k10d great lens 419.05%
k20d nice lens 1780.95%
k30d no lens   00%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

K10d or k20d ... or something else

Hello, First a little about me. I am a former 35mm amateur. I used Canon 35mm in the past and enjoyed my hobby a lot. But, I didn't make a lot of money at the time, so, photography kind of got pushed to the side. Now I am ready to get back into things. I lived for a missionary for a couple of years in Nicaragua and plan on going back to live there again, so I really like the dust sealing of the k10d/k20d. Anyway I am not a pro, but know enough about photography that I dont need a dial for action landscape etc. I really like the layout and price of the k10d, but obviously would prefer the k20d. I have been reading different things on the forums here and want to get an opinion. I still have to wait a month or two to buy the camera because next month I have a lot of bills to pay, but maybe April or May I will be buying ... Anyway If a k30d were to come out I imagine that I would be able to find a used k20d cheaper. If a k20d replacement comes out what would you do in my place. I wont be able to afford a k30d unless I buy the body only... pointless... So, what would you guys do k10d with nice lenses, k20d with decent lens or k30d with no lens¿ Thanks for reading my long winded question.

02-27-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good choice both

QuoteOriginally posted by soycory Quote
Hello, First a little about me. I am a former 35mm amateur. I used Canon 35mm in the past and enjoyed my hobby a lot. But, I didn't make a lot of money at the time, so, photography kind of got pushed to the side. Now I am ready to get back into things. I lived for a missionary for a couple of years in Nicaragua and plan on going back to live there again, so I really like the dust sealing of the k10d/k20d. Anyway I am not a pro, but know enough about photography that I dont need a dial for action landscape etc. I really like the layout and price of the k10d, but obviously would prefer the k20d. I have been reading different things on the forums here and want to get an opinion. I still have to wait a month or two to buy the camera because next month I have a lot of bills to pay, but maybe April or May I will be buying ... Anyway If a k30d were to come out I imagine that I would be able to find a used k20d cheaper. If a k20d replacement comes out what would you do in my place. I wont be able to afford a k30d unless I buy the body only... pointless... So, what would you guys do k10d with nice lenses, k20d with decent lens or k30d with no lens¿ Thanks for reading my long winded question.
Hello! first of all, good luck with the photographing!

I would look a little bit in the fact that the k20d had such a price-drop since it touched the market, that it's now not very much more expensive then the k10d. And it's a lot better camera

Look and compare prizes. Will pentax k20d+exellent lens be more expensive then a k10d with exellent lens?

I should go for a fast 50mm prime. (the FA is good). It's very cheap so you can afford the k20d as well and it gives huge image quality

An other alternative is to buy a used k10d or k20d. The build quality of the pentax are so good, so you don't have to worry about used quality issues.

I would go for a pentax k20d + 50mm FA
or k10d with DA*55mm. (how the lens is whethersealed you will get a complete whethersealed combination).

I hope I helped you a bit Good luck with the choice

Best Regards Emil G
02-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are worried about weather sealing, buy a Pentax. They excel in this area. Plus the build quality (as mentioned) is exceptional.

I have both a K10D and a K20D. They are both wonderful camera bodies. I agree that the K20D is better, but it's not so much better that you should stop considering the K10D.

For me, the biggest difference is just pixels. I can crop my shots much more without losing IQ with shots from my K20D. There are other improvements that make life with the K20D nice.

But for bulb shots or very long exposures, I still prefer my K10D over the K20D. It has the option to turn off the noise reduction, which is a battery and time saver when you are out in the woods at night.

Just some more input for you.
02-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

to me, the third option is counting chickens before they hatch.

Jason

02-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

As for lenses, what are you considering for each option? Do you prefer zooms or primes? What kind of budget are you looking at? There are so many choices that having more info from you would help us help you better.

To me, a K30 and no lens is out of the question. Why buy a body if you can't afford a lens for it?

Heather
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The k20d sounds like the best route, but I would still look at the k30d if one comes out. Depending on price and features, perhaps it with a $40 prime would be something you could grow with..??
02-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Unfortunatly you will be buying into a system instead of a camera.

Lenses do last much, much longer than camera's.

For what it is worth, here is my opinion:

There is a third option: besides the K10/20D. you can find very cheap Samsung GX-20 versions of the K20D priced lower than the K10D.
General rule: without specifying the lens(es) you want to buy, I'd focus on the lens, spend your money there, save on the camera and upgrade to a K30/40D whenever you find the cash and the price of those cameras have dropped from its original starting point.

- Bert

02-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Igilligan

I voted for the K20d w good lens

But two things...

I would get the K20d and a Pentax M 28 3.5, Helios 44M 58mm, Jupiter 9 85mm and Pentax M 135 3.5 or CZ 135 3.5... about the same dough as your 'good' lens option and those primes will rock the with K20d sensor...

AF is for those with broken fingers or the legally blind.

2nd thing... you could wait for the K30 and just get a 20 dollar Helios 44M to go on it I guess.. but then think of all the shots you will miss till it comes out.
02-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Not an owner of any of the choices listed

Since I only own a K100D & ZX-7.................

I'll probably never own a brand new, just released, top of the line camera, so i'd choose the K20D with a nice lens over the other 2 choices. It's mid priced between the 2 (a guess for the not released K30) but like Igilligan states, it has a great sensor, so middle of the line lenses would work better than one nice lens on a K10D.

Also, I may not be legally blind, but sometimes my pictures make it seem that I am.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
But two things...

I would get the K20d and a Pentax M 28 3.5, Helios 44M 58mm, Jupiter 9 85mm and Pentax M 135 3.5 or CZ 135 3.5... about the same dough as your 'good' lens option and those primes will rock the with K20d sensor...

AF is for those with broken fingers or the legally blind.

2nd thing... you could wait for the K30 and just get a 20 dollar Helios 44M to go on it I guess.. but then think of all the shots you will miss till it comes out.
02-27-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you want a camera to take pictures with now, get one now, especially if you're at all concerned about the price. If a K30D is announced soon, it will likely be > $1K. Plus it will take really shitty pictures with no lens. :-)

My vote is that if you're concerned enough about the price, pick the lens you want and get either the K10D or K20D depending on how much money you have left. The K20D is the better body but the differences are fairly subtle, the K10D is still really nice...and if it meant the difference between using the kit lens with K20D and a DA17-70 or DA*16-50 with K10D, I'd rather have the K10D with the better lens. I'm not sure what lens you had in mind, but whatever lens you get will continue to work on the next body.