Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #76
Pentaxian

I use cannon and Pentax side by side...and my credentials on this particular topic lie in the fact that I have used just about every major make of camera out there(excepting nikon,olympus,mamiya) and in every professional format 35mm,6X4.5,6X6,6X7,4X5,8X10. and in the 35mm arena canon are good...the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but you still have to mow it!

For me, pentax gets the job done..I wish canon 1 series DSLRs employed a mirror lock up that didn't requre dragging through several menus where the pentax you have to press two buttons and it's there. I especially love the TAv mode and the SV mode which are excellent for quick work in rapidly changing light. Pentax have metering that is VERY consistent...the K10D is pretty much as accurate as the LX on CWA metering which I use ALOT - canons are a bit touchy on CWA, the central point is too sensitive leading to underexposure with is BAD on digital.

also pentax make some truly unique lenses,zoom fisheye lenses, pancakes and high performance limited. The construction quality is very good for most pentax lenses...sure pentax does have some rather poorly built lenses...but so does nikon and canon. additionally, pentax lens compatibility is second to none...sure nikon have some compatibility but they aren't as complete as pentax. And the in body shake reduction when deployed properly is worth the expense. the lenses are the primary reason why I shoot pentax...their lenses are contrasty in situations when no other lens would be, their lenses stomp on their competitors for sharpness and most importantly their lenses are consistent a 1968 50mm f/1.4 Takumar renders things the same way a FA50mm f/1.4 does..the 1972 35mm f/2 Takumar renders things the same way the FA 35mm f/2 does...Leica and Zeiss lenses share the same consistent performance.

from the way I see it, Pentax have already won. Nikon and Canon are trying to catch up.

also pentax's adoption of the DNG RAW format re-affirmed my support of pentax. Leica, Hasselblad and Phase one and other high end camera manafactureres have adopted this format as well because they know what photgraphers need and they are willing to shed their corporate egos to provide it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-22-2009 at 06:47 AM.
03-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snaffles Quote
Hi Mike Cash there seems to be no pleasing any body,but there you go.
Poor little you.

Going back and deleting text that has already generated around 60 replies is rude at best.
03-22-2009, 05:39 PM   #78
Snaffles

Hi Digitalis, Thank for your reply. You have expressed alot of what I was feeling and trying to say (so far I have'nt started too well as you may have read-lol) about Pentax .

They do have an extensive range of high quality lenses and what grabs me is that they are backward compatible and I like the fact their cameras have anti-shake on board rather than in the lens, cutting down production costs for the user. Pentax are sensitive to the users needs and in the long run the enjoyment of use will be handed on to the next be it friend, sons or daughters.
03-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #79
Snaffles

Get a life Mike, it took some folk months before they got the courage to even open this thread, more's the point Why?

Its so easy poking holes than it is plugging leaks. (snaffles "90")

That remark does not apply only to you, so I am not being personal, invasive, attacking, using short cuts, misusing words (God forbid I thought my teacher was in-ha- ha), I dont call people "Trolls"(still no definition from anybody) -water off a ducks back. If I had let remarks like some have made, God forbid, I would have found myself in a corner with the light off yeeeeeeeaaarrrsssssss ago.

I'm not perfect by a long shot,who is!

All I wanted to know is why use a Pentax and why Pentax was not on the tip of everyones tongue and I still do.

I feel good that the title of my thread has brought in such a diverse cross section of people, with and without attitude, some stronger than others. Thats what makes life interesting.

03-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #80
Inactive Account

I dont call people "Trolls"(still no definition from anybody)
Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Hope this helps.
03-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #81
Snaffles

Hi wlank, Took your advice and looked up "troll (internet)" via Wikipedia and am wiser now than I was before ,I had never come across that term.Thanks
03-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #82
Snaffles

I would like 2 (inside joke) thank all those who contributed to this thread-though not dead,yet.Cheers.
03-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #83
Inactive Account

All I wanted to know is why use a Pentax and why Pentax was not on the tip of everyones tongue and I still do.
An aside: Interesting to note that Pentax themselves describe their cameras as good for the serious amateur photographer. I noted it two weeks ago on their site.

Why I bought a Pentax: Just a student, looked for the cheapest DSLR. If that makes me a troll, I feel I a good decent honest one. Nuff said.

04-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #84
Veteran Member

good to see you took the "critiques" for what they are, and finally understood they are meant to be helpful. sidenote: mike is [write] right, it is confusing to replace an initial question, when you edit, it makes the reast of the thread hard to understand after the fact, edit is for adding stuff not for changing ones point of view. just think about it , he was just trying to help you understand that.

now to your (rephrased) question: for me it started with dslrs, i was too stupid to buy a pentax back in the film days (i wish i had, i don't regret my choices though, they were all good cameras, i only regret i didn't notice pentax for what it was. no internet for me in those days, and national geographic only had nikon and minolta adverts ). at some point i realised i could get a dslr for about 500bucks, that was my psychological limit, it meant "it was time". i saw a k100d in a shop, i held it, played with it for a minute, i was in love. it may sound stupid, but it just felt right. i also held a nikon d50, looked through the viewfinder, it felt okay, the viewfinder was crap, but usable. i wanted the k100d, bought the nikon instead (main reason was the pentax was not in stock at the right price anywhere, and i was in a hurry). the d50 served me well, but after half a year or so i just had to get the k100d and scratch that itch, i never regreted it, i loved it. among the reasons i stay with pentax are the decent all round built quality, the no-nonsense backwards compatibility, the lenses, and, last but not least, the comunity here which seems to me unlike any other (i'd still hang around here if i would ever decide to switch for whatever reason). in short, my pentax gear does what i need it to do, so i can be busy shooting instead of "wondering". in my oppinion, if you have doubts about your gear, you are either doing something wrong (most often it is the case), or the gear does not suith you and you should switch. it's about photography, not about brands or technology.

hope this helps, have fun.

Last edited by nanok; 04-05-2009 at 04:36 AM. Reason: stupid typo []
04-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Thank you, Nanok.

Photo by Zamber, used under Creative Commons license
04-04-2009, 04:34 AM   #86
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Hi, I would like 2 know,with a passion, WHY Pentax cameras are or appear never 2b amongst the winners in photo competitions. Take the mag Digital Camera's Potographer of the Year comp. Not one Pentax camera,let alone a lens, was used in any of the catagories of the entrants who won or placed.The shooters used either Canon or Nikon,oh one used a Hasslebald. What is the matter with Pentax. I cant accept the old acorn that Pentax users are getting a raw deal from the comp orginisers or they have a deal with these companies,if so then why isnt Pentax????? So come on all you Pentax shooters give me some logical reasons for staying with Pentax. Please no nostalgia. Cheers.
I couldn't give a flying fig what camera system anyone uses.
Show me the results - period.

I'm aware of the offerings from other companies but I'm comfortable with what I have. I'm not rich, either. Switching brands wouldn't be a reasonable or financially sensible thing to do for what little I might gain. I'm not a pro - I just like to have fun taking pictures. I sincerely doubt that many Pentax owners are wringing their hands in frustrated angst that they chose the 'wrong' system.

Far more Porsche's cross the finish line at races, but I am very comfortable driving a Chevrolet.
04-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Far more Porsche's cross the finish line at races, but I am very comfortable driving a Chevrolet.
Then again, Chevys have the most wins in NASCAR history...
04-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #88
Snaffles

Hi Nanok, Thank you for your reply and indicating Mike was trying to help me. In one respect,he was, Mike Cash was being helpful was indeed taken on board apart from his remark "Poor little you." ,which I find a little more than patronising and aggrevating, in his reply 03/22/09 07:24PM.
04-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #89
Veteran Member

If you consider that the word "patronize" is almost certainly related to or derived from the Latin "pater", then you will see that under the circumstances a patronizing tone was appropriate.
04-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #90
Snaffles

Your right,Mike, pater is from the latin, meaning "father"hmmm? Patronising means "to treat in an offensively condescending manner",which is what I found your comment to be. Now lets to the topic at hand shall we.