Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
First SLR

I am new to the Pentax DSLR camp but not so much so to Pentax cameras and glass (old K1000 guy).

But, I wanted to know, what were peoples EARLIEST SLR experiences and BEST SLR experiences?

I will tell you my first SLR was K1000 and some glass I borrowed from my father. Sadly, when I moved out, Dad was not easily parted from his K1000 and I was only able to use it on the weekends, when I asked nicely. After a few hours I picked up a Pentax Super Program and used it for awhile. Plus, all kinds of cameras in between the Super Program and my now beloved K200D

One of my best experiences was when I purchased a Zenit-E (Zenit (camera) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) with plenty of glass, which I got off of eBay almost 9 years ago. I'll tell you, you never really knew what you were going to get out of that old thing. It is a 1980 Moscow Olympics edition and it still sits in my closet, complete with all those 42mm lenses that I am hoping to get an adapter to use with my K200D.

Jason

02-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my first SLR in 1980, a Ricoh KR-5. Bought it brand new from Fox Photo, I believe it was $99.99. I still have it, and even after several drops, one dunk in a river, and getting soaked in a bag that I thought was waterproof, it is still working as well as ever. I am pretty sure I still have the box it came in!!

Here she is !!

02-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I found my first good camera in a rental car. It was a Nikonos-IVa. If I had any idea of what it was worth, I would have tracked down the owner. For a while I didn't even know how it worked, until someone in Woods Hole, MA showed me. I used it underwater about twice.

My dad and my younger brother had K1000s that I borrowed, but my sister got a Pentax P3. It had the split-prism viewfinder, which I thought was a huge improvement over the K1000's microprisms. When I went to buy one, they had the P3n, an updated version with a better set of features. I think it was $149 with the A50/2, and they had the K1000 for $99, probably in 1988. My parents gave me a Takumar-A 70-200/f4 zoom to go along with it. A few years later I bought a used P3 with a Sigma Zoom Master 35-70mm f4-5.6 and a Pentax-A 50mm f1.7. I sold the body and the A50/2.0 to my dad. I used these three lenses right up until the summer of 2005, when I dropped the body and the Sigma. The body was fine but the rear element of the Sigma broke loose in an unfixable way. I started looking for information on Pentax digital cameras on the internet, and they had just released the DS. I mentioned it to my wife, who went out and bought it for me.
02-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #4
WJW
Veteran Member

My first was a Ricoh TLS, which I still have, that I bought used in the late 70's. Followed that with a new K1000 in 1984 and a variety of Pentax, Chinon and Ricoh models over the last 20 years. The bodies I liked best were the Pentax ZX-L (currently have), SF1n, and the LX. I have also held on to my Ricoh XR-1 (think KX w/o mlu) and Chinon CP-6 (think Super Program with spot meter).

02-14-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first SLR was a Minolta srt-201. Just out of high school, the mother of a girl I was dating had it in her "toy chest" of toys for kids to use when they came to visit. I asked if I could have it to try out and she said go for it.

The exposure meter was awful. I had better luck guessing. But in the long run, this was a good thing as this was the period I was seriously learning about exposure. I think the handicap forced me to learn much more intensely than just centering the meter and shooting. I still have it today as the picture shows...and as you can see, my exposure technique is not much better. (quick shot...sorry for the saturation!)

Of course I AM a Pentax shooter, so naturally the tattered old strap was replaced with a Pentax one.

Incidently, that lady became my future mother-in-law....I married her daughter.

Got the camera AND the girl!...two birds with one stone!
Attached Images

02-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My first SLR was a Miranda Sensorex 2 bought in 1973. I had saved up quite a while to buy it. The local camera shop sold Miranda's and Nikons and I couldn't afford a Nikon. I had to sell everything off about 2 years later after getting laid off and had 2 sick kids and no insurance. I bought a Pentax SP 1000 as soon as I was back working again and I still have it. There were some other cameras through the years also. I am still shooting with a Pentax because they have been very reliable for me through the years.