Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

AF-360fgz with K200d Wirelessly

Hey there, how should i set up my flash for wireless with the k200d? I have it firing wirelessly but it isn't adjusting the lens mm like it does when plugged in directly. I read the manuals, but still isn't clear. Thanks

02-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When it comes to P-TTL and wireless P-TTL, the manuals leave a lot unsaid.

I don't think it will adjust the zoom setting automatically when fired wirelessly. You probably want to use manual zoom. Bear in mind that when used wirelessly, the flash->subject distance may be different than the camera->subject distance so you may want to use a different zoom setting. If in doubt, set it wider for full coverage but wider requires more flash power (longer recycle times, etc.)
02-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Has any body used the Pentax flashes wirelessly? Is it supposed to work the same way, with pre-flash, as it does directly? Everything I read says it is supposed to, but it doesn't.
02-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deathspared Quote
Has any body used the Pentax flashes wirelessly? Is it supposed to work the same way, with pre-flash, as it does directly? Everything I read says it is supposed to, but it doesn't.
I do all the time (2X AF-360FGZ).

For P-TTL: make sure that your remote flash is of SLAVE 1 type (see the note below), flash mode P-TTL, power switch Wireless, and wireless mode to Slave. Set camera flash wireless, or another on-camera flash (AF360/540) to SLAVE 1, Wireless, but wireless mode to either Master or Control (Master fires with external flash, Control does not). Also, make sure they are on the same channel. That should be it!

But remember that Pentax wireless protocol uses OPTICAL communication not radio waves (so light pulses carry encoded information, similar to remote controls), so line of sight or closed space where remote flash can detect direct or reflected light pulses from master or control flash is essential. Wireless mode will most likely NOT work outdoors in broad daylight, over great distances, or in extremely large spaces (concert halls and such). For that you'll need a long PC sync cables or radio triggers (I have used Pocket Wizard and Flash Waves, prefer Flash Waves).

Note: to set SLAVE 1 type - press and hold the Light button for ~3 seconds. Change mode by pressing S. Confirm value by pressing Light again. BTW, SLAVE 1 is Pentax wireless protocol and supports P-TTL, A and M modes. SLAVE 2 type is a "dumb" optical slave that will react to any light pulse from any flash and fire, modes A and M are supported. SLAVE 2 will not work in combination with SLAVE 1 master or control since it will fire as soon as it detects preflash from a P-TTL unit.

BTW, manual is horribly written especially in that section, and experimentation was the only way to learn all this.

02-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I now have it working except for auto zoom. Does auto zoom work for you?
02-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deathspared Quote
Thanks, I now have it working except for auto zoom. Does auto zoom work for you?
Auto zoom should not and in fact can not work, and it does not work for any off camera flash setup with any brand. Here is why: auto zoom matches the coverage of your lens, but for that to work your flash MUST BE ALIGNED with the lens, which means being mounted on the camera. Once you move flash off camera all this does not make any sense anymore and coverage depends on angle, distance from camera, flash to subject distance, you can bounce flash of walls, ceiling and such. So flash "focal lens" coverage means absolutely nothing.

To effectively use flash (or more flash units) off camera consider using light modifiers: diffuser, umbrellas, softboxes, snoots, barn doors, grids and so on. Starting with a translucent umbrella (36" or so), one flash bracket and one light stand would give you most of what you need to start (for ~$50). Working with two units gives you much better control over fill light. Combine it with two umbrellas, umbrella brackets and light stands (for ~$100) and you can get professional results. Check on eBay, search for "strobist kit".

Also, you should know about the Strobist movement - guys dedicated on using small off camera flash (strobe) units (and you are becoming one of them, or, well, us!). Here is the web site, a video tutorial, and I have selected a few example videos at random that will give you a better idea. There are hundreds more on YouTube. Take a look and welcome! :-)

The site:
Strobist

Tutorials:
YouTube - Strobist Preliminaries
YouTube - How to use off camera flash

Some results:
YouTube - Strobist Photo Shoot SYD-SA2 strobist meetup
YouTube - 1st Brussels Strobist Meeting - 3rdNov07 (Part 2/2)
YouTube - Changing Lanes
YouTube - Strobist Technique: Cross-lighting with Wireless Strobes

and so on... :-)