Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #61
Snaffles

fptaddict "In your opinion,is this the way people should write on this forum". Of course not there are 2 many symbols 2 start with. LoL

03-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not to belabor the thread further, but the April 2009 issue of Popular Photography features an image captured with a K10D as the first place winner of its monthly "Your Best Shot" competition.
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #63
Snaffles

Thanks Indytax you've made my day.
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #64
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Snaffles Quote
So ftpaddict, I cant see any real reason not to use 2 (to) or B4 and I dont consider this a chatroom, though some may argue. We may as well refrain from using acronyms such as DSLR, VR, P&S, IMHO, DOF, RF, CA, LoL and many, more.
If you read the forum rules Snaffles, as is expected of forum members, you will see that it is a requirement that correct grammar be used.
As you don't seem to have read those rules, here is a link; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/1-forum-rules.html
I draw your attention to rule II. Posting
QuoteQuote:
... All posts are also to be written in a mature fashion with correct spelling and grammar.
So you may be finding yourself with infractions if people report your continued failures to even attempt the correct spelling and grammar.

03-13-2009, 05:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

snaffles: i and other people have explained to you before what is proper, i have even tried to explain why; you saying, just after that, that you "see no reason why" makes me feel like i am talking to my cat (as befits her heritage, she will ignore what i say most of the time and go on with whatever she feels like doing at that time).

however, i am going back to the point again (not sure why, but i know next time i will reconsider carefully; others might simply ignore you in the future -- already explained so i wont dwell on that)

statistics have little if anything to do with photography. "we" don't care about the equipment, brand, or whatever. these are tools, and the most important thing is that they do what we need them to do, and as easy as possible. "we" also tend to take joy in using these tools, which helps the "creative process" and/or helps concentrate on "the job" (creating images) rather than the means. we happen to have chosen pentax, you will notice here some people who actually shoot other brands too, sometimes other formats, some of us do so because we decided we need to, some others simply enjoy it and can afford it, some are "about to decide", etc. the point is, cameras don't win contests, similar to guns don't kill people, people do, speed doesn't kill, stupidity does (by yours truly); the badge on your camera will not win you any awards, or lose you any, it might win you social acceptance, feeling of "belonging" and so on, but if the purpose is photography, and better photographs, what you need to work with the most (for improving. adjusting, and so on) is the brain behind the camera. this is in no way an insult, nor should it discourage you, it is true for most of us (after more than a decade, i am consistently unhappy with my pictures, but i guess unhappyness is, to some extent, the motor of progress, right? ) .

you will see canon and nikon recommended in most places. it is not surprizing, nor is it a problem in my opinnion. as far as i can tell, most people for which pentax is a suitable choice only need to have the name mentioned and a push to "check it out", they can figure it out by themselves from there on. if they can't, it is most likely they would be unhappy with the choice later, so no need to try to "convert" people (ex: somebody who will be willing to buy a canon entry dslr because "the pros use canon" will be dificult to convince to buy pentax, and if convinced, will most likely be unhappy in a short time, for obvious reasons: "all the pros i see shoot canon")

and to make an inflamatory remark for the end: a photographer who is not yet able to detatch the work he does from the equipment he uses has a long, long way to go (and perhaps some truns to make to get going in the right direction, too). i usually am very suspicious of photographers who seriously describe their equipment, brand and so on as an essential (and some times even defining) part of their work. i am also bored of people asking me what gear i use (especially people who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between various lenses i might be using anyway), and i recall a quote i will probably never forget: a well known photographer has once been asked "do you only use available light?" to which he replied "yes, always available light. candle light, sunlight, flash, tungsten, you name it, whatever is available, i use it", i believe that says it all.

good luck.
03-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good enough for ya OP? https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/54018-spring-magazine-...ll-pentax.html
03-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #67

Photos: Albums
Maybe one reason not many Pentax winners could be - how many supper-stores carry pentax for beginers to develope a love/loyalty that carries over into advanced photo? I've only owned one before now. Pentax ME, bought it in yard sale in AK 20 years ago and liked it but was too worn to keep. now bidding on MX and probably eventually buy K20. Have owned many others from Nikon, Minolta, olympus etc and still do.

Steve

03-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #68
Snaffles

Hi DamnBrit, I do regret the fact that my topic has upset a few,not all, has gotten off on the wrong side of the horse. I have stated on numerous occasions(throught this thread) that I wanted to know why Pentax was or seems to be left out of the mainstream (nicely brought forth by snkenai's comment).This was the sort of response I was expecting. I instead was lambasted with insults like "troll" (what ever that means) to being called "PS: Grammer Nazi" by ftpaddict.
I have read rule two and it does not say anything about shortening words or using abbreviations just that it should be spelt correctly and in a nice manner. I now realise that not everyone was able to assimilate what I was trying to get across with my "laziness of shortened spelling," unlike shortened blips like IQ,IMO,IMHO,P&S,CA and so on which I suppose any one (from around the world) who reads that knows what it means,at first I did'nt . If I didnt know what those terms meant I made it my business to find out by reading. I am not going to say anything else about the matter as that was not the topic of this thread.
ALL (that is not supposed to be aggressive but all encompassing) I want know are some nice intelligent stories of why you chose Pentax (why a Dodge instead of a Chevy story)instead of any other camera and stop being so on the defensive. I am,after all, a Pentax user myself.Thank you.
03-20-2009, 01:26 AM   #69

I instead was lambasted with insults like "troll" (what ever that means) to being called "PS: Grammer Nazi" by ftpaddict.
Your original post did look like a troll, because you didn't appear to be honestly asking the question. Instead it looked like you were attacking every Pentax user here, just because of the way you wrote things. For example, the title "Pentax REALLY a Winner?" makes it sound like it people here claim Pentax is a winner, that you don't believe them, and want to start an argument about it. (In fact I ignored this thread for a month just because of the title.) The rest of your post didn't do much to change that impression

ftpaddict was describing himself as a "Grammar Nazi" -- it means he was being very picky/critical/pedantic about the way sentences are constructed (deliberately, to make a point, but not to be mean).

QuoteQuote:
I have read rule two and it does not say anything about shortening words or using abbreviations just that it should be spelt correctly and in a nice manner. I now realise that not everyone was able to assimilate what I was trying to get across with my "laziness of shortened spelling,"
I'll let the moderators deal with the rules, but here are three reasons for not using forms like "2c" when you mean "too see":
1) It's impossible to search (either with the forum search or via Google).
2) It's impossible to machine translate, for anyone who speaks another language and is trying to figure out what your post says. Homophones in general don't work outside of their own locales; even someone who can read English but doesn't fluently speak it will have a hard time figuring them out because they don't match sounds.
3) Since you're on a web forum where you generally have a full keyboard to enter text with, it makes you look lazy and immature, as if you aren't really trying to communicate and express yourself. That makes it hard to take you seriously, and only adds to the impression that you're trolling when you start with badly-phrased question.

QuoteQuote:
ALL (that is not supposed to be aggressive but all encompassing) I want know are some nice intelligent stories of why you chose Pentax (why a Dodge instead of a Chevy story)instead of any other camera
Someone earlier gave some reasons very similar to mine for choosing a K200D. It was in my price range, has weather sealing, takes AA batteries, and has a good amount of customizable in-camera processing. I wasn't able to see one in person before I ordered one, but the way the build quality was described, I knew I would like it (I'd ruled out entry-level Canons just based on feel). The lens compatibility is attractive to me from a design perspective: not only did Pentax maintain backwards compatibility, they obviously designed the mount well in the first place to make it last this long and upgrade this well without an overhaul. The in-body shake reduction makes similar sense to me. It's hard to describe, and it's kind of odd ascribing this feeling to a company or product, but there are a lot of little things that make me feel comfortable with the way Pentax does things.

As a first DSLR, I'm quite pleased with my K200D, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything from the other brands.
03-20-2009, 06:14 AM   #70
Snaffles

Thank you Quension for your succicnt reply and I've taken what you said on board, an unfortunate way of wording my question.Now I just may as well consider this 1) discontinue this thread as a lesson learnt 2) rename it and continue with my original theme which was Why you chose Pentax above all other makes - share your story with others . Ideally the way you you expressed yourself " It's hard to describe, and it's kind of odd ascribing this feeling to a company or product, but there are a lot of little things that make me feel comfortable with the way Pentax does things." Any suggestions?
03-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #71
Snaffles

I have edited my initial question. Is there any way I can edit the title?
03-22-2009, 01:56 AM   #72

The edited post looks good. "Ascribe" needs a noun (it's one of those rarely-used words, sorry): "why we ascribe good vibes to Pentax", or something like that.

You probably can't edit the thread title at this point; usually that's only allowed for a few minutes after the first post, then frozen so as not to confuse people. A moderator could change it, though.
03-22-2009, 03:51 AM   #73
Veteran Member

I have edited my initial question. Is there any way I can edit the title?
Going back five weeks after the fact and changing text that lots of people have already replied to is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

There's a difference between "edit" and "delete and replace with something entirely different".
03-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
You probably can't edit the thread title at this point; usually that's only allowed for a few minutes after the first post, then frozen so as not to confuse people. A moderator could change it, though.
Not even a Moderator; only an Administrator. Wish I could. There have been a few times when it would have been most helpful.
03-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #75
Snaffles

Hi Mike Cash there seems to be no pleasing any body,but there you go.