Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question about kit lens hood

The lens hood for my DA 18-55 kit lens has a little door on the bottom baffle (not sure exactly what you call the sections of the hood). Anyway, this little door slides out and leaves an opening. What would this be used for?

02-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let me take a guess that you would rotate the hood so the opening is to the top for when you want to use the flash with the hood. Am I close?

Last edited by GregK8; 02-27-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: What a stupid guess. That can't be it.
02-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

If I read your description correctly, I believe that the door is removable so you can turn a polarizer filter with the hood attached.
The manual I believe covers this and says that it should be at the top. I have not used it yet but it would seem to me to rotate the hood so this opening is on the bottom would work better.
Maybe someone who uses this feature can tell us if it is a "feature" or a cosmetic "gimmick".

TomK
K200D
02-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't believe I never thought to look in the little manual that came in the lens. I did look it up and you are correct.

/me smacks himself in the head

02-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
If I read your description correctly, I believe that the door is removable so you can turn a polarizer filter with the hood attached.
The manual I believe covers this and says that it should be at the top. I have not used it yet but it would seem to me to rotate the hood so this opening is on the bottom would work better.
Maybe someone who uses this feature can tell us if it is a "feature" or a cosmetic "gimmick".

TomK
K200D
Having the hole available is a good feature and not just a gimmick if you use a circular polarizer. Its a little thing that may seem useless if you don't use it but handy if you do. Whether its on the top or bottom is probably user preference and if it works better for you on the bottom then use it that way. Or you could stick your finger inside the hood and turn it. Taking the hood off adds the risk of flare.
02-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Seems to me it makes more sense to put it on the bottom, as the sun is generally above you, not below you. The hole is a place where light can get in and partially defeat the flare-reducing properties of the hood, so I would think you'd be better of positioning it where the sun would not be shining directly in.

In other words, you can put that hole where the sun don't shine :-)
02-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Seems to me it makes more sense to put it on the bottom, as the sun is generally above you, not below you. The hole is a place where light can get in and partially defeat the flare-reducing properties of the hood, so I would think you'd be better of positioning it where the sun would not be shining directly in.

My thoughts exactly. I use the hood with a circular polarizer all the time, and I put the hole on the bottom. It's a very useful feature, and one that's not common on CaNikon lenses, AFAIK
02-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

I always put the cap back on before I take the photo.

02-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #9

It took me awhile to figure that out as well.

I have a few non polarizing filters from my film days that rotate. My favorite one uses a hologram to put starbursts on points of light like streetlights and such. I don't use it much but the hole in the hood would be perfect for it.

Last edited by THAN THE SWORD; 02-28-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: style
03-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Inactive Account

GregK8 said:
QuoteQuote:
I can't believe I never thought to look in the little manual that came in the lens.
What amazes me is that there is something like a 52 page manual for the lens. And of this I think about 6 or 8 pages deal exclusively with the lens hood - and there are 2 or 3 pages devoted just to the door thing-a-ma-jig.
However, as we saw, there are things in the manual that need to be there when we are looking for them!
Mow where did I put my Kodak Instamatic?

-TomK-
03-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

GregK8 said:

What amazes me is that there is something like a 52 page manual for the lens. And of this I think about 6 or 8 pages deal exclusively with the lens hood - and there are 2 or 3 pages devoted just to the door thing-a-ma-jig.
However, as we saw, there are things in the manual that need to be there when we are looking for them!

-TomK-
If only Pentax showed that kind of enthusiasm for documenting their flashguns...I guess they're a lens company at heart.
03-02-2009, 06:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

GregK8 said:

-TomK-
If you notice, the lens manual covers a range of lenses, not just the lens it was packed with. Each of my lenses came with the same manual.