Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hot Pixels

I hope you guys don't mind all my stupid questions, but since moving up to the K20D from the K100DS I am running into more things I don't know about. Besides, I like talking to y'all.

Anyway, I have found what I think would be called a hot pixel, but it doesn't show up in every image. Maybe once every 10-20 frames. Here it is.

Seems easy to fix, but annoying none the less. Why does it only show up sometimes?

/g

Last edited by GregK8; 02-28-2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Trying to get the picture to show up.
03-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Would this question be more likely to be answered in a different forum?
03-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Random hot pixels. It's unique to the K20 sensor. No DSLR before or since has managed such a feat.
Theoretically, it is only supposed to happen with the factory shipped firmware and the 2 second delay, but I never trusted this to be the case.
Apparently installing the firmware update makes it go away.
03-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, although I just purchased this camera, it was manufactured last year and has the original 1.00 firmware on it. Every time it happens, it looks to be in the same spot though. I suppose it couldn't hurt to upgrade the firmware and see what happens.

Thanks.

03-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Well, although I just purchased this camera, it was manufactured last year and has the original 1.00 firmware on it. Every time it happens, it looks to be in the same spot though. I suppose it couldn't hurt to upgrade the firmware and see what happens.

Thanks.
If it alsways is in the same place you can map it out. Refer the manual page 235.
All sensors have hot pixels, and will most likely develop more over time. Fortunately the user can map them out on newer cameras like the K20D. Before that the camera would have to go in for service.

Shooting raw is another way to solve the issue since most raw converters will get rid of the hot pixels.
03-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Random hot pixels. It's unique to the K20 sensor. No DSLR before or since has managed such a feat.
It's not unique to K20, sometimes I also get these random hot pixels on my K-m (they look exactly the same as in the above picture).
03-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
It's not unique to K20, sometimes I also get these random hot pixels on my K-m (they look exactly the same as in the above picture).
I see. They've taken it from flaw to feature.
How clever of them.
03-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I see. They've taken it from flaw to feature.
How clever of them.
i get them in my k100ds all the time, but adobe gets rid of them without problems; but they still annoy the heck out of me

03-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I noticed 1 hot pixel when I got my k-m. I just recently tried the pixel mapping. Hopefully this solves the problem.