Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snaffles Quote
Hi, Sorry for the bold red of Pentax,it was not intentional nor did I choose the colour red. As far as helpful content I found most of your remarks rather hostile and ,in the case of Wheatfield abusive. I was not intending to berate Pentax as I have excellent prime lenses by Pentax and find the pictures I take with them are of very good quality. By in large I feel that most of you have missed the point of my question apart from Redpigeons. I was under the impression that this would be a good topic for discussion rather than a slagging match. So can we start afresh and answer my question. Cheers
Sorry for presuming you are a troll, and treating you as one, when all the evidence pointed to you being one.
If you don't want to be treated like a troll, perhaps drop the annoying text messaging language in favour of real English, use a font that doesn't look like the internet equivalent of starting a shouting match, and wording that doesn't look like you are trying to pick a fight.

I don't pay attention to photo contests any more. I've won my share in the past, all shot with Pentax or Tachihara, and I don't feel the need to prove anything. My pictures sell, people seem to like them, and they make me a small income.
For me, that's enough.
I really don't care what other photographers are using.

02-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won a Nikon camera with a photo i took with my Pentax.
02-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Pentax vs. Canikon

I don't know if contest organizers are biased against Pentax. I suppose that some are, especially if it is a magazine or camera store that depends on advertising and support from advertisers.

The fact is, though, that Canon and Nikon, together control about 90 percent of the dslr market, and probably a similar portion of the P & S market. Pentax comes in a distant third or fourth at around 2 percent. To me, it is not surprising that there are many, many more entries (therefore more winners) by Canikon users. Assuming that talent is distributed the same among the different camera makes, there are a lot more good photographers using C or N, than P. They're not good BECAUSE they use C or N, its just simple statistics.

Actually, there may be more good photographers using C or N, because, for the most part, professionals don't use Pentax. This is not because Pentax cameras aren't capable of producing great images. They are. But, C & N have much better pro support, with fast repairs, loaners or rentals during repairs, the ability to rent specialized equipment in most cities. I love my Pentax, but this is just the way things are.

Then there are the "wannabes", that buy expensive C & N gear, because, "if the pros use it, it must be good". Some of these guys are, for all their fiscal foolishness (IMHO), pretty good photographers.

I like my K10D because it is well contructed and it feels right in my hands. It takes just as good images as my brother's D200, but cost one third as much. I like the in-camera stabilization, so all my lenses are stabilized. I know you don't want to hear about nastalgia, but the fact that there are so many great lenses out there, from all the past generations of Pentax cameras, is great. C & N probably have a better selection of current lenses, but if you're not hung-up on auto-focus or even auto-exposure lenses, there are probably more lenses available that will work with current Pentax cameras than C & N combined, since they have chosen to make their old lenses obsolete. The lenses from my brother's Nikon F won't even mount on his D200, while all my Spotmatic lenses work just fine on my K10D. They're even stabilized.
02-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
Snaffles

Thank you for your reply Wheatfield. Honestly I can not understand why the Pentax name comes up red,I did not type it to do that. When I refresh the page the bold red print reverts to ordinary print. Any suggestions as I also find it annoying and do understand that bold print is classed as anger/rage. My theme,so I thouhgt, would stimulate constructive dialogue as to what the competition was doing "right", if there is a right. To me the theme was like asking a BMW driver why he liked driving a BMW instead of a Jaguar. Hope this clarifies my position to all who read my question. I am a Pentax user and have been for 7yrs.Cheers

02-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #20
Snaffles

I am reading this page and all the words Pentax are in red! Can any one tell me why??????
02-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #21
Snaffles

Just refreshed the page and all the red Pentax are in normal print! What's going on???? Is this happenig to any one else reading this thread?
02-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #22
Damn Brit

Just refreshed the page and all the red Pentax are in normal print! What's going on???? Is this happenig to any one else reading this thread?

Report it here; Site Suggestions, Errors, and Help - PentaxForums.com and Adam will look into it.

02-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #23
Snaffles

Thank you Noblepa for your succinct reply. I agree with every word you have passed on.One major reason for going for Pentax,apart from being great cameras, is that Pentax thought of their customers and did not go down the line of C&N +others making lenses for evry new camera they developed. Pentax has a wealth of excellent prime lenses +AF lenses of which I have 4. My photos are taken with a K100D + I like the way it absorbs the image entered via the lens ready for developing. I will,when I can afford it ,upgrade to a K20D. Cheers
02-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
Snaffles

Thanks Brit will do soon. Time 4 bed 02:35hrs here. Got 2b fresh Celtic+Rangers playing this afternoon.
02-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #25
ntx
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
@snaffles:
I (still) don't have a Pentax and I have no "real" decennial experience on photography but I learn that to make a good shot you have in the right place at the right time... this is a commonplace but this is currently true. Take this one or even this of my shots... it's made with my Fujifilm S5500 with a close-up lens... should it demonstrate that I don't need to upgrade my camera? (I bet I will not take such a shot in a year after I'll purchased the Pentax...)
I think you were talking about the dpreview challenge when you say there's no made-in-Pentax winner shot... if I look at that photos I don't see anything you couldn't do being in the same place at the same time with a Pentax (or any other today DSLR)... maybe you couldn't do the same with a compact camera (BTW did you notice how may compact camera shots where placed in the first 20 positions of each category? Are compact camera being as good as DSLR?).
Now, if you look beyond the first placed position, you can find for example that in the 9th position you have a Hasselblad shot: do Hasselblad owners think that their camera is good only for B&W shots? Also, looking beyond the firsts place you can find also Pentax shots (example: 3rd place candlelight portrait is a k10d... honestly, is that worst than the 1st placed?).

So, IMHO you should not focalize on who wins... as said it's statistically easy to have a Canon or a Nikon and not only because of the majority of the their owners, but also because the voters (who should own a camera... reflecting the same market share) are always a bit biased in favor of their owned brand/model.

I was about to choose a Canon because also my friends have it... now I changed my programs in favor of the k200d even by giving up the live-view (which was fundamental for my macro shots...) that Canon feature only because of the Pentax CCD sensor colors. According to the dpreview challenge results I should give up the k200d... or back to film cause a Pentax 67 placed second on the "tables and chairs" category?

Bye
Jenner
02-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you doa search for those terms in the past? Maybe you just need to delete your internet cache, history etc.
02-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #27
Snaffles

Thanx 4 the tip Arpe. This was my 1st time posting. The red letters in Pantex have mysteriously vanished, I did'nt do anything. Cheers.
02-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #28
Snaffles

Can any one tell me what size filter goes on a Pentax F smc 35-70mm + a Pentax F smc 70-210mm, 52mm is just too big.Cheers
02-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

see if Pentax is able to satisfy your requirements.

I started out with Sony and Canon systems and now single system with Pentax. I think the next logical step up would be Medium Format.
02-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Can any one tell me what size filter goes on a Pentax F smc 35-70mm + a Pentax F smc 70-210mm, 52mm is just too big.Cheers
Both take 49mm filters. -Jim