Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #1

Need a 2nd body

Last year I purchased a K20d for my bf. Since then, I've gotten more interested in photography and have been sharing the camera with him. We have gotten a few lenses (mostly pawn shop finds), and have both become pretty attached to the camera, although our taste in lenses seems to vary.

We have now decided we need a second body so that we are not always having to fight over the camera.

What body would you guys recommend that would not cause us to argue over who gets to use the "better" body? Do you think that there is a big enough difference between the results we will get with a K200d or K2000d (or an older model)? Neither of us are professional photographers, it's just hobbyist stuff at this point, and most of our photos are only on the web, so my gut feeling is that it won't make a difference.

The other option is to wait for the upgrade to the K20d and get it.

Anyone else ever been in this situation? How did you resolve it?

Last edited by die444die; 03-03-2009 at 11:49 PM.
03-03-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by die444die Quote
Last year I purchased a K20d for my bf. Since then, I've gotten more interested in photography and have been sharing the camera with him. We have gotten a few lenses (mostly pawn shop finds), and have both become pretty attached to the camera, although our taste in lenses seems to vary.

We have now decided we need a second body so that we are not always having to fight over the camera.

What body would you guys recommend that would not cause us to argue over who gets to use the "better" body? Do you think that there is a big enough difference between the results we will get with a K200d or K2000d (or an older model)? Neither of us are professional photographers, it's just hobbyist stuff at this point, and most of our photos are only on the web, so my gut feeling is that it won't make a difference.

The other option is to wait for the upgrade to the K20d and get it.

Anyone else ever been in this situation? How did you resolve it?
Hello I have never been in this situacion, but it's nice you both too have same hobbies

I would go for a k200d. It's a great camera and it have pretty much k20d in it. It depens very much how much you can afford.

A k20d is not too expensive and could be seen as an alternative too.
The upgrade to k20d will not be too soon and in my opinion the most important is to shot and don't mind too much about the gear, so in your case I would just get a camera as fast as posible so you can start with the funny part in photography (shooting)

so my tips. k20d or k200d.
In other case the new k-m seams very fine and it's very cheap indeed.
You have older models too, but in that case i would almost prefer buy a used pentax, and pay the same for a better model
03-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think you are going to see big differences in the output unless you crop heavily. I could be wrong, I'm still using a 6Mp camera.

The two control wheels of the K20D mean that a single control wheel camera will handle differently. It may not be a big deal with old non-A lenses, since you can't control aperture anyway. I think if you both use the two control wheels a lot, you should look at a K20D, K10D or even *ist D. The *ist D means you can't share memory cards. The K10D is nearly the same camera as the K20D, just a different sensor.

Another way to dodge the "better camera" debate is the K2000D. It's much smaller than the K20D. Lots of K20D owners have a K2000D as a second body to use with small prime lenses. The big telephotos can stay with the K20D. You can even get a white K2000D so it's easy to tell them apart.
03-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Last year I purchased a K20d for my bf.
Lucky dude.

Smart.

What body would you guys recommend that would not cause us to argue over who gets to use the "better" body?
K20D. Then there's no discussion.

Do you think that there is a big enough difference between the results we will get with a K200d or K2000d (or an older model)?
It's probably not a horrible time to buy a K20D. When its replacement eventually comes out (I'm expecting a K200D replacement first...?) it will likely cost well over $1000. Honestly though I could be quite happy with a K200D or K10D as well. K10D is really close to the K20D, the differences are really pretty subtle. The K200D is a little smaller which may or may not be appealing to you. The difference you're likely to notice is that it is a single-edial rather than dual-edial design, and there are generally fewer external controls; have to go to the menus to change metering mode, AF points, bracketing, AF.C vs. AF.S, etc, and you lose TAv mode. The K200D also has a somewhat smaller pentaprism viewfinder. All that being said, you really may prefer the smaller body, especially if you like smaller lenses. Personally I'm not that interested in the K2000, the K200D is more appealing to me--there are a few economies taken there that don't appeal to me--but if your needs are as basic as you suggest, perhaps you would like it. If you expect to be the user of this camera you might want to give it a test-handle in a store if possible.

Hope this helps, good luck.

03-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

K20D for sure. You'll miss the extra features it has over the K200D.
Forget the 'upgrade' to the K20D - whenever it comes - the K20D is a VERY capable camera.
Enjoy choosing!
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Since then, I've gotten more interested in photography and have been sharing the camera with him.
Get a K20D. K20D has a lot of useful modes, enough knobs so that you don't have to hunt through menus, as well as a much better pentaprism viewfinder. I was straining my eyeball trying to manually focus on K200D even with a split prism focusing screen.

I got a K20D body recently for the equivalent of 700 USD (not including Canadian taxes). I was waiting for PMA and intending to buy a used K20D: The announcement of a new model could've brought down the prices of used K20Ds. Since there was no new model, I just purchased a new K20D.
04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
well... I totally disregarded what everyone said here and bought a K100d Super. It was $314 from Ritz, which seemed like a decent price, and most importantly I wanted one for an event this weekend and this one was in my price range.

Considering I haven't made any prints and most of my pics are just sitting on my computer eating up a ridiculous amount of space, I figured the 6.1 MP wasn't such a problem. Guess I'll find out now... heh.
04-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I figured the 6.1 MP wasn't such a problem. Guess I'll find out now... heh.
What you need to do now is tell your boyfriend that since you don't have as many megapixels to work with as he has, then you need a really good long lens so you won't have to crop as much.

04-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

That was nice of you to buy your bf a K20 and not have a camera yourself, I bought my wife a K20 after she wouldn't give back my K10 now I'm buying a slightly used K10 as a backup body for my assistant to learn with as she comes from a old school film background (b&w medium format up to 8x10 cameras) we have shot both at the same events and even under dark conditions the results were close the K20 is a bit better in dark dark situations but otherwise the K10 held its own just fine, the feel and handling of both are the same so not much change to grab it and go. I you want to see some shots taken with both go to my site and look at the two battle of the bands galleries (Tammany Hall and WBCN Battle of the High School Bands) note the Tammany Hall show we used a 18-55 kit lens on the K10 and a 70-200 f2.8 Tamron on the K20 at the next show the K10 got a new Sigma 17-50 f2.8 much better results.

Good luck in your decision.
04-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

oh, boy, you're in trouble.

well, that's all i can say really. even with two k20d's, you would be in trouble.

i recommend buying a nikon (not canon, too easy to adapt k-mount lenses on it), having the same system might sound like it makes a lot of sense, but who gets the long lens when you both go shooting birds (random example)? and ofcourse, you cannot have two similar lenses, it's absurd as you can share lenses (that's why you have the same system). and round and round it goes.

i know what i'm talking about. i ended up shooting manual focus lenses only (i started out with the double DA kit), smc-m all of them (no A ), that's fine by me, as i like those lenses better, but still, that's just a happy accident that i do..

seriously, have a lot of fun, sharing the hobby can be very nice, sometimes it can be hard, but overall i think it's great. one tip for you two is to get a pair of cheap portable walkie-talkies (they cost pennies these days), they will enable you to separate and go each shoot what each feels like, in the same location, having to share very close spots _every_ time can often spoil the fun for at least one of the two (ymmv, ofcourse).

--
nanok
04-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
oh, boy, you're in trouble.

well, that's all i can say really. even with two k20d's, you would be in trouble.

i recommend buying a nikon (not canon, too easy to adapt k-mount lenses on it), having the same system might sound like it makes a lot of sense, but who gets the long lens when you both go shooting birds (random example)? and ofcourse, you cannot have two similar lenses, it's absurd as you can share lenses (that's why you have the same system). and round and round it goes.

i know what i'm talking about. i ended up shooting manual focus lenses only (i started out with the double DA kit), smc-m all of them (no A ), that's fine by me, as i like those lenses better, but still, that's just a happy accident that i do..

seriously, have a lot of fun, sharing the hobby can be very nice, sometimes it can be hard, but overall i think it's great. one tip for you two is to get a pair of cheap portable walkie-talkies (they cost pennies these days), they will enable you to separate and go each shoot what each feels like, in the same location, having to share very close spots _every_ time can often spoil the fun for at least one of the two (ymmv, ofcourse).

--
nanok

The walkie talkie idea is awesome. I already have some and hadn't even considered throwing them in the bag. We pretty much go our own way once we get somewhere. I'm more interested in people/animal shots, he's always looking for bugs.

So far we seem to prefer different lenses. I've been mostly using a 50mm f/2 A lens and a 55mm 1.8 M lens (Still trying to decide which I like better). My pictures are consistantly better with these than they are with our DA zoom lenses.

He tends to stay with the zoom lenses, and is able to produce great shots with those.

I know what you are saying though, I'm just hoping it won't apply.

Anyway, here's a shot I took with the 100d... I had to do some PP to get the colors right. I took this with the 55m and I think I'm still missing something with the exposure settings. Colors always look great with the A 50mm, but frequently flat with this one.
Attached Images