Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM   #46
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
I bet you don't pay $1+ a minute for your mobile phone calls as well!
Are you serious? We don't get very cheap lenses here, but a normal mobile phone call (not to a foreign country or a special priced service) costs me about 7 (Euro) cents a minute. And that's not even the cheapest operator.

EDIT: Sorry about the off topic.

02-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #47
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Australia --- DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED: 699.95
Damn.
That's $452 USD...

What about buying one from ebay and getting it shipped around the world?

At those prices, I'm surprised Pentax Australia doesn't lose all it's business
to "eBay America".

[kurt]

PS: $1445 NZD??? Really? Wow, that's $731 USD... is that right?

Last edited by shuttervox; 02-25-2009 at 10:41 AM.
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #48

Snaffles,

I hear what you are saying. Nikon and Canon users "seem" to get all the awards. I thought briefly of changing. Then I looked in my camera bag. I have a K10D, DA 40mm limited edition pancake lens (never have seen C or N offer a slim lens like that) FA 50 f1.4, AF360 flash and the 18-55 kit lens. (I also have a tamrom telephoto but we are not talking about that) But my point being, the $$ I spent on all that would just barely get me a decent body and one lens from C or N. Pentax makes high quality, AFFORDABLE, equipment.

There are some strong professional photographers that use Pentax. If you just look here
PENTAX Photo Gallery, you see that the equipment is not limiting the photographer. Maybe Pentax shooters shot for the love and enjoyment and don't enter as many contests...

Just my two cents... but if you feel like you don't see many Pentax in Scotland (think that is your loc) try the US!!! I feel very elite.
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #49

Photos: Gallery
Bhaaaa Pentax in NZ. Only 4 V Rich n Woolie! ;)

Yes, disgusting isn't it.

My uncle lives in NZ. Lovely country side, but damn expensive and no single women. Hence the sheep jokes. I feel for you dude!.

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
I'll see your 699 AUD, and raise you $1449 NZD.

(To be fair though, our dollar has basically collapsed, so it's not entirely unreasonable. The Nikon is $1279)

02-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #50
Veteran Member

madisonphotogrl: may i kindly point out the man is not a native english speaker (i know how that is, neither am i). there is a difference between trying hard and making some mistakes, and writing 2 instead of "to" and so on. the critcism may sound harsh, but it is valuable advice, so i will reiterrate it:

to the op: please use words, not numbers and other kwell (...) abreviations and slang (the main reason for this, if nothing else, should be that many people here are not native english speakers, maybe not even particularly good speakers at that, and will find it that much harder to understand you), do not use caps lock, bold or big fonts excesively (these are perceived as screaming/raising your voice), read a few words about netiquette (not because we are all netiquette fascists, but because it will help you get a better response to your questions/topics), read about the meaning of "troll" and avoid such behaviour (it is my impression you did not mean it in this case, and it was an "honest mistake". and last but not least, probably the best document ever written on the subject, and my all time favourite (though not completely related, it will help you, and not only here):
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

now to stop preaching and get back to your (inflamatory) question: the best answer i have seen in this thread was "have you submitted your photos for that contest?", and there's your answer right there. everything about user base and such already said is obviously valid, though it is only intelectual excercise to talk about it: the simple truth is there is _no_ connection whatsoever between the quality of your photography and the specific brand (ah, there may be a connection between how you relate to your camera, how much you like it, how familiar you are with it, and so on, and the quality, some say there surely is, but that is _personal_, if it works for you, it does, if not, you move on, there is no common truth there)

enjoy shooting (whatever brand)
02-25-2009, 08:45 PM   #51

LMAO!!!! Ok so my husband the,internet pro, had to tell me what was meant by "troll" on a forum. I mistakenly thought you all were attacking Snuffles and saying she/he was a troll for using the text language. LOL I am an idiot!

Emil. My sincere apologies. I am sure my Swedish would need correcting too. I am ignorant at times.
02-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snaffles Quote
Hi, I would like 2 know,with a passion, WHY Pentax cameras are or appear never 2b amongst the winners in photo competitions... So come on all you Pentax shooters give me some logical reasons for staying with Pentax. Please no nostalgia. Cheers.
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The photographer wins the prizes not the camera.
  • Pentax users do win competitions as you've seen; just not the one you picked.
  • Damn Brit has the right idea there. I was watching a photography documentary in which a world renouned old pro was taking pictures with a P&S camera. Does that mean DSLRs are inferior, or is his eye with a camera better?
  • I've been to at least two weddings recently where I took some casual pictures that looked TONS better than the pix taken by the pros with other brand equipment.

It all depends on your perspective and skill. The tools are a secondary consideration in most cases. Frankly, it all boils down to what you're comfortable with. I've been using Pentax for 30 years. The equipment is rugged, high quality, and has excellent legacy support. What reasons do I have to change?

Perhaps that should have been your question.

02-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Pentax REALLY a Winner?

""Pentax REALLY a Winner? ""

Is this really a relevant question?

to tell you the truth. It could maybe be more then one winner right?
An other type of thread could be nice, becasue I have seen a tons of this....

and every time the dejavu bell ringing in my ear

Give me a break! :ugh:
03-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #54
Snaffles

Basically all I wanted 2 (to) know was why members chose a Pentax rather than any other camera you care 2 mention-like asking why buy a Dodge instead of a Chevy, that's all. I had'nt the notion that this question would cause such a stir.
03-09-2009, 01:52 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Basically all I wanted 2 (to) know was why members chose a Pentax rather than any other camera you care 2 mention-like asking why buy a Dodge instead of a Chevy, that's all. I had'nt the notion that this question would cause such a stir.
I have to object to your use of numerals instead of using proper words. This is not a chatroom. Please please please write accordingly?
03-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #56
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, anyway, the answer's simple and has been mentioned here and many other threads:
Pentax make very good cameras and lenses, are able to take photos just like any other camera, and do all that at a fraction of the cost of the 'pro' competitors.

Once you get to top level equipment like these, it has less and less to do with the equipment and more and more to do with the operator...
03-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #57
Snaffles

So ftpaddict, I cant see any real reason not to use 2 (to) or B4 and I dont consider this a chatroom, though some may argue. We may as well refrain from using acronyms such as DSLR, VR, P&S, IMHO, DOF, RF, CA, LoL and many, more.
03-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

So ftpaddict, I cant see any real reason not to use 2 (to) or B4 and I dont consider this a chatroom, though some may argue. We may as well refrain from using acronyms such as DSLR, VR, P&S, IMHO, DOF, RF, CA, LoL and many, more.
I am not a troll and don't want to derail this thread, so this will be my final reply on this subject:

Acronyms, initialisms, and alphabetisms are abbreviations that are formed using the initial components in a phrase or name. (DSLR, VR, DOF, RF, CA, LOL, IMHO etc) - Wikipedia definition.

using "2" instead of "to" is just plain lazy. It's only one extra letter.
B4 instead of "before" is very l33t, and also chatroom language (like LOL, but the latter has gained widespread use on the internet)

1n y0ur 0p1n10n, 15 7h15 7h3 w4y p30p|3 5h0u|d wr173 0n 7h15 f0rum? l0l0l0l0l.

The end.

PS: Grammar Nazi.
03-09-2009, 02:01 PM   #59
Snaffles

Ash I totally agree with you and many others it is down to understanding what tools you have and how they work in order to make an accurate,as possible, representation/expression of the world as you want others 2c. My objective was not to dissuade Pentax users from using Pentax (I am a user my self). I was just sick and tired of seeing all the glory going to a select brand of names by publishers. I was at another site where a person was asking what DSLR to by and all that was mentioned were C or N. I put in my $ worth and suggested that he/she try the Pentax range and my reasons, the world of photography is not owned by the few but many.
03-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #60
Snaffles

ftpaddict What on earth is "grammer Nazi"