Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K2000 settings

What settings for hue, contrast and sharpness do you use on the camera?

03-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jon pafford Quote
What settings for hue, contrast and sharpness do you use on the camera?
I started off with Natural and the default settings for these. I got frustrated with a lack of sharpness and moved all the settings to the mid point.

I then realised the lack of sharpness was caused by my lack of understanding of depth of field. I did not realise for instance that in a landscape shot I can get very good resolution with F8 if I focus in the mid to near distance, instead of the horizon as I was doing.

It won't be long before I go back to the natural default settings. Here's a sample taken at F9.5 for 6 seconds. I am really happy with the result.

Flickr Photo Download: Swing bridge Lorne Victoria
07-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
I started off with Natural and the default settings for these. I got frustrated with a lack of sharpness and moved all the settings to the mid point.

I then realised the lack of sharpness was caused by my lack of understanding of depth of field. I did not realise for instance that in a landscape shot I can get very good resolution with F8 if I focus in the mid to near distance, instead of the horizon as I was doing.

It won't be long before I go back to the natural default settings. Here's a sample taken at F9.5 for 6 seconds. I am really happy with the result.

Flickr Photo Download: Swing bridge Lorne Victoria
What settings do you generally use on your K2000? I heard that Jpeg compression on this camera is a problem? How do people overcome this with the K2000? There must be a way to get good jpeg pictures out of the camera with pp.
07-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Earlybird Quote
What settings do you generally use on your K2000? I heard that Jpeg compression on this camera is a problem?
"Problem" only in that the settings chosen by Pentax don't happen to match the preference of some particular reviewer. Another reviewer might prefer the settings chosen by Pentax over those the other reviewer would have preferred. It's like anything else in life - one person thinks that crust on a pizza X is too thick and that it should be more like pizza Y, the next person thinks the opposite. There is never one setting or group of settings that satisfies all people all the time - if there were, then Pentax would not have bothered to provide controls.

QuoteQuote:
There must be a way to get good jpeg pictures out of the camera with pp.
You can't undo lossy compression through PP. So if you prefer your JPEG files to be have less compression (meaning fewer compression artifacts but also bigger, of course), then you can't do it by PP'ing a JPEG. You do it by starting from RAW.

07-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #5

You can set the camera to take JPEG and RAW images of the same shot, that's what I do.
07-09-2009, 05:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

What settings do you generally use on your K2000?
If I tell you that I generally like blonde women with big boobs, does that help you? Whatever settings satisfy me, they might not fit your taste. Anyways, I use "bright", contrast and sharpening is on +1 (not sure if that's the default because I played around with different contrast and sharpening settings at the beginning).

QuoteQuote:
I heard that Jpeg compression on this camera is a problem? How do people overcome this with the K2000?
In my personal experience there's nothing wrong with jpg straight out of the camera. Here's a pic straight from the cam, you can decide if jpg quality is good enough for you or not. For me it is good, I can count the hair and skin cells on my daughter's face.
07-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #7

Very nice picture, and certainly the jpg quality looks great with no sharpening artifacts. I assume you used the bright setting with contrast and sharpening on +1. How do you find the colors using the bright mode on the K2000/KM? Any other tips you found helpful for using this camera?
07-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

JPEG compression is not a problem with the K-m / K2000. "Problem" is that one review found the camera in default mode (bright) having too much colour saturation with too much in-camera sharpening. This is simply a matter of taste. It is easy to tune down colour saturation and sharpening so you can program Bright-mode to suit the taste of this particular reviewer. It is also possible to select another mode - like Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vivid etc... All those has pre-programmed settings for contrast, colour saturation, hue and sharpness to suit different modes - and all this can be changed to whatever you want.

Personally, I would go for Bright mode with saturation -1.

Colour saturation is the strength of the colours. More saturation = stronger colours. Less saturation = weaker colours.

07-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I assume you used the bright setting with contrast and sharpening on +1. How do you find the colors using the bright mode on the K2000/KM? Any other tips you found helpful for using this camera?
Yes, I used those settings. I like the colors of bright mode, it seems to be close to what I see with my naked eyes. Of course, others might find natural mode better for their taste.

I can only give some general tips:
  • get basic knowledge of photography from a book or internet article(s): aperture - shutter - sensitivity, how they control exposure, what effects they have on the image (DOF, motion freeze or blur); image composition / framing; how to properly hold the cam; simple/basic photography "tricks" (panning, focus - recompose); histogram, what is it, how to interpret it; etc
  • read the entire manual of the camera. I know you are very excited after opening the box, but reading the manual worths it, it answers a lot of your future questions. You can have the cam near you and try what the manual tells. You can also download the manual in PDF format and read it before you even buy/get the cam (that's what I did).
  • take several shots of the same scene using different picture modes and settings - you can compare the pics on your pc and see which picture mode and what (contrast, sharpening, etc) settings fit your taste
  • use RAW+ format, this way the cam gives you a JPG you can use/view instantly and a RAW file you can play with later to see if you can get a better result from it than camera JPG. Later you can decide to use just JPG or RAW, depending on your success (or failure) with RAW development/processing
  • search (on the forum, on the net with google) to see if your question has already been asked and answered before But don't be afraid to ask a new question or if you don't understand something
  • take all advice with a grain of salt
07-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
Damn Brit

Moved to Beginners Corner where it will be more useful.
07-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I shoot RAW DNG at 10MP in Natural with sharpness turned up to 0. Shadow compensation is set to Off, High-ISO Noise Reduction is set to Strong. My AE Metering is Center-Weighted, and single AF point.