Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Attaching polariser + ND grad

Hi guys,

I was reading the forum for a while, but never registered. So please let me say hello to everybody here first:

Hello!

It's great to have a Pentax dedicated forum, so thanks to admins / moderators and all contributors.

Right, now please let me ask my first question - about filters. I read a lot about filters and I think I've got the idea when and why to use it. I'am already using Sigma Pro 1 slim polariser and sometimes Sigma ND filter for slowing the exposure.

Now I started to think about ND grads. I understood the Cokin filters aren't the best ones, you can get - but Lee ones are pretty expensive for me. Finally I decided to go for Hitech ones from Formatt - they should be decent quality for reasonable price. (Any thoughts?) I don't want to go for screw-in grad filters.

But what I actually need to ask is: I would like to use the polariser + the ND grad in the same time. Is it actually possible?

I would like to use these filters on DA Ltd lenses (35mm, 70mm and upcoming 15mm one) - won't there be a problem with the lens hood?

Can I mount the polariser on the lens, than attach the square filter holder, operate the polariser for the effect I want and finally put the ND Grad on it's place... I never did it so could you let me know about some sort of BEST PRACTICE?

Or just how to operate polariser + ND Grad in the same time? In efficient and fast way?

Thank you, guys!

02-27-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jet Quote
Hi guys,

I was reading the forum for a while, but never registered. So please let me say hello to everybody here first:

Hello!

It's great to have a Pentax dedicated forum, so thanks to admins / moderators and all contributors.

Right, now please let me ask my first question - about filters. I read a lot about filters and I think I've got the idea when and why to use it. I'am already using Sigma Pro 1 slim polariser and sometimes Sigma ND filter for slowing the exposure.

Now I started to think about ND grads. I understood the Cokin filters aren't the best ones, you can get - but Lee ones are pretty expensive for me. Finally I decided to go for Hitech ones from Formatt - they should be decent quality for reasonable price. (Any thoughts?) I don't want to go for screw-in grad filters.

But what I actually need to ask is: I would like to use the polariser + the ND grad in the same time. Is it actually possible?

I would like to use these filters on DA Ltd lenses (35mm, 70mm and upcoming 15mm one) - won't there be a problem with the lens hood?

Can I mount the polariser on the lens, than attach the square filter holder, operate the polariser for the effect I want and finally put the ND Grad on it's place... I never did it so could you let me know about some sort of BEST PRACTICE?

Or just how to operate polariser + ND Grad in the same time? In efficient and fast way?

Thank you, guys!
Hi...I think the thing you are looking for is: One normal polar-filter and then you add a corkin filter to the lens. This should work I heard that corkin filter is kind of good, no worries there

Is this answer to your question?
02-27-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
Jet
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by losecontrol Quote
Hi...I think the thing you are looking for is: One normal polar-filter and then you add a corkin filter to the lens. This should work I heard that corkin filter is kind of good, no worries there

Is this answer to your question?
Not really. I know I can use normal filter and attach the cokin (or whatever) system on the top - BUT - how efficient it is? Is it easy to operate the polariser, when the cokin filter is attached?

And if I wil rotate the polariser, does that mean that I will rotate the cokin holder at the same time? - that can cause problems, I gues, becouse after rotating the polariser, I will need to re-level the holder with the horizon - which could cause another rotation of polariser... if you know what I mean :-)

So the question is - is there any way, how to operate such a combination of filters simultaneously without problems, in efficient way? Just asking about best practice you guys have with this combination of filters.
02-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use hoya pro 1 polarizer, cokin adapter and hightech NDs filters (pretty good filters).

I'm not an expert (only amateur) but it's not dificult to manage the use of the polarizer plus the NDs, only have to get used to adjust polarizer and NDs when needed. Since I use them for landscape meaning "not in a hurry images" there is not any problem.

Hope my 2 cents help.

02-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Jet
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
I use hoya pro 1 polarizer, cokin adapter and hightech NDs filters (pretty good filters).

I'm not an expert (only amateur) but it's not dificult to manage the use of the polarizer plus the NDs, only have to get used to adjust polarizer and NDs when needed. Since I use them for landscape meaning "not in a hurry images" there is not any problem.

Hope my 2 cents help.
Hm, that sounds quite helpful. Do you use the original Hitech filter holder + adaptor ring, or any other system to hold the filters? And if so, have you got the aluminium / plastic version?
02-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It shouldn't be a problem to have a CP on your lens first, then attach your Cokin adapter and slide in your ND grad, especially if you have a Cokin adapter that accepts more than 1 filter at a time....then put your ND grad in the outer slot. You should be able to get at the CP without much problem. Worst case, just slide up the ND grad, make your CP adjustments, and slide it back. As netuser said, since this setup is used almost exclusively for landscapes, you shouldn't have to rush things too much.

To be honest, I've never used a CP with an ND grad, so I couldn't tell you how the image quality will be affected. I wouldn't think there would be any issue.

As for quality ND grads (Cokin style), try Singh Ray filters. They are pricey but worth the money. With filters, you get what you pay for pretty much.
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #7

navcom explained it well. so i will just restate. think of it as a 3 step process.

1) your polarizer is a screw in type. add that to the lens first. adjust the front part of the polarizer to get desired effect. 2) now add the adapter and slide in the nd grad filter. align the graduation to horizon. 3) do final adjustment/fine tuning of polarizer and nd grad i.e. rotation for polarizer and horizontal-vertical adjustment for grad.

you can always add polarizer first, adapter second and insert grad filter at the end. Then final/next step would be to rotate polarizer, adjust grad filter.

So, basically this is time consuming, hence landscape photogs use this more often than others. I use cokin holders and Singh Ray Gallen Rowell ND grad filters. My polarizer is from B+W. These are of good quality. I have one Cokin and I am selling it soon. Cokin is okay too.

03-19-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hm, that sounds quite helpful. Do you use the original Hitech filter holder + adaptor ring, or any other system to hold the filters? And if so, have you got the aluminium / plastic version?

I use cokin plastic holder and hightech filters
03-19-2009, 05:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Hitech filters are very good quality and a very reasonable choice - much better than Cokin.

It is possible, sometimes helpful but always tedious.

If you use the separate polarizer your suggested useage is fine, though somnewhat tedious. I would also suggest to either use the Cokin wide-angle filter holder or simply cut down one standard holder, because using the polarizer and the filter holder on top increases the chance of vignetting.

Another option is to use a polarizer which fits into the round filter slot in the Cokin holder. But the original Cokin is not overwhelmingly good (some contrast loss and a slight colour tint). The Kood polarizer (fits the Cokin holder) is not really much better, perhaps a little bit less tint. There is, I think, a Lee polarizer which fits the Cokin holder, but its excessively expensive. So this last option, being more convenient, affords some compromising.

Ben
03-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
Jet
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for all replies, you all have been helpful - finally I will get the Cokin holder + Hitech grad soon (hopefully), so I will see and test it on my own!

Have a great day!