Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2009, 07:58 AM   #1

Newb question.....

I have just received the Pentax *ist DL DSLR camera for a birthday gift from my wife. She got it at a really good price knowing that it is just something that I have wanted to get into for awile. I am really excited and will probably take a class this summer to learn fully how to use it. It came with a lens.

My question is that I have an old 35mm minolta camera with some zoom lenses and was wondering if these would be compatible with my new camera. Everyone I speak with says that they are not allowed to comment on lens comaptability (isn't that waht customer support is for?). It is an Albinar - ADG 80-200mm lens. On the front it says MC AUTO ZOOM MACRO. I know it's a cheap lens, but don't want to sink a lot of money into buying a new one until I learn how to properly use this thing.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Take Care,
Shawn

03-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi there shawn, welcome to the hobby!

Your Minolta lens is an "MC" mount and is not compatible with Pentax.

Pentax dslr's are compatible with all "K" mount lenses, so almost any old pentax lens will work on your dslr (within the limits of the lens of course! a manual focus lens won't magically become an auto focus lens but it will fit and work manually on your camera ).

Pat
03-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
OK, Thanks. I have read about aftermarket adapters. Is there one available to make an "MC mount" lens compatible?
03-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've seen adapters to make M42 (aka screw-mount) compatible to most major SLR brands (Pentax, Canon, Nikon, Minolta), but I've never seen a straight minolta to pentax adapter.

I could be wrong, but considering your lens has to sit at a very precise distance from the film/sensor I don't really see how such an adaptor would be possible without extensively modifying the lens or losing basic capabilities (like infinity focus).

Pat

03-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and explain things to me. Are there any cheaper lenses that you would recommend to a newb like me? Keep in mind, I am very new to this and don't want / need the best available; just something for the "weekend warrior". I only paid $280 for the camera and lens so I am looking to keep it relatively inexpensive and easy to use. Thakns again.

Shawn
03-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, if you check out the "for sale" forum here, as well as ebay, you'll find many affordable lenses...

In the manual realm, you can find the essencial M 50mm f1.7 for around $50 and a 135mm f2.5 or 2.8 around $100.

For auto lenses, you can pick up the kit lenses for a song... the DA18-55 and DA50-200 are selling in the $80-150 range as people upgrade. They are not bad lenss, but many people will upgrade for a faster 18-55 and longer reach like a 55-300.

Pat
03-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by shawn474 Quote
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and explain things to me. Are there any cheaper lenses that you would recommend to a newb like me? Keep in mind, I am very new to this and don't want / need the best available; just something for the "weekend warrior". I only paid $280 for the camera and lens so I am looking to keep it relatively inexpensive and easy to use. Thakns again.

Shawn
Hey Shawn
A suggestion...................
Send out an e-mail to all your friends, coworkers, etc.
Ask if anyone has old Pentax lenses lying around and that they may be willing to sell. You may be surprised.
I did this and ended up with the Sigma 175-500 , the 75-300, the 50 f1.7, and the 28 2.8 listed in my signature for LESS than $500 total!
The great thing about Pentax is the "reverse compatibility"...............old lenses WILL work.
Good luck.
03-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Everyone I speak with says that they are not allowed to comment on lens comaptability (isn't that waht customer support is for?).
Probably because of the Ricoh thing... see below.

It is an Albinar - ADG 80-200mm lens. On the front it says MC AUTO ZOOM MACRO. I know it's a cheap lens, but don't want to sink a lot of money into buying a new one until I learn how to properly use this thing.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Take Care,
Shawn
No, no minolta lenses will work.
just for reference..
Camera Mounts Sorted by Register
No SMALLER register distance will work on a camera w/ a larger register distance without throwing a glass element or 2 in the adaptor.
BTW were are you located in general... country wise?
If you want a cheap learners lens, pick up a 28-80 Pentax AF lens. Or another brand of AF lens.. at the least an "A" type lens...
W/ A type lenses watch out for PK-R lenses or straight Ricoh lenses (which are K mount). some have a pin that can jam the lens to the camera.
ALSO, if you do go manual and screw mount only get the real Pentax screw to bayonet adapter. There are 2 kinds of non-pentax adapters. One w/ a flange (which will lose infinity focus for you) and one without (seems some people have had problems with these but the Russian ones (I believe) work OK. just not an area worth skimping on.

cheap lenses.. almost all 28-80 zooms.. like this one;
28-80 F3.5-5.6 TAMRON ASPHERICAL (58) SILVER WITH CAPS 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM WIDE ANGLE LENS
Product Specs
AP09999058946N

Grade Now Was
EX $25.00

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=&item=20&ActivateTOC2=&...BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

There used to be some nice 70-210 sigma's AF out there for cheap as well.... best to look around.

IF they have this lens in stock (non-AF) with the exchange rate it would be 58.27.. and a fair bargain.
Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 SMC, Caps ex++ $75.00 Cdn
http://www.vintagevisuals.com/pentax.htm

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-02-2009 at 09:59 PM.
03-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #9

I already knew that Minolta lenses would not work but its too bad. I have a ton of them. Like someone said I heard of an adapter for the screw mounts but thats it.

Good luck
03-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

AFAIK, Sony dSLRs will take Minolta lenses, 'cause Sony bought Minolta! My bro-in-law inherited a pile of Minolta lenses and thus bought a Sony A100 (I think).

Minolta, or almost any other lenses, CAN be used on Pentax or other cams, but not the way you think. A reverse adapter will screw onto the front of an odd lens, which can then be used for manual-only macrophotography, often with extension tubes or a bellows. Or with a male-to-male adapter, the odd prime lens can be placed (reversed) in front of your camera's prime lens. Again, this is for macro work.

But how many macro lenses does one need? You might want to either get a Sony dSLR for those Minolta lenses, or sell them and buy more Pentax glass. G'luck.