Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Question on Pentax M42 lens

Is Pentax M lenses = Pentax M42 lenses? Or should I be looking for Takumar lenses if I am interested in M42 screwmount?

02-25-2009, 04:10 AM   #2
Banned

a pentax-M is the second generation of K mount lenses. if you are looking specifically for Pentax m42 screwmount lenses, there is only one name. Takumar.

this ranges from:
Takumar
Auto-Takumar
Super-Takumar
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar
SMC Takumar

there are Takumar K mount lenses, but these are not the Takumars you are looking for. these K mount Takumars are labeled as Takumar(Bayonet). sometimes m42 lenses are referred to as 'SM' (screwmount) but that's as close to 'M' as I know. you can of course use many (most) m42 lenses from other manufacturers. the m42 Pentacon or Praktica mount was very popular at the time, and there are many third party lenses. to use an m42 lens on a K mount camera you will need to have an m42-kmount adapter. I suggest only using the genuine Pentax adapter, (which can be purchased from the Pentax USA webstore) but any quality adapter without a flange will do, and retain infinity focus.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/3800-can-i-use-m42-s...unt-d-slr.html

Screwmounts
M42 lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by séamuis; 02-25-2009 at 04:18 AM.