Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Canadian Cannonite looking to get into pentax film cameras.

Hi all,

I'm new to the pentax system and thought I'd say hello. I have an old spotmatic IB dated to the 1950-60s that I'm learning on stepping into film with. My name is Karl and I'm a pro-photographer in the canadian arctic and specialize in northern lights' fine art. Most of my invested gear is in Canon.

I want to learn as much as I can about film, but I only have a 55 1.8 super takumar m42 mount lens, and have had a really hard time locating other lenses to fit this camera. I really like the pictures yielded from the pentax, though. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could get a special m42 mount for my canon lenses and use them on the spotmatic.

Crazy dream eh? I don't know much about film, yet, but does the camera body have to do with a lot of how good your pictures will turn out (like in digital) or is it the quality of the film in the camera?

Anyone got a link to a dealer where I can buy pentax m42 mount lenses in Canada?

If you're interested in what I do you can see my gallery, located here;

http://www.satoristudios.wordpress.com

Last edited by Karl J; 03-10-2009 at 02:56 PM.
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Karl J Quote
I was wondering if anyone knew if I could get a special m42 mount for my canon lenses and use them on the spotmatic.
answer is no, the canon EF mount has the shortest registration distance (from back of lens to the sensor/film iirc) out of any current camera. which is why almost all SLR lenses should at least mount on canon, however, there are other issues w/ regards to hitting the mirror.

QuoteQuote:
Crazy dream eh? I don't know much about film, yet, but does the camera body have to do with a lot of how good your pictures will turn out (like in digital) or is it the quality of the film in the camera?
a film camera is just a light sealed box really. however, fancier cameras do help you focus and meter better. but same lens, same film, same exposure should give the same results.

why not get your Spot tuned up, buy some film and try it out again? although i guess getting film developed in the Arctic might be a problem.

QuoteQuote:
Anyone got a link to a dealer where I can buy pentax m42 mount lenses in Canada?
craiglist, ebay, the usual sources
03-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can start searching the marketplace for Takumars =) And check out the takumar thread. All my Takumars are from this forum
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
keep in mind m42 used to be a very common lens mount (aka m42 "universal" mount), so you wil be bale to find very cheap lenses which are non-pentax (yashica, praktica/pentacon, vivitar, some russian stuff,sometimes pretty good, come to mind).

have a lot of fun

03-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the help!

True, I will have to search around for these lenses, but they seem to be of very good quality and it'll be an interesting treasure hunt.

Now to figure out how to set up a darkroom
03-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
keep in mind m42 used to be a very common lens mount (aka m42 "universal" mount), so you wil be bale to find very cheap lenses which are non-pentax (yashica, praktica/pentacon, vivitar, some russian stuff,sometimes pretty good, come to mind).

have a lot of fun
Yes...it should be pretty easy to find some good cheap lenses. I recently picked up an excellent Vivitar 135/2.8 for $30 and a week later got a matching Vivitar 200/3.5 for $35. (If I had been quicker on placing a bid, I could have gotten a similar Vivitar 200/3.5 for only $15.00!) Both of these older M42 teles have excellent sharpness and contrast and have great build as well. What a deal...

Steve
03-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In my LBA frenzy last year, I bought about 60 M42 and M39 lenses on eBay, with a mean cost of about US$20 each, including shipping. A crisp Asahi Takumar 55/1.8 cost under US$7.50. Yes, these lenses are affordable.

Setting up your Arctic darkroom will be fun fun fun. Field-processing B&W film isn't be too difficult; hauling around chemical trays, an enlarger, and a lightproof tent will be more of a challenge, especially keeping your chemistry at tolerable temperatures. Long ago I used a Stabilization Processor (from Spiratone) for fast, trayless, B&W printmaking, but the images deteriorate before long. I also tried DIY color processing and printing, but the temperature requirements were not feasible for field work. In a powered, heated igloo, you might have a chance...

03-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
In my LBA frenzy last year, I bought about 60 M42 and M39 lenses on eBay,...

60!

That's impressive! I'm strangely envious.

Dave
03-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
60!
That's impressive! I'm strangely envious.
It's only money.