could also outgrow your camera. If that is the case, choose your new camera from wherever you want. But remember - cameras are like a hammer and chisel. One could be diamond coated (Pentax ) the other plain steel, but that would not matter to Michelangelo. You are the one making pictures. You could buy a new camera (FF, medium format, P&S you name it) and make better or worse pictures than you are making now.
I have recently been pleasantly surprised how good some of my pics turned out to be.
You ought to make a flowchart and sell it as a poster for all those who are having second thoughts about their camera system.
02-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I won a Nikon camera with a photo i took with my Pentax.
That's one way to level the playing field!
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome Branimir,
trademark it!

02-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I chose Pentax DSLR K100D, because my Canon P&S SD!000 chose to die just days earlier and I didn't want to pay $75 just for the camera shop just to look at it. A discount site chose that time to sell the K100D body for $245 w/shipping, so I picked it up. (Funny thing is, the discount site just sold the K100D against at the same price on 2-18). (Buying $800 worth of lenses- then camera accessories...came soon after).

I almost chose Nikon, because some of my favorite TV shows show them using Nikons. (Product placement, no, really???)..........but I do not regret buying Pentax. Backward compatability to me is a huge plus.
02-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #39
Snaffles

Thanx 4 the informatio arpaagent
02-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #40

New Owner, Pentax all the way!

Hi guys, I'm a totally new owner to Pentax and DSLR's.

My only ever other camera was a Canon Powershot A430.

For me there was only ever one choice and that's Pentax.

Pentax was the only company to offer a DSLR solution that takes normal AA batteries.

I hate all these custom lithium ion batteries with a passion! The cost to replace, the difficulty of finding them once the unit's age a little. And the fact that lithium ion only has a 2 year half shelf life means your most likely buying a partly dead battery straight off the shelf at a redicilious price in the first place really sucks.

Couple this with the excellent backward compatability of the lens mount and it's a no brainer really.

Oh the camera I bought was a K200D. Jumped in just as they were selling out as I felt the K-M was a terrible replacement for the K200D. I really hope to see a K300D and with Live View as live view is the only thing I was disappointed in not getting with the K200D.

One other thing I would like to see with Pentax is the DA 55-300mm lens price come down to something sane. I was forced to buy a 50-200mm simply because the 55-300mm was priced for the fantasy world.

.-.-.
02-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
One other thing I would like to see with Pentax is the DA 55-300mm lens price come down to something sane. I was forced to buy a 50-200mm simply because the 55-300mm was priced for the fantasy world.
from B&H:

Pentax --- DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED: 299.95
Nikon --- Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G: 519.95

If that's a fantasy world, which world is Nikon living in?

[kurt
02-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #42

We don't all live in the land of opportunity!

Pentax Australia --- DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED: 699.95

All prices in Australia are greed driven.

I bet you don't pay $1+ a minute for your mobile phone calls as well!

.-.-.

QuoteOriginally posted by shuttervox Quote
from B&H:

Pentax --- DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED: 299.95
Nikon --- Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G: 519.95

If that's a fantasy world, which world is Nikon living in?

[kurt
02-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
We don't all live in the land of opportunity!

Pentax Australia --- DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED: 699.95

All prices in Australia are greed driven.

I bet you don't pay $1+ a minute for your mobile phone calls as well!

.-.-.
I'll see your 699 AUD, and raise you $1449 NZD.

(To be fair though, our dollar has basically collapsed, so it's not entirely unreasonable. The Nikon is $1279)
02-25-2009, 12:35 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
"drop the annoying text messaging language in favour of real English, use a font that doesn't look like the internet equivalent of starting a shouting match,"

"I really don't care what other photographers are using".
This words was taken right out of my mouth.
Great response Wheatfield.

I felt too that your language was beloning to a 13 year old msn fanatic, that couldn't write correct. If you want a serios answer you maybe shall try to answer a serios question :ugh:

Why do you want to use pentax? think about that insteed of ask us why you shall use pentax....it's kind of your own choice right?

//Emil
02-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
This words was taken right out of my mouth.
Great response Wheatfield.

I felt too that your language was beloning to a 13 year old msn fanatic, that couldn't write correct. If you want a serios answer you maybe shall try to answer a serios question :ugh:

Why do you want to use pentax? think about that insteed of ask us why you shall use pentax....it's kind of your own choice right?

//Emil
Oh Emil.

Perhapse you could use your own advice and learn from your grammatical error. "words was taken" is not proper english. So don't be so harsh on others! I am not trying to be mean, I am just saying...