Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lenses for France

Hello All!! I've got myself a K200D and a couple of lenses. I am going on a two-week trip to France spending most of my time in Paris and Nantes and perhaps taking a train over to London.

What lenses should I take from my modest collection for my trip?

DA 18-55 (Kit lens Autofocus)
Pentax SMC 50mm/f2 (Manual)
Pentax SMC 135mm/f3.5 (Manual)
Vivitar 28mm Wide Angle (Manual)
Promaster Spectrum 7 (Autofocus) 70-300mm

I've got an idea or two of my own, but I was curious as to what you all might think.

I'm also waiting for my order of 8 Eneloops and a Maha MH-C204W White World Charger Kit.

I also have a small...cheap...tripod.

Oh..and how many/what kind of SD cards should I grab?

2GB
4GB
8GB
16GB

?!!?

So many questions I've never thought of!!

I have always been so content with my Lithium batteries, and my 1GB SD card!

Last edited by jordieb213; 03-01-2009 at 02:17 PM.
03-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Having just gone to Paris I can say one thing: WIDE. If you can buy/borrow/steal something like a 10-20 you'll be set. The interiors in a lot of the buildings are vast and having an ultrawide really helps.
03-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, if you are traveling light I'd say stick to the 18-55 and 70-300. If weight is no issue then take them all!

If you want to spend a few $ before leaving, I'd suggest a fast prime to use inside musuems (you can get a manual M50mm f1.7 or A50mm f1.7 under $100, or the nice auto FA50mm f1.4 for under $200).

Tripod is nice to have, but don't forget they are forbidden in almost all musuems.

I assume you'll be shooting mostly in jpg format so for SD cards I'd get 3-4 2gb cards. (Following the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" matra here plus 2gb cards are super cheap nowadays)

Great setup for batteries, but I'd probably take a pack of energizer lithiums as a backup just in case (they are so light, I always keep an unopen set at the bottom of my k100 bag just in case)

A small point and shoot is also pretty usefull as a backup camera, and for situations where pulling out the big camera is not appropriate or feasable.

Don't forget a comfortable camera bag!

Pat
03-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Having just gone to Paris I can say one thing: WIDE. If you can buy/borrow/steal something like a 10-20 you'll be set. The interiors in a lot of the buildings are vast and having an ultrawide really helps.
I'd like to second this, I'd bring my 16-50mm f2.8.
Anything wider is better, and bring something stronger than f3.5 for indoors (churches and the like)
Bring the tripod.

- Bert

03-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Out of what you currently have, the 18-55, 70-300, and 50/2 should work just fine. If you've got the money and want to go a little bit wider and have constant aperture, then you might want to see about picking up a DA16-45; they've been going for under $250 in the Marketplace, as of late. If you want just a little more speed on that fast 50, then an A50/1.7 would fit the bill at under $100; with the "A" setting on the aperture ring, that'll make it a little easier to use than the K or M series lenses.

Memory cards: I would say to pick up 3-4 4GB cards. You want all the memory you can get.

Since a tripod can be such a pain to keep up with and isn't allowed in so many places, have you considered getting a monopod and a small ballhead? Often times, even when tripods aren't allowed, you can get away with a monopod.

Ditto getting a good bag for it all. Something like a Tamrac Express 7 or a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home should fit the bill and when you look at them, neither scream "CAMERA BAG".

HTH,
Heather
03-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I suggest adding a tiny Ultrapod II tripod to your kit. I've used this a lot on trips (including Europe) when I'm not going to carry a full size tripod. Great if you want to take some night shots or use the self timer and get yourself in the shot.

Given your current gear I'd say bring the 18-55 and 50/2, and I guess the 70-300 though I imagine it's fairly bulky so if you don't use tele much the M135 would be much smaller.

Have a great trip!

I'm also an advocate of multiple 2GB cards & not putting all eggs in one basket. Even when shooting RAW, these cards hold 100 pictures so it isn't like you're changing constantly. I had historically also avoided cards >2GB because a lot of readers can't handle them...but this is less true today and now with even larger K20D raw files I'm starting to get tempted towards larger cards in the future. Anyway, these cards are pretty cheap now, and you won't want to run out.
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

As wide as you can get.

6 inch tripod. Most indoor places do not allow tripods. You can get away with a tiny one, and brace it against almost anything.

As much memory as you can afford. Do not let it limit your shots.

03-11-2009, 10:45 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You guys are all awesome and I appreciate the feedback!! I'm leaving today at 2:45 pm. I really want to bring all my lenses because they are all unique, but I think I'll be leaving the 28mm....

The 135 is a great lens
The 50/F2 will be good for inside a low-light room
The 18-55 is great all around
And...the 70-300 is pretty good...haven't decided if I want to lug that sucker around or not.

Thank you so much for the input, and I will definitely be posting photos from my trip in another week or so..

Thanks again!!!

-Jordan