Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #1

trigger voltage K100d Super

I have an old Olympus flash (T32 )that I want to attach to hotshoe of my K100d super. I've read that older flash units may damage circuits of new dSLRs and that
there seems to be a general rule from 6 to ~30 volts, but never specifically for my model.

Does anyone know maximum trigger voltage for the K100D super ? My old Olympus flash measured 11 volts.

Also, recently bought a Pentax AF160 for $10. It flashes before the shutter is released, so no light is recorded ?? Trigger flash is ~4 volts, so seems to be safe
for the circuits. My owners manual only mentions their two expensive Pentax flashes, no third party flashes, so i may be using incorrect modes, exposures...

I seldom take flash pics, but thought it would be nice to try the Olympus T32 since it has a bounce feature and the Pentax AF 160 was only $10.

Thank you.

Gary

02-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Here is a site that has a number of flashes listed.
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

It looks like the T32 is a iffy one, on their list.
02-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the link !! I know my measurement of 11v is a bit high, but am not sure if it will damage my K100d Super. I think the best is to contact Pentax directly and ask them. Again, appreciate your prompt reply !!
Gary
02-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax AF280T flash has 2 power settings in auto and manual (also TTL, but K100D doesn't have TTL).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/49725-pentax-fi...cessories.html
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Pentax-film-bodies-lenses-accessories:
AF280T flash with case, 8+ condition, $35

Unless otherwise noted:
All items 100% operational; glass perfect, diaphragms snappy.
All camera bodies include body cap; lenses front and rear caps.
All service professionally performed by Eric Hendrickson.

Sorry, photos not available at this time; send PM for further details.
Buyer pays actual cost for shipping.

02-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betaPhoto Quote
The Pentax AF280T flash has 2 power settings in auto and manual (also TTL, but K100D doesn't have TTL).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/49725-pentax-fi...cessories.html
thank you for the info !!
Gary
02-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gshin Quote
I have an old Olympus flash (T32 )that I want to attach to hotshoe of my K100d super. I've read that older flash units may damage circuits of new dSLRs and that
there seems to be a general rule from 6 to ~30 volts, but never specifically for my model.

Does anyone know maximum trigger voltage for the K100D super ? My old Olympus flash measured 11 volts.

Also, recently bought a Pentax AF160 for $10. It flashes before the shutter is released, so no light is recorded ?? Trigger flash is ~4 volts, so seems to be safe
for the circuits. My owners manual only mentions their two expensive Pentax flashes, no third party flashes, so i may be using incorrect modes, exposures...

I seldom take flash pics, but thought it would be nice to try the Olympus T32 since it has a bounce feature and the Pentax AF 160 was only $10.

Thank you.

Gary
what did you use to measure flash trigger voltage. Note if you used a meter with a needle, (as opposed to digital) it has errors that cause you to under estimate the reading. Depending on the meter type, and the scale you set, 200 volts trigger voltage can appear to be lower than 15 V measured.
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gshin Quote

Thank you.

Gary
I wouldn't worry about ONLY 11v...
02-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
it was digital, not with a needle. That is quite a descrepancy between 200 and 15 volts !!. Thanks for info !!

gary

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what did you use to measure flash trigger voltage. Note if you used a meter with a needle, (as opposed to digital) it has errors that cause you to under estimate the reading. Depending on the meter type, and the scale you set, 200 volts trigger voltage can appear to be lower than 15 V measured.

02-17-2009, 11:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
oh well, better safe than sorry. Thanks
Gary

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I wouldn't worry about ONLY 11v...
02-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've been using old 12v flashes for a long time. I'm sorry but if the camera only supports flashes under 10v, then it is one pathetic camera. The manufacturer obviously didn't want you to have access to many of the older CHEAPER flashes that will bring them NO PROFIT. We all know PENTAX is not that kind of manufacturer...
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
I've been using old 12v flashes for a long time. I'm sorry but if the camera only supports flashes under 10v, then it is one pathetic camera. The manufacturer obviously didn't want you to have access to many of the older CHEAPER flashes that will bring them NO PROFIT. We all know PENTAX is not that kind of manufacturer...
Hi Dave
OF course....Pentax is NOT that kind of manufacture....
By the way, which model of flashes do you use with your which model of dSLR camera ??

Gary
02-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member

vivitar 2500 thyristor and promaster 7000m on a k100d. The viv2500, I have 2, both measure right at 11.9v...
02-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Don't quote me on this, but I read from a credible source that the current batch of Pentax DSLRs had no problem with trigger voltage up to 25 V.

I myself have been using a Vivitar 283 (9.5 V trigger voltage) with a K10D - no problem so far.

I also have an AF160 that I use to trigger optical slaves (the on-board flash is useless for that). It's interesting that your AF160 is triggered before the shutter release. Try using the AF160 with the body in 2 sec delay mode and post the result. I'm not sure what it will tell us but it's interesting to know.
02-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thx for all your info, SOldBear !!

tried the 2 second timer. Flash time and shutter is "almost" in sync, but flash
just goes of a few microseconds before and misses the shutter.

...then i finally figured out why. On my function button, i changed flash "mode"
from "Manual +redeye reduction" to "manual"...NOW AF works fine !!!! That pre flash on the redeye triggers the initial flash, depleting the capacitor, but doesn't have have time to recharge in time for the main flash. Didn't think the built in flash setting would affect the hotshoe, but apparently it does !!
Now, my $10 AF 160 works !!

Again, thx for your suggestions. My friend just got a Cactus V2 wireless
transmitter. Yesterday, I tried w/ my old Olympus flash and works beautifully !!
Off camera flash setup for abt $42 USD pls shipping, can't go wrong w/ that !!

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Don't quote me on this, but I read from a credible source that the current batch of Pentax DSLRs had no problem with trigger voltage up to 25 V.

I myself have been using a Vivitar 283 (9.5 V trigger voltage) with a K10D - no problem so far.

I also have an AF160 that I use to trigger optical slaves (the on-board flash is useless for that). It's interesting that your AF160 is triggered before the shutter release. Try using the AF160 with the body in 2 sec delay mode and post the result. I'm not sure what it will tell us but it's interesting to know.