Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 05:26 AM   #16

Original Poster
Do a lot of photographers end up moving to digital? I'm not against digital, and if it turns out to be a better option, I'm willing to switch but I like the idea of using film. I guess for me there's a lure to using film, some sort of miss placed nostalgia considering I grew up in the digital era, plus I liken it to analog records: there's an opinion out there that analog records capture a quality of music that digital can't because it captures everything, where as I feel digital recording is an interpertation because the music is converted to binary code. I could be completely wrong with this opinion but from some things I've read online, it's what formed in my head. I'm curious about your (everyone's) opinion on this, though a switch would be far in the future.

02-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital photography has an advantage over digital music. The standard for CD recording was set about 30 years ago, when it seemed like plenty of data. More data would be better and easy today but changing a standard is difficult. The camera sensors can change and progress every year, so at some point, they have become good enough and cheap enough for many photographers. The sensors aren't necessarily good enough for everyone yet. I would stay aware of the progress and potential of digital, because they're still working on it.
02-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brandontowey Quote
Do a lot of photographers end up moving to digital? I'm not against digital, and if it turns out to be a better option, I'm willing to switch but I like the idea of using film. I guess for me there's a lure to using film, some sort of miss placed nostalgia considering I grew up in the digital era, plus I liken it to analog records: there's an opinion out there that analog records capture a quality of music that digital can't because it captures everything, where as I feel digital recording is an interpertation because the music is converted to binary code. I could be completely wrong with this opinion but from some things I've read online, it's what formed in my head. I'm curious about your (everyone's) opinion on this, though a switch would be far in the future.

Many people shoot both film and digital, myself included. I tend to shoot B/W in film and colour in digital.

The prvious point that film cameras are really inexpensive is very true. You can easily find yourself with multiple film bodies before you find the one that is just right for you.

I don't think of film vs digital as either/or, to me it is film AND digital. It's not "moving up" to digital, rather branching out to include digital.

For what its worth here is a list of Pentaxfilm cameras that always come up in, "what camera should I get?" threads. Listed in no real order. Repeated in previous postings and threads.

PZ-1p - as close to a modern pentax digital as was ever built. Same size, feel and controls. Has hyper-program mode.

K1000 - The VW bug of cameras. dependable. simple. enjoyable to use. cult status has bumped the price. The "anti-PZ-1p"

KX - A K1000 with all the features. Usually can be found for less cash then the K1000.

MX - People love this camera. Has every pro feature from the time (except mirror lock up), small. great viewfinder.

LX - Pentax's top film camera. If I could only have one film camera, this would be it.

ME Super - personal favorite for best value. awsome viewfinder (like MX and LX), easy to find used. Often sold by original owner with a bunch of lenses.

MZ-S - Rare. expensive. Pentax's last pro film camera.

Good luck with your choice.