Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Questions on Older K20D

I finally decided on getting a K20D to upgrade from the K100D that my wife was taking, and I think I made a good deal by getting about $125 off a camera that was made last January. I bought the body with the 18-55 AL II kit lens for $750, with a 2-year Pentax extended warranty and free shipping thrown in. The nearest US price I saw was $875 at Amazon, with most other retailers in the $900's for the kit. This is actually the camera I wanted to buy last year when I bought my K100D but couldn't afford. I'd actually never buy the extended warranty, but it was thrown in as a sweetener to clear the inventory. I guess it feels better knowing that with the older camera I have a 3 year warranty.

Anyway, the box was not damaged but it looked like it had been pushed around on the shelf for awhile, and everything was packed nice and tight inside, so I'm pretty sure it was never opened. I'm pretty happy to have this camera, it's great so far.

So my question is, are there any issues with the older K20D's that I should be aware of? Would anyone recommend I upgrade the firmware to the 1.0.1 posted on the Pentax site? It doesn't seem like it would be necessary since there is only one change listed in the upgrade which is for a feature I don't think I'd use. Or are there undisclosed changes that make it worth upgrading? like fixing stability issues and bug fixing.

I've been reading the forums all night looking for some answers, but nothing seems clear to me. A lot of the problems I'm reading about, like the locking up cameras, seem to be in serial numbers that are higher than mine.

My EXIF data reports I have Model 4.1.2.0 with the 1.00 firmware and a manufacture date of 1-22-2008.

02-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #2

Some of the older K20D's have a white balance issue(to green). However i can't be sure if yours is from that period.
02-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Mine reports a manufacture date of Jan 08 2008. No issues other than the usual back/front focus problems. I'm still on the original firmware as well.