Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #1

Pentax K100D off camera flash

Hi,

I have a Pentax K100D and would like to start doing shoots with people inside and outside using strobes.

Funds are not massive so i presume I will have to go wired at first.

What would I need for me to use my K100D with a wired off camera flash?

I would like to achieve shots like this..>
Photoshoot 061307

I know he uses 2 flashes but I would stick with one at first.

Thanks

02-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ebay will occasionally have deals on p-ttl cords. One end connects to the hotshoe on camera and the other end connects to the hotshoe connection on the flash. All of the connections and pins are there, so you should be able to use the flash just as if it were mounted. I know Codiac2000 used to do a bunch of bar photography holding a camera in one hand and the flash in the other. I haven't tried it, myself yet.
02-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Whether you need P-TTL cords or not will depend on whether your flash is P-TTL capable or not (please note that "TTL" and "P-TTL" are not the same thing).

If you want to go wired, you will need a hotshoe-pc adapter, a pc cord, and possibly a shoemount adapter to mount your flash on (depends if you flash can directly connect to a pc cord or not).
02-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks,

I was looking at the Pentax AF 360, is this a good flash to use inside and outside?
Im not to sure what TTL and P-TTL is?

02-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Whether you need P-TTL cords or not will depend on whether your flash is P-TTL capable or not (please note that "TTL" and "P-TTL" are not the same thing).
The cord doesn't know TTL or P-TTL. What matters is whether the cord has enough connections from the camera hotshoe to the flash.

QuoteQuote:
If you want to go wired, you will need a hotshoe-pc adapter, a pc cord, and possibly a shoemount adapter to mount your flash on (depends if you flash can directly connect to a pc cord or not).
That's what Pentax says. But that's too complication. All you need is a cord like this, which is widely available (e.g. FleaBay, Amazon 3rd party) for about $30 shipped. Do a search for "Pentax off camera flash cord."

02-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
That's what Pentax says
There's somewhere that Pentax tells us to use simple single-pin pc cords? I must have missed that.

What everyone is missing here is that what he needs to make the connection depends entirely on what is on the other end of the connection.
02-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daz85UK Quote
Thanks,

I was looking at the Pentax AF 360, is this a good flash to use inside and outside?
If you're on a budget and wanting to do off-camera flash, I'd like to point out that you'd be better off buying a cheap used flash and putting the money you save toward some wireless triggering solution, such as radio triggers. Wired connections are annoying and limiting, and are susceptible to things like inadvertently pulling over equipment or tripping on the cord.

If you want the details of the differences between TTL and P-TTL, it has been typed up numerous times and a search will reveal it. For the moment just know that your camera can NOT make use of TTL mode for flash exposure automation. We get a lot of "Hey I bought this TTL flash and can't get it to work with my new whiz-bang Pentax DSLR" around here.

Some samples of what can be done with a couple of $10~$30 flashes

02-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daz85UK Quote
Thanks,

TTL flashes are older technology for automating flash exposure. Your camera can only use P-TTL technology for completely automatic flash exposure, so you can more or less forget about TTL to make the discussion simpler. Just avoid TTL-only flashes. The P-TTL system sends out a short flash burst, measures the light that the camera gets back, does a quick calculation and tells the flash how much light to put out for the correct exposure.

You can buy equipment for the P-TTL system that will allow wired or wireless, single or multiple flashes. You can see many of the available P-TTL flashes in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/43215-pentax-p-...omparison.html
What you need for a working system depends greatly on what flashes you intend to buy. The AF-360FGZ is one of Pentax's P-TTL flashes, and the cord someone showed a picture of is a good inexpensive way to use it off-camera.

Another option is to use flashes that are set manually. Then you can purchase flashes and equipment that only have to know one signal: Fire! It makes that system more flexible, simpler, cheaper and more reliable. It also can be extended to other types of studio lighting. Of course, you have more work to do setting up the flashes or other lighting.

I suggest figuring out the final system you want first, then figure out the cost for doing that in a P-TTL system and a manual system. Then it will be easier to find a starting point which makes sense. The Camera Accessories section is a good place for more questions about flashes and lighting systems.
03-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Inactive Account

i recently bought a set of ebay slaves with 3 recievers for 40 shipped
then a sunpak flash for 20 shipped
and another sunpak for 26 shipped

just look on ebay
03-05-2009, 04:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
If I wwas to buy these two
Nissin SC-01 Universal TTL Off-Camera Shoe Cord (SC-01) - Warehouse Express
Pentax AF 360 FGZ Flashgun (21581) - Warehouse Express

Would I be able to use the flash off camera? obvioulsy it would still be wired.

Then if I was to get this:
Lighting & Studio - Flashguns - Triggers & Sync - Interfit - Warehouse Express
Could I use it wirelessly?

Sorry if all these questions sound stupid.

Thanks

Darren
03-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #11

Original Poster
I was also looking at the Metz 58 AF-1. Would this be able to be used with the products mentioned in the above post?
03-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

AF-360FGZ, AF-540FGZ, and Metz 58AF-1 are all full-featured P-TTL flashes and are good choices. The 540 and 58 have more power than the 360 and offer heads that both bounce and swivel. Note that you can probably buy a good pair of used AF-360FGZ for the price of one of the other flashes, which would allow you to use wireless P-TTL.

If you use that little IR trigger you'll lose all automation but would probably work with the flash in manual. This is true with most radio triggers as well. Most prefer radio triggers as they will work at greater range without line-of-sight.

As for that universal cord, it should work off-camera and they claim it will work with digital Pentax which I would take to mean P-TTL. Looks a little expensive? Bear in mind that it has a fairly short reach (1.5m) which may be sort of limiting.

Some would say your money goes farther with cheap manual flashes and cheap radio triggers but I have enjoyed using the wireless P-TTL.
03-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you are on a budget check this out. This is a nice kit at a reasonable price and will at least show you what you should have to get started.
Strobist 2 light kits
Also, see the Strobist 101 for info on how to get started.
Strobist