Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #1

Freezing cold and its effects on camera.

Living in Northern Ontario we frequently get sub zero temperatures in the winter and especially in January where it recently went to - 44C.
At this temperature there are photo opportunities believe it or not.

My question is:

Do these temperatures affect the CCD or the LCD of my K100D. That is crack or damage them internally due to the extreme freezing temperatures?

I am aware of the affects of cold on the batteries and the procedure of a gradual cooling/warming procedure when exiting and entering a building with the camera.

Any thoughts or experience on this matter would be appreciated.

02-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sylvanite Quote
Living in Northern Ontario we frequently get sub zero temperatures in the winter and especially in January where it recently went to - 44C.

My question is:

Do these temperatures affect the CCD or the LCD of my K100D. That is crack or damage them internally due to the extreme freezing temperatures?

I am aware of the affects of cold on the batteries and the procedure of a gradual cooling/warming procedure when exiting and entering a building with the camera.

You should be fine. I have taken my K10D and K20D out in -25F temps several times this year. Your only concern is condensation. Just make sure when you come indoors you let your gear warm up for abot 15 minutes before taking out the memory card or changing lenses. When coming inside, condensation builds up on the cold surfaces from the warmer, more humid air around it.

There is another thread on this forum that talks about sending a K10D into space on a balloon. If these cameras can handle that, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
02-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The general consensus would seem to be that it's not as big a worry as some might think: just keep your batteries in mind, and let the camera warm up in a bag before exposing it to warm room air, (a good general rule is by the time *you're* used to being in out of the cold, your camera's probably OK condensationwise. )

I'd imagine a frozen camera's case and parts might be more brittle if subjected to shocks or anything: -44 is pretty extreme, of course, but people in general seem to have fewer difficulties than you'd expect.
02-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
sylvanite Freezing cold and its effects on camera.

My question is:

sylvanite: I would read through the thread below--it should allay any fears or concerns you have on this topic. Best!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-pentax-photography/43671-winter-s...-possible.html

02-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who replied.
It has relieved me of a nagging worry.
Now I can shoot with more confidence in the cold.
Thanks Jewelltrail - I read the thread.
02-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I didn't have any time to read through the linked thread to see if it was mentioned there, but as the temps drop really low, isn't there a possibility of the seals shrinking enough to compromise the camera?
02-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Good news, frozen camera = half the noise!
I'm not even kidding, ice cold shooting at ISO3200 is a blast, the cleanest images you will ever see!
Also fantastic for long exposures.
02-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IsaacEastgate Quote
Good news, frozen camera = half the noise!
I'm not even kidding, ice cold shooting at ISO3200 is a blast, the cleanest images you will ever see!
Also fantastic for long exposures.
Yes, the thermal noise is doubling for every 6 to 8 degrees Celsius, which also means that when you go down in temperature, you'll get far less noise

02-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have used my K10D in below 0 f temps without problems. It handles the cold much better than I do. I worry about my camera more in summer heat. I recently noticed the low noise in the cold benefit while shooting an outside hockey game with a 200 mm recently. I set my ISO up to 1600 to get the shutter speed I needed and I was really surprised how sharp and clear they were. I had to double check my exif.
02-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sylvanite Quote
in January where it recently went to - 44C.
All I can say is HOLY CRAP that's cold.
02-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I noticed recently that temperature is recorded in the EXIF (viewed with exiftool). I've been meaning to go back and look at what was recorded there on some colder days.